My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Copying from HDD to USB fails

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

foxglove

I am trying to copy a 90 min recording from the internal HDD of my FVP 5000T to a USB key, formatted with FAT32, with 6 Gb of space.
    The copy seems to work OK (though it takes an age) ... but it won't copy the whole file. First time it stopped after doing 40 Mb of data; the next time it managed to do about half the movie, 1.2 Gb, and then stopped.
    Any suggestions?

| Wed 20 Jan 2021 19:36:33 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

iron

I have not found a solution to this problem which I have observed only occurs with some standard definition (SD) TV files. It may be something to do with recording glitches caused by a less than perfect signal as it does not seem to be related to any particular channel, but I have no specific evidence for this hypothesis.

Firstly let me give a bit of background which you may know already but is required to explain some terms I may use later on.

All recordings are encrypted before being stored on the PVR's internal disk and have to be decrypted for playback. The encryption prevents HD recordings being copied from the PVR in a playable form. HD recordings may be copied for backup or to clear space on the internal disk but may only be played back on the the PVR used to record them. That is an HD recording made on your FVP5000 cannot be played on any other FVP5000.

HD TV files, e.g. a recording from BBC1 HD on channel 101 will copy at a rate of about 15GB/hour and create an exact duplicate of the encrypted data stored on the FVP5000's hard disk.

SD TV e.g. BBC1 on channel 1 will copy at a very variable rate of no more than about 3GB/hour and will create a decrypted file which is playable on a PC with the right software.

The decryption incorporated into the SD copy will explain why it is slower than the HD copy but not the great variance in rate or why some files fail to copy. For that I would have to speculate that Humax have written some unreliable computer code for the copying process. After all the PVR can play the files which will not copy and for both playback and copy the first step is decryption. After decryption, copying to an external disk should be trouble free. However . . . I've not a clue how they messed that up!

There is something that you may wish to try to get the fastest possible copy of SD files which may also have some impact on success or failure - but don't get your hopes up.
    1) Start playback of any recording other than the one you want to copy and pause it.
    2) Copy the file.

The playback/pause thing reduces the load on the PVR's processor and disk allowing more resources to be devoted to the copy operation.
    A) Playback stops the creation of the timeshift buffer for the current channel which means that the processor is not having to encrypt the incoming transmission or write to the disk
    B) Pause stops reading from the disk and decryption of the file being played back

The effect is quite small, 18 minutes vs. 22 minutes to copy a file of about 1GB. You can take another minute off if the aerial is disconnected too.

I noticed that you are using a FAT32 formatted USB stick which allows a maximum file size of only 4GB. That will have no bearing on the copy problem but if you ever want to transfer any large files such as HD films it is a good idea to reformat to NTFS which has a much much higher limit.

Sorry to be unable to offer anything really helpful. The only solution I've found for a file which won't copy is to wait for a repeat broadcast and hope!

| Thu 21 Jan 2021 1:54:52 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

foxglove - 18 hours ago  » 
    The copy seems to work OK (though it takes an age) ... but it won't copy the whole file. First time it stopped after doing 40 Mb of data; the next time it managed to do about half the movie, 1.2 Gb, and then stopped.
    Any suggestions?

Do you have a Windows PC? If so what version of Windows is it running?

| Thu 21 Jan 2021 13:47:41 #3 |
  4. jpv1960

jpv1960

foxglove - 1 day ago  » 
    I am trying to copy a 90 min recording from the internal HDD of my FVP 5000T to a USB key, formatted with FAT32, with 6 Gb of space.
    Any suggestions?

Have you tried a different USB stick, format it via Humax.

| Thu 21 Jan 2021 20:34:21 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

foxglove

Thanks for responses to my original question. I decided to use FTP to transfer files from the FVP to my linux computer instead. This was relatively speedy, but of course I now have an encrypted version of the movie to deal with. Any suggestions?

| Sat 30 Jan 2021 18:57:22 #5 |
  6. jpv1960

jpv1960

Refer to the link below. Try what Martin Liddle has suggested - DMS Server.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/file-copy-on-fvp-5000t-usb

| Sat 30 Jan 2021 20:48:39 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.