My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

File Copy on FVP-5000T (USB)

(19 posts)
  1. jpv1960

jpv1960

Martin Liddle - 51 mins ago
    Forgive my ignorance, but could you explain what you mean by drive mapping and what you use it for?

On iMac, like on windows, in the file manager (finder), network drives become visible. When connecting to fvp-5000t, iMac asks who you want to connect as, and I just used 'guest' account with no password.

Unfortunately, unlike Windows, the files are still .TS and encrypted. Trying to find if "DMS Server" concept exists on iMac, in the meantime, I use Windows Laptop or Windows on iMac via virtualbox.

See attached picture. - picture upload denied, see if I can reduce it in size and upload.

Attachments

1. Screenshot_2021-01-28_at_12.40.18.jpg (95.2 KB, 8 downloads) 3 years old
    | Thu 28 Jan 2021 13:35:07 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jpv1960 - 1 hour ago  » 
    On iMac, like on windows, in the file manager (finder), network drives become visible. When connecting to fvp-5000t, iMac asks who you want to connect as, and I just used 'guest' account with no password.

OK that does sound like SAMBA. Interesting that it works on an iMac; Humax must be using a more up to date version of SAMBA than is used in the Custom firmware for the HDR-FOX T2 and FOXSAT-HDR where the obsolescent version 1.0 SMB protocol is used because the later versions are more resource intensive.

Unfortunately, unlike Windows, the files are still .TS and encrypted.

If you transfer via SAMBA to Windows the files will be encrypted.

Trying to find if "DMS Server" concept exists on iMac.

What you are looking for is a DLNA client that will allow saving of the output. It might be possible with VLC although last time I tried I couldn't find the right options.

| Thu 28 Jan 2021 15:37:59 #12 |
  3. jpv1960

jpv1960

As far as I can work out, fvp-5000t still uses SMBv1 protocol. I had to execute 'optionalfeatures' in Windows 10 and enable SMBv1 for me to use DMS Server.

Thanks for your tip about VLC, I can see and play all the recorded files on fvp-5000t when running VLC on iMac (OS - Catalina) and works really fast. I now just need to find a way of saving it! (Although not a big issue as I can just transfer using my Windows Laptop)

| Fri 29 Jan 2021 21:23:41 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jpv1960 - 6 days ago  » 
    Thanks for your tip about VLC, I can see and play all the recorded files on fvp-5000t when running VLC on iMac (OS - Catalina) and works really fast. I now just need to find a way of saving it! (Although not a big issue as I can just transfer using my Windows Laptop)

I did try playing about with saving recordings from VLC. I thought it had failed but to my surprise when looking in the Documents directory on my PC, I found it had saved a recording, so it is possible. Only problem is that there was no sound when played, I guess it is using the wrong sound track. If you are interested in getting this working on the Mac I suggest you find a VLC forum and ask the question there. I think it would be interesting for a number of people with a number of different models of Humax but at the moment I don't have time to pursue it.

| Fri 5 Feb 2021 19:26:57 #14 |
  5. jpv1960

jpv1960

Martin Liddle - 2 mins ago  » 
    I suggest you find a VLC forum and ask the question there. I think it would be interesting for a number of people with a number of different models of Humax but at the moment I don't have time to pursue it.

Found out few days back by checking all the options. It is quite easy to download a programme from fvp-5000 using VLC on Mac Computer. Once you have opened the 'library', main VLC menu on Mac, select 'local network' --> 'Universal Plug and Play'. Select 'FVP-5000T DMS (IP addr)' -->Recordings. Now from the Menu Bar at the very top, select FILE --> Convert / Stream.

Select a programme file you wish to download from under the 'Recordings' folder and 'drop' it into the 'Convert / Stream' box. It is important to use the 'drag and drop' method, as the 'open media' option will not displsy files on fvp-5000t. You can use the 'open media' option if you just want to convert the format of an existing video file under your Mac folders, e.g. TS to mp4, or just Sound output file.

