My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Demand5 becomes My5

(44 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

UK commercial pubcaster Channel 5 has rebranded Demand 5, its video on demand service, to My5.

At the same time, Channel 5 is expanding the range of content available to viewers on demand, with a range of My5 exclusives and box sets in addition to the ability to catch up with programmes from across the Channel 5 family – Channel 5, 5STAR, 5USA and Spike.

The refresh and new content is part of a longer-term strategy to grow on-demand viewing of Channel 5’s content across multiple screens and platforms, building on Demand 5’s strong growth across 2015.

The new service, which launches in tandem with a full brand identity refresh across the Channel 5 portfolio, will be rolled out from immediately across all iOS and Android phones and tablets, and on a new website at my5.tv. My5 will replace Demand 5 across Smart TVs, set-top boxes, games consoles and other platforms in the coming months. Alongside My5, a brand new channel5.com focuses on providing programme information and promotion.

My5 offers new personalisation features, including the ability to favourite shows, keep track of what you’ve already watched, and pause viewing on one device, resuming on another.

My5 will continue to house all of Channel 5’s most popular catch–up content – from Celebrity Big Brother, The Yorkshire Vet and Gotham, to Lip Sync Battle UK, GPs: Behind Closed Doors and The X-Files. The content line-up will be further bolstered by My5 exclusives, including Heroes Reborn: Dark Matters, a prequel to the new series coming to 5STAR on Tuesday 16th February.

http://advanced-television.com/2016/02/12/my5-vod-from-channel-5/

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 12:43:11 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I would have thought a better re-brand would be 'TRASH-TV' Oh well, call me picky then.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 12:47:43 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

..Latest owners, the US giant Viacom, have pledged a “huge leap forward”, with a programming cash injection, a greater commitment to news and documentaries and sharper on-screen branding for the network, which has three digital channels boosting its audience share.

New homegrown commissions can now be cross-fertilised between Viacom’s channels, which include MTV, Nickelodeon and Comedy Central.

But the arrival of Fox’s The X Files reboot, giving Five its highest ratings for more than a year, suggests that imports will still play a major role. Don’t expect Five to mount its version of War & Peace just yet.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/channel-5s-emotional-rebrand-shows-the-plucky-upstart-is-now-a-family-fixture-a6863611.html

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 12:59:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

I don't know if any one as noticed, but the content on my5 / Demand 5 is slightly different on the 4000T freeview play to what you get on the computer and youview box's. On freeview play example you can not get Castle or X files catch up on My5 / Demand 5, but you can on youview or your PC.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 13:01:24 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Rights issues.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 13:07:34 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

bill63 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I don't know if any one as noticed, but the content on my5 / Demand 5 is slightly different on the 4000T freeview play to what you get on the computer and youview box's. On freeview play example you can not get Castle or X files catch up on My5 / Demand 5, but you can on youview or your PC.

ITV player on Freesat doesn't offer half the content that's available on a PC/Tablet.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 14:32:50 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

For obvious reasons.

From the point of view of a content provider, timeshifted viewing via streaming is much better than timeshifted viewing via recording. A PVR facilitates one-click recording. A PC or tablet does not.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 14:53:50 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 
    For obvious reasons.
    From the point of view of a content provider, timeshifted viewing via streaming is much better than timeshifted viewing via recording. A PVR facilitates one-click recording. A PC or tablet does not.

You reply has me confused as I'm not aware I can record from the ITV Hub anymore than I can on my PC, both are streamed. However, there's far more content to stream via phone PC or Tablet than there is accessing the Hub from the Humax.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 17:42:23 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Faust - 9 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 
    For obvious reasons.

You reply has me confused as I'm not aware I can record from the ITV Hub anymore than I can on my PC, both are streamed.

A PVR faciliates timeshifted viewing by enabling the recording of OTA broadcasts. Recordings of OTA broadcasts allow the user to skip ads and, potentially, make permanent recordings.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 17:58:34 #9 |
  10. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Am I doing something wrong? I cannot find anyway to play anything with the My5 app on my Android tablet?

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 20:50:14 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.