My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Demand5 becomes My5

(44 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

gomezz - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Am I doing something wrong? I cannot find anyway to play anything with the My5 app on my Android tablet?

I installed the iOS app to check it out. Can't be used without registering so I dumped it.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 21:07:54 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 5 hours ago  » 

Faust - 9 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 
    For obvious reasons.
    From the point of view of a content provider, timeshifted viewing via streaming is much better than timeshifted viewing via recording. A PVR facilitates one-click recording. A PC or tablet does not.

You reply has me confused as I'm not aware I can record from the ITV Hub anymore than I can on my PC, both are streamed.

A PVR faciliates timeshifted viewing by enabling the recording of OTA broadcasts. Recordings of OTA broadcasts allow the user to skip ads and, potentially, make permanent recordings.

I think we are talking at cross purposes here - of course I know what a PVR is capable of. However, I am talking about the ITV streaming Hub i.e. catchup. The ITV on-demand Hub on the Humax has very limited choice when compared to a PC Tablet or Phone - again all streaming. You can't time-shift or record material using the Freetime ITV Hub anymore than you can with the other products I mention.

I am therefore still confused as to why you keep referring to the PVR capabilities.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 23:56:26 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Yes you are confused.

I said:

From the point of view of a content provider, timeshifted viewing via streaming is much better than timeshifted viewing via recording. A PVR facilