My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Dead HDD.

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mogs84

Hi all,
    The hard drive failed on my hdr1000s the other night, it just froze at the same time a program was due to record and had to be switched off at the mains.

I've read a few different topics on here regarding this and am pretty certain it's the drI've itself.
    I'm basing this on the fact that the inside of the disk surface (nearest the spindle) seems to have been scratched by the read/write heads.

I'll be trying a spare drive just to be certain.

Main reason for posting is to establish a suitable replacement drive for it.

Don't need anything more than the original 1tb tbh, just wondering what's out there that's cheap enough and entirely compatible.

Cheers.

| Wed 12 Apr 2017 22:42:02 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Welcome to our forum. I recently fitted one of these in my HDR1000S.

Very simple job, didn't even need to re-enter recording schedule

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008B0RQ1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&psc=1

PS Post in wrong thread hopefully a kindly moderator will move it Admin edit: thanks, moved.

| Thu 13 Apr 2017 9:29:06 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mogs84

Thanks for the reply, yes I've just spotted it's in the HB section by mistake.

I know it's simple to do just after a list of compatible drives if poss.

| Thu 13 Apr 2017 12:27:50 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mogs84 - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply, yes I've just spotted it's in the HB section by mistake.
    I know it's simple to do just after a list of compatible drives if poss.

Basically you need a AV specced drive. Low Speed Low Power designed for 24/7 running. There may be a 1TB version of the Seagate Pipeline I linked to.

| Thu 13 Apr 2017 12:33:23 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mogs84

Good news is....... It's the HDD, replaced it with a bog standard 160gig drive to try it and it's fine.
    So will order a new 1tb unit.

| Sun 16 Apr 2017 21:05:37 #5 |
  6. hairbear

hairbear

Mogs84 ... That's very brave of you to open up the HDD. Once opened, it's toast regardless of whether it was faulty to start with (except in a stringent clean room environment). I've opened several myself. The platters are amazing mirrors, and the magnets are fierce. Once took out the magnet and caught my finger between it and a metal surface. It took a chunk of flesh from my finger

hairbear

| Thu 27 Apr 2017 17:14:58 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

hairbear - 51 minutes ago  » 
    Mogs84 ... That's very brave of you to open up the HDD. Once opened, it's toast regardless of whether it was faulty to start with (except in a stringent clean room environment). I've opened several myself. The platters are amazing mirrors, and the magnets are fierce. Once took out the magnet and caught my finger between it and a metal surface. It took a chunk of flesh from my finger
    hairbear

I rather think he just took the hard disk out of it's carrier, not dismantled it. It's very simple to replace as the box sets up a new hard disk completely automatically.

| Thu 27 Apr 2017 18:07:47 #7 |
  8. hairbear

hairbear

Hi Graham. I based my opinion on what Mogs84 said :-

I'm basing this on the fact that the inside of the disk surface (nearest the spindle) seems to have been scratched by the read/write heads.

Don't think you can tell that the disk surface is scratched without taking it apart ... unless he has one of those bizarre WD drives with the transparent cases. I had one once.

If anyone has a knackered HDD though, I recommend taking it apart. Do be careful with the magnets though, they are VERY strong.

hairbear.

| Sat 29 Apr 2017 16:14:03 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.