My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Copying failing disk

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alanm1969

Hi,

Just thinking aloud! I used to connect up my 9200T to my PC to upload recordings way back when.

As a workaround to failing drive issue (losing recordings by running format), i suggest the following:

I'm aware that the recordings on the HDR1000S are encrypted but was wondering whether it would be possible to pull the drive out, do something like a unix dd on it to create an exact replica disk image on another drive, and then perform the format on the original. When you come to want to watch one of your recordings on the image of the failing disk, just swap them out.

May end up with significant numbers of swap ins/swap outs which may not be ideal for the pins, but is it a means of continuing recording and watching your unseen programmes?

Alan..

| Thu 17 Apr 2014 14:21:22 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sorry, you cannot read the encrypted partitions in any way I know of on a PC. Repassac and I have replaced the original drive with a 1TB one and not found anyway of transferring the recordings on the original disk to the new one.

This operation is pretty simple on a Foxsat-hdr, though the HD recordings are also encrypted you can easily copy the files to a new HDD.

| Thu 17 Apr 2014 14:53:22 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I rather suspect that the recordings themselves might not be encrypted. Why bother when you have encryption on the partition filing system that is fully protected for you.

When you upload material however, it is stored on a standard partition.

Sometime I must peek at the HD-1000S NTFS disk to see what I can - I expect that the recordings are encrypted there.

| Thu 17 Apr 2014 18:02:05 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.