My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Copy recorded programs to NAS

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

I have given up trying to stream recorded programs to other devices using DLNA... it's erratic and available functions seem limited, though the ability to stream live TV over DLNA is fantastic.

But I am setting up a Synology NAS drive and I had thought, if I did a nightly 'backup' from Aura -> NAS then I could play them back far more reliably through the NAS apps, Plex, whatever.

I am guessing that because Aura supports FTP I should be able to do this using rsync or something... not used it in anger before though.
    I don't suppose anyone here has done anything like this, even just to backup their shows?

| Wed 29 Nov 2023 16:49:22 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Misterhumax - 26 mins ago  » 
    But I am setting up a Synology NAS drive and I had thought, if I did a nightly 'backup' from Aura -> NAS then I could play them back far more reliably through the NAS apps, Plex, whatever.
    I am guessing that because Aura supports FTP I should be able to do this using rsync or something... not used it in anger before though.

I think you will need to experiment to find what works. Keep in mind that HD recordings will not be playable because of encryption.

I don't suppose anyone here has done anything like this, even just to backup their shows?

There have certainly been reports of people doing this with FTP and even some reports of being able to restore them to the Aura (although the process isn't immediately obvious).

| Wed 29 Nov 2023 17:21:09 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

I wasn't aware HD recordings were encrypted, that could be annoying. The Aura must decrypt on-the-fly when you network stream then?

Can you point me in the direction where to learn more... even if just terms to google/search in the manual?

Thanks

| Wed 29 Nov 2023 17:26:38 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Misterhumax - 6 mins ago  » 
    I wasn't aware HD recordings were encrypted, that could be annoying. The Aura must decrypt on-the-fly when you network stream then?

It has to decrypt on the fly however they are played (even direct to the TV) but it is quick because it is done in hardware on the Aura. To stream HD programmes requires a device at the other end that understands the DTCP-IP protocol.

Can you point me in the direction where to learn more... even if just terms to google/search in the manual?

I can't make any useful suggestions; you just have to google away until you get on the right trail.

| Wed 29 Nov 2023 17:38:37 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

Ah yes I found some other posts explaining why you can't say, and another site but you already replied before I could remove the question.

Sounds what I want to do is probably too much trouble to be worth it.

Shame because the shoddy DLNA makes it unusable for me and it's a lovely feature on paper. I've tried VLC, KODI and at least one other on FireStick, my desktop Mac, and Roku... when it works at all pressing ANY playback button (pause, FFW, etc) restarts the entire program from the beginning.

For live TV none of that matters and it's pretty useful to avoid having to use awful catcup apps like ITVX/4OD

| Wed 29 Nov 2023 17:46:01 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

There are various options for recording unencrypted HD content (which aren't Freeview licensed) that might do what you want but discussion on that topic isn't within the rules of this forum and I have no personal experience of them.

| Wed 29 Nov 2023 19:09:21 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

Misterhumax - 2 hours ago  » ... when it works at all pressing ANY playback button (pause, FFW, etc) restarts the entire program from the beginning.
    For live TV none of that matters and it's pretty useful to avoid having to use awful catcup apps like ITVX/4OD

Correct, I used to use Kodi on a firestick on an upstairs TV to stream old SD programs without any problems with pause FWD/REW etc. As you say doing anything other that a straightforward playback of HD recordings will result in being kicked back to the start.

| Wed 29 Nov 2023 20:46:59 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

Harters - 3 hours ago  » 

Misterhumax - 2 hours ago  » ... when it works at all pressing ANY playback button (pause, FFW, etc) restarts the entire program from the beginning.

Correct, I used to use Kodi on a firestick on an upstairs TV to stream old SD programs without any problems with pause FWD/REW etc. As you say doing anything other that a straightforward playback of HD recordings will result in being kicked back to the start.

I hadn't noticed it was only erratic on HD but that sort of makes sense.
    Annoyingly the main thing I have recorded is Frasier series linked on 4HD but I'm sure it's SD content. if I recorded it on SD it probably would've worked fine with no quality difference

| Thu 30 Nov 2023 0:01:26 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

Misterhumax - 11 hours ago  » 

Harters - 3 hours ago  » 

I hadn't noticed it was only erratic on HD but that sort of makes sense.
    Annoyingly the main thing I have recorded is Frasier series linked on 4HD but I'm sure it's SD content. if I recorded it on SD it probably would've worked fine with no quality difference

Yes, I doubt you would notice a difference it being SD

| Thu 30 Nov 2023 11:20:36 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.