My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Custom Ip address

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

barrykap

Anyone know how to switch from DHCP to a fixed IP setting? I wish to use my own preferred IP address to keep in line with all other stuff I have on my LAN. Everything else I have allows this but the 1000S network menu seems to be stuck on 'automatic'.

Further to this, is there a 'secret' menu accessible similar to the Foxsat HDR?

Thanks

Barry

| Fri 23 Nov 2012 16:03:44 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The best way to do this is to make an address reservation on the routers DHCP service.

1, It ensures you do it correctly.
    2. It will use the DNS servers obtained from your ISP (which can change).

The HDR-1000S will let you setup a static address if DHCP fails to get an ip address. see the faq's

| Fri 23 Nov 2012 16:17:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

barrykap

Thanks Repassac, didn't know of the FAQs.

Seems rather an ominous way to do it though, and I am reluctant to mess with my router as I have lots of devices connected to it. Afraid of b*ggering up the lot.

Seems this box is very limited in customisation options.

Bit disappointed with it so far. Expected it to be more 'advanced' than the Foxsat HDR but it seems it is just trying to emulate the Skybox in it's user-approach.

| Fri 23 Nov 2012 16:46:48 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I think the approach is to reduce useless support calls for:

1. Wrongly set fixed ip settings. I have just got a new router and my PVR does not work because the new router is on a different subnet. Plus of course ISP's changing the name server ip. e.g. using a different one for new fiber connections.
    2. The single function remote to avoid all the people who press another button and think the remote has packed up.

Just remove the network lead and it will let you set it.

| Fri 23 Nov 2012 17:07:10 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

barrykap

Never thought of that!

Cheers.

Barry.

| Fri 23 Nov 2012 17:32:17 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Melkot

Hi
    First Post here. Hope you can help. I unplugged my network cable on my HDR1000S as suggested by REPASSAC but am still unable to manually set up my connection. Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Brendan

| Fri 11 Jan 2013 20:14:46 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Either wait or turn off your DHCP server and it will be offered. Why do you want to? - It is a far better idea to make an address reservation in the advanced settings of your router.

| Fri 11 Jan 2013 21:36:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Melkot

Thanks Repassac Ive been told that my Cisco Router supplied by my provider UPC in Dublin will not accept changes though I have not tried it myself. The reason I want to change is so I can receive BBC Iplayer via a proxy. Ill try what you say and let you know. again thanks for taking the time to answer. Much appreciated.

Brendan

| Fri 11 Jan 2013 22:16:40 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Melkot - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Repassac Ive been told that my Cisco Router supplied by my provider UPC in Dublin will not accept changes though I have not tried it myself. The reason I want to change is so I can receive BBC Iplayer via a proxy. Ill try what you say and let you know. again thanks for taking the time to answer. Much appreciated.
    Brendan

There is no way you can set it up to use a proxy. A VPN is possible (but tricky and requires extra kit.

| Fri 11 Jan 2013 22:22:36 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Melkot

I may be using the wrong term in Proxy. I am not a tech guy, I am using Unblock-US.com and it works on all my other devices Ipad Laptop and even an earlier Foxsat. As you no doubt know ITV and 4OD are not "Geo Specific" but I can use the Iplayer, which is, on all my other devices.

Brendan

| Fri 11 Jan 2013 22:45:11 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.