My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Definition not impressed

(14 posts)
  1. foxleybob

foxleybob

special member

Is it just me & my wife?
    When watching Netflix on the Humax box, to us it doesn't look as vibrant as when we watch it straight from our LG TV?
    Hope this is a stupid question, and someone will put me right?

| Tue 10 Nov 2020 17:52:40 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Which box. Is the TV network connection faster than the Humax. Many streaming sources adjust quality according the download speed available.

| Tue 10 Nov 2020 18:06:36 #2 |
  3. foxleybob

foxleybob

special member

Thanks for your reply.
    I have the Humax 1100S.
    To be honest I don't know if the TV streams faster or not.
    How do I find out the difference, please?

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 12:55:02 #3 |
  4. foxleybob

foxleybob

special member

Just thinking....
    Will having recorded items on the Humax make a difference?

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 12:56:24 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

foxleybob - 30 secs ago  » 
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have the Humax 1100S.

Firstly how are both units connected to your router. WiFi or direct connection.

WiFi reception speeds can widely vary depending on location of kit. Download a wifi test app to a mobile phone to see transfer speeds.

Direct connections will be at the full limit of the cabling or pair of homeplug adaptors. Cat 5 100Mbps. My isp download is 100mbps so cat5 is fast enough.

Wired connections are the best. I use a single pair of 300Mbps home plugs.

If your router is remote from the TV and Humax box. You can share the wired connection using a cheap network switch.

You have not said which Humax box you are using so no way to tell if you can cast netflix to a other device,

All my kit is hardwired. To view netflix I normally use my mobile phone app.

And then cast the stream to either a 4K chromecast plugged into my AVR or it can be cast to new built in chromecast in the new Aura box.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 13:05:50 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 

foxleybob - 30 secs ago  » 
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have the Humax 1100S.

You have not said which Humax box you are using so no way to tell if you can cast netflix to a other device,

It's the HDR-1100S.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 17:05:22 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Netflix should be already on your HDR-1100S on demand options. It's on my HDR-1000S essentially the same box.

Netflix has always been available on G2 boxes. It's Amazon prime that is missing.

Other than 4K content played from the app on my 4K 55" LG Oled. Full HD content looks much the same.

Unless your TV is a 4K one which would obviously look sharper if you are streaming 4K content

You did not post if you are using WiFi or direct cabling.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 17:24:23 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

foxleybob - 5 hours ago  » 
    Just thinking....

No recordings are a bit for bit copy of the original broadcast. Replay should be identical to the original live broadcast.

Basically when watching live on say a HD channel the bitstream goes directly to the boxes built in H264 decoder. When recording it simply gets saved to the hard disk.

When you replay the recording it is identical to the original broadcast stream, just not at the same time.

As you can't record Netflix it's the same as watching live TV. If your connection is slow the content quality is reduced at source.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 18:40:54 #8 |
  9. foxleybob

foxleybob

special member

grahamlthompson - 23 hours ago  » 
    Netflix should be already on your HDR-1100S on demand options. It's on my HDR-1000S essentially the same box.
    Netflix has always been available on G2 boxes. It's Amazon prime that is missing.
    Other than 4K content played from the app on my 4K 55" LG Oled. Full HD content looks much the same.
    Unless your TV is a 4K one which would obviously look sharper if you are streaming 4K content
    You did not post if you are using WiFi or direct cabling.

Yes, I do have a 4K LG Oled 55", but I don't use 4K as not subscribed to Netflix 4K, just the standard one.
    I can get Prime on the TV and that does seem to be better quality.

Not to worry, it's no biggy. was just curious, and probably just my eyes lol
    But thanks for your input all the same.

| Thu 12 Nov 2020 17:05:12 #9 |
  10. foxleybob

foxleybob

special member

grahamlthompson - 22 hours ago  » 

foxleybob - 5 hours ago  » 
    Just thinking....

No recordings are a bit for bit copy of the original broadcast. Replay should be
    identical to the original live broadcast.
    Basically when watching live on say a HD channel the bitstream goes directly to the boxes built in H264 decoder. When recording it simply gets saved to the hard disk.
    When you replay the recording it is identical to the original broadcast stream, just not at the same time.
    As you can't record Netflix it's the same as watching live TV. If your connection is slow the content quality is reduced at source.

Thank you again.

| Thu 12 Nov 2020 17:07:13 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.