The next setting is under 'Choose Profile'. Click on 'Customise..' and select the output. I have been using MPEG-TS. Under the tab 'Video Codec', select 'keep original video track' and do same under 'Sound Codec'. Click on 'Save as new profile' and give your profile a name, for future use. Now under 'Choose Destination' select 'save as file' Decide on location and filename.

Lastly, click on 'Save'. Download takes a few minutes, depending on the network speed and the speed of the Mac as it is doing a 'conversion' on the fly.

Interesting to note that one can set the output profile to be just sound, eg, mp3, flac, Wav. Useful if it is a music programme and you just want the sound or for anyone with visual impairment etc..

| Fri 5 Feb 2021 20:21:13 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jpv1960 - 3 hours ago  » 

Martin Liddle - 2 mins ago  » 
    I suggest you find a VLC forum and ask the question there. I think it would be interesting for a number of people with a number of different models of Humax but at the moment I don't have time to pursue it.

Found out few days back by checking all the options. It is quite easy to download a programme from fvp-5000 using VLC on Mac Computer. Once you have opened the 'library', main VLC menu on Mac, select 'local network' --> 'Universal Plug and Play'. Select 'FVP-5000T DMS (IP addr)' -->Recordings. Now from the Menu Bar at the very top, select FILE --> Convert / Stream.
    Select a programme file you wish to download from under the 'Recordings' folder and 'drop' it into the 'Convert / Stream' box. It is important to use the 'drag and drop' method, as the 'open media' option will not displsy files on fvp-5000t. You can use the 'open media' option if you just want to convert the format of an existing video file under your Mac folders, e.g. TS to mp4, or just Sound output file.
    The next setting is under 'Choose Profile'. Click on 'Customise..' and select the output. I have been using MPEG-TS. Under the tab 'Video Codec', select 'keep original video track' and do same under 'Sound Codec'. Click on 'Save as new profile' and give your profile a name, for future use. Now under 'Choose Destination' select 'save as file' Decide on location and filename.
    Lastly, click on 'Save'. Download takes a few minutes, depending on the network speed and the speed of the Mac as it is doing a 'conversion' on the fly.
    Interesting to note that one can set the output profile to be just sound, eg, mp3, flac, Wav. Useful if it is a music programme and you just want the sound or for anyone with visual impairment etc..

Barry could this be turned into a FAQ please?

| Fri 5 Feb 2021 23:54:38 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Edit: I think I have done it. I was looking in the wrong place.
    Edit2: Yes, I have transferred a couple of files and successfully tried casting back to the FVP.

Martin:

I am trying to arrange to copy certain 5000T SD recordings to my laptop's HDD, but I am not managing.

I look in Win 10 File Manager and there is no FVP entry under Network, though if I do click on Network, I can see FVP 5000T DMS listed under Media Devices and it allows me to play using the Media Player, but there is nothing for transferring to HDD.

I guess there is a setting somewhere which needs to be changed but, with my limited knowledge, I cannot find it.

On the FVP I have Network Server set to ON and Samba set to ON, so I guess it is a setting on Win 10 which is the problem.

Any ideas please?

| Tue 16 Mar 2021 11:50:53 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

A1944 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Edit: I think I have done it. I was looking in the wrong place.
    Edit2: Yes, I have transferred a couple of files and successfully tried casting back to the FVP.

Perhaps you could say what was unclear in my instructions?

| Tue 16 Mar 2021 13:50:35 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Hi Martin. I was looking at the "Network" entry on the left hand side panel and there was nothing there. Then I spotted it under "Network Locations" on the right hand side.

Having said that, I have since lost the entry in "Network Locations" by accident as I tried to close the transfer after copying some files. By mistake I selected to remove it, instead of close it (which I couldn't see) and I don't know how to get it back.

Silly Me!!

OK, got it back using "Access Media".

| Tue 16 Mar 2021 14:10:47 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.