My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

File Copy on FVP-5000T (USB)

(19 posts)
  1. jpv1960

jpv1960

I have a fvp-5000t with 500GB disk space which is almost full now.

I have been copying/moving programmes onto an external SSD attached via USB. The copy seems to take a very long time. A two hour programme took just over two hours. Tried copying onto a fast USB3 stick and it is still just as slow.
    This is when the humax box was completely free from other activities, not recording or viewing anything.

It appears that the humax box is playing the programme whilst decoding to copy.

It is a shame that when the files (programmes) are transferred using "drive map" (Windows 10) or ftp (binary mode), they seem to be encrypted.

I have emailed Humax Support but no response.

Any thoughts appreciated.

| Wed 27 Jan 2021 11:00:19 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jpv1960 - 7 mins ago  » 

Have you tried using the DMS server which is far and away the quickest way to transfer programmes from an FVP to a Windows 10 PC?

| Wed 27 Jan 2021 11:09:45 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jpv1960 - 3 mins ago  » 
    I have a fvp-5000t with 500GB disk space which is almost full now.
    I have been copying/moving programmes onto an external SSD attached via USB. The copy seems to take a very long time. A two hour programme took just over two hours. Tried copying onto a fast USB3 stick and it is still just as slow.
    This is when the humax box was completely free from other activities, not recording or viewing anything.
    It is a shame that when the files (programmes) are transferred using "drive map" (Windows 10) or ftp (binary mode), they seem to be encrypted.
    I have emailed Humax Support but no response.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

All the recordings are encrypted. If SD recordings are transferred to Windows 10 they should be decrypted using Samba. It's the decryption process that is slow. The file transfer is a low priority task for the cpu. Priority is given to maintaining the pvr functions, with the transfer having to steal clock cycles from the cpu.

The write speed of the usb device is irrelevant. Even the slowest usb stick will be more than adequate.

Files copied in this way are purely archived they can only be played back on the box that recorded it

see the faqs

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/file-transfer

https://myhumax.org/forum/forum/fvp-4000t

| Wed 27 Jan 2021 11:11:50 #3 |
  4. jpv1960

jpv1960

Martin Liddle - 9 mins ago  » 

Have you tried using the DMS server which is far and away the quickest way to transfer programmes from an FVP to a Windows 10 PC?

Apologies for my ignorance, any information links to DMS server, I have no idea that is. I enabled samba and ftp on humax and was able to do a network drive map from my Mac and PC.

| Wed 27 Jan 2021 11:25:57 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jpv1960 - 44 mins ago  » 
    Apologies for my ignorance, any information links to DMS server, I have no idea that is. I enabled samba and ftp on humax and was able to do a network drive map from my Mac and PC.

On a Windows 10 computer, start Windows Explorer, select This PC, scroll down to Network (NB don't click on Network) and you should see HUMAX FVP DMS xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx which is the DMS server, right click on it and select Open.

| Wed 27 Jan 2021 12:15:21 #5 |
  6. jpv1960

jpv1960

Martin and Graham,

Many thanks for all your help. All sorted now.

I had to enable SMB1 on Windows 10 which fixed the mapping issue. Now using the DMS Server.

Your vast knowledge saved my day once again.

Much Appreciated,

Jay

| Wed 27 Jan 2021 19:59:03 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 10 hours ago  » 
    If SD recordings are transferred to Windows 10 they should be decrypted using Samba.

I have seen absolutely no evidence that transferring recordings via Samba decrypts recordings. If you think it does then please describe the method. The best way to get unencrypted SD recordings is, as I said above, to use the DMS server which is just a way of connecting to the DLNA server on the box; this gives decryption much quicker than any other method.

| Wed 27 Jan 2021 21:51:03 #7 |
  8. jpv1960

jpv1960

I have 'turned off samba' on fvp-5000t, the file transfer using 'DMS Server' method is running fine. Just started overnight transfer.

| Wed 27 Jan 2021 23:43:04 #8 |
  9. jpv1960

jpv1960

jpv1960 - 8 hours ago  » 
    I have 'turned off samba' on fvp-5000t, the file transfer using 'DMS Server' method is running fine. Just started overnight transfer.

Please ignore the above this. I had the file transfer running when I turned off samba and the file transfer carried on working.

But after further checks this morning, I see that by turning Samba 'off', the drive mapping from fvp-5000t was gone on iMac. So I had to turn it back on.

Apologies for the unnecessary confusion.

| Thu 28 Jan 2021 8:28:28 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jpv1960 - 2 hours ago  » 
    But after further checks this morning, I see that by turning Samba 'off', the drive mapping from fvp-5000t was gone on iMac.

Forgive my ignorance, but could you explain what you mean by drive mapping and what you use it for?

| Thu 28 Jan 2021 11:20:31 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.