My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Considering an FVP 4000T to replace Fox T2

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Miffo

Hi,

My Fox T2 is freezing regularly so thought it must be time to upgrade. This FVP 4000T looks excellent in terms of specs but I read a few reviews on Amazon that put me off. Some are fixed with recent firmware upgrades but the killer for me is that there's no button on the remote to skip past adverts. I use that constantly. How awkward is the system used on this 4000T?

There's no button to go to the recorded items either but that doesn't sound like too much of a deal.

My other question is, is there a custom firmware install for it? I had to install a custom firmware to get the ability to take HD recordings off the PVR via USB so I could play it on my tablet when on holiday. Normally (with the T2 anyway) you can only transfer SD content to USB.

Anyone else made the same move? Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks.

Peter.

| Mon 26 Sep 2016 11:52:59 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

svtdot

I found the same problem. You need to experiment with the arrow keys. Once you understand its great. A better m/c that my Foxsat HD.

| Mon 26 Sep 2016 12:17:54 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Skipping adverts is easy just use the left/right cursor buttons, option for duration of skip can be set in menu's

If you get the new remote with your unit then there is one button access to recordings.

No custom firmware.

| Mon 26 Sep 2016 12:19:09 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Miffo - 25 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    My Fox T2 is freezing regularly so thought it must be time to upgrade. This FVP 4000T looks excellent in terms of specs but I read a few reviews on Amazon that put me off. Some are fixed with recent firmware upgrades but the killer for me is that there's no button on the remote to skip past adverts. I use that constantly. How awkward is the system used on this 4000T?
    There's no button to go to the recorded items either but that doesn't sound like too much of a deal.
    My other question is, is there a custom firmware install for it? I had to install a custom firmware to get the ability to take HD recordings off the PVR via USB so I could play it on my tablet when on holiday. Normally (with the T2 anyway) you can only transfer SD content to USB.
    Anyone else made the same move? Interested in your thoughts.
    Thanks.
    Peter.

In answer to the skipping past adverts, there is a setting that allows you to skip forward either 30, 60, 120 or 240 seconds. You can also set reverse skip to 7, 15 or 30 seconds.
    As for a custom firmware, I don't know of any but it is possible to transfer SD content for playing via your intranet or USB. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Beat me to it Barry.

| Mon 26 Sep 2016 12:25:23 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Miffo

Thanks for the replies. So I just hit the cursor right button to skip forward the configured interval? That's just like the Fox T2 so that's fantastic. (and the left button too). It sounds like a small thing but it would really bother me.

Perhaps I can live without transfer of HD content to USB.

But - can I stream HD content via DLNA? That's a must-have as we sometimes watch recorded programmes on a TV in another room (using a Fire TV stick - quite a cool feature).

| Mon 26 Sep 2016 14:32:00 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Miffo - 35 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the replies. So I just hit the cursor right button to skip forward the configured interval? That's just like the Fox T2 so that's fantastic. (and the left button too). It sounds like a small thing but it would really bother me.
    But - can I stream HD content via DLNA? That's a must-have as we sometimes watch recorded programmes on a TV in another room (using a Fire TV stick - quite a cool feature).

Not quite. You need to hit the right cursor which brings up a small menu at the bottom of the screen to allow Rewind, Pause, Fast Forward or Stop. There is also an 'Elapsed Time' above the other commands. That needs to be highlighted to enable the Left Arrow reverse or Right Arrow skip forward. If it is not highlighted then you need to press the Up arrow. It comes naturally quite quickly.

I don't think you can stream HD content.

| Mon 26 Sep 2016 15:12:43 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Miffo

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll have to get a second hand T2! Cheers.

| Mon 26 Sep 2016 21:16:34 #7 |
  8. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

First I would recommended installing the custom firmware and running fix disk (available from hummy.tv). You may have a fixable disk or filesystem problem. If it is the disk and it cannot be fixed, it is quite easy to replace.

| Tue 27 Sep 2016 1:28:45 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

J_Oz - 19 hours ago  » 

Not quite. You need to hit the right cursor which brings up a small menu at the bottom of the screen to allow Rewind, Pause, Fast Forward or Stop. There is also an 'Elapsed Time' above the other commands. That needs to be highlighted to enable the Left Arrow reverse or Right Arrow skip forward. If it is not highlighted then you need to press the Up arrow. It comes naturally quite quickly.

Your post has me confused now. Are you saying that once you have set the skip time 240s which is bang on the ad break time you can't then use this by simply pressing the fast forward key? Your post implies that a small menu appears initially or have I got that wrong?

With the HDR 1000s and the 2000T both of which I own, simply hitting the fast forward key as the programme moves to an ad break is all that is required. I love this feature.

| Tue 27 Sep 2016 11:15:58 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Faust - 4 minutes ago  » 

J_Oz - 19 hours ago  » 

Your post has me confused now. Are you saying that once you have set the skip time 240s which is bang on the ad break time you can't then use this by simply pressing the fast forward key? Your post implies that a small menu appears initially or have I got that wrong?
    With the HDR 1000s and the 2000T both of which I own, simply hitting the fast forward key as the programme moves to an ad break is all that is required. I love this feature.

You haven't got it wrong. The key you press is the right arrow key which has different functions depending on what you are doing. My post states that a small menu appears which it does.

| Tue 27 Sep 2016 11:23:26 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.