My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Custom Firmware update-DNLA-LG telly-it works!

(12 posts)
  1. gomezz

gomezz

special member

My 2010 Samsung only updates using a USB memory stick. And as the apps it provides online are pants I don't bother having it connected anyway.

| Mon 18 Feb 2013 10:40:01 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

martingoose - 15 hours ago  » 
    XBMC on a Raspberry Pi powered from a USB on the television should work well!

Yep, I'd class a correctly configured Rpi as a mini HTPC. Been tempted to get one but I don't think they're powerful enough to do what I need. Very good for so little money though.

martingoose - 15 hours ago  » 
    Don't Samsung TVs do that automatically? The one I installed recently went straight back to the mother ship and downloaded a firmware update.

Depends on the model. Mine is a cheap one (LE32C530) - it has a great quality LCD panel for a budget model and 3 HDMIs etc, but it can't do OTA updates. USB stick only. I did update the firmware which allegedly fixed a sync issue on HD content via the in-built USB media player but it still goes out of sync a bit. I very much doubt there will be any more updates for that TV.

Even on TVs which have an OTA feature, I'd recommend turning it off. All it takes is a poorly tested update to completely ruin things - I know this thanks to all the times my Windows 7 PCs have automatically updated to the latest version which soon reveals a huge problem or bug the older versions didn't have. Hey, even iOS has that problem now, so much for Apple's design genius and not succombing to the fragmentation issue of Android. I like to wait a few weeks before updating, let the dust settle, make sure I have 3 complete backups from different time periods etc. Saves headaches.

| Tue 19 Feb 2013 0:49:26 #12 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.