My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

connecting earthnet cable

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rexleroy

hi I have two humax boxes.2000t and humax foxsat hdr.
    The 200t is connected by home plugs
    I would like to connect the other humax to the earthnet cable.
    Can some kind person tell me what type of connection I would need.

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 14:57:38 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can use multiple devices on one ethernet cable using a cheap network switch.

Example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LB-Link-Fast-Ethernet-5-Port-Network-Hub-LAN-Switch-RJ45-Splitter-Adapter-UK-/221956318676?hash=item33ada0a5d4:g:3QYAAOSwp5JWXY6H

Just plug in a short patch cable from the two boxes and the existing cable to the router (any port) and plug in the power.

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 15:05:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rexleroy

Hi graham the two humax boxes next to each other.
    in a different room from the router I have a earthnet cable going to the t2ooo.Iwould like to connect the other box using the same home plug

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 15:23:16 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rexleroy - 1 minute ago  » 
    Hi graham the two humax boxes next to each other.
    in a different room from the router I have a earthnet cable going to the t2ooo.Iwould like to connect the other box using the same home plug

A tad confused,

If I have it right you have two boxes in the same room, one connected by a home plug and one connected by a direct cable ?

If correct why would you want to connect both by a homeplug device when you have a direct cable ?

The cable will work reliably at 100Mbps, the performance of the Homeplug is likely to be less than this.

In any case to connect two devices to one homeplug you would need a network switch like the one linked to.

Basically get rid of the homeplug and replace with a network switch. I have one ethernet cable from my lounge, it is used for the following:

Panasonic smart TV, Foxsat-HDR, HDR1000S, two HDR FOX T2's, Amazon Fire TV, Smart blu-ray player and a Yamaha AV receiver.

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 15:32:55 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Get the switch (or similar) described by Graham. Connect switch using ethernet to the homeplug, connect your two boxes to the switch using ethernet.

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 15:33:34 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

rexleroy

The reason I want to connect the earthnet cable to the other box
    is I can use catchup tv.

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 15:45:49 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

rexleroy - 13 minutes ago  » 
    is I can use catchup tv.

As everybody is telling you the easiest way to do this in your situation is with a network switch. An alternative would be to get a Homeplug with two network ports but this is likely to cost more money and perform less well. Perhaps you can explain why you are reluctant to use a network switch?

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 16:01:16 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rexleroy - 34 minutes ago  » 
    is I can use catchup tv.

To use catch up all you require is both boxes connected to your router. A direct cable is by far the cheapest and most reliable way. You already have one, you can use it to connect lots of devices using a high speed network switch with enough sockets. In your case you only need a minimum of 3 (one for each box and one for the cable to your router). That will leave a spare socket for another network device, laptop, network media player or any other networkable device. If you need more

Up to 15 boxes

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/16-port-netgear-jfs516-10-100-switch-fe-unmanaged-switch

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 16:25:35 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

rexleroy

I am 76 years old I don!t know what a network switch is

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 16:28:17 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I am 71 and there is a link to one in post 2 (just click on it). The only other items you require is two short cat 5 patch cables.

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-RJ45-Cat5e-Ethernet-Network-LAN-Internet-Router-Modem-UTP-Patch-Cable-Lead-UK-/311049506457?hash=item486bfece99:g:SO8AAOSwwPhWi8I3

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 16:42:26 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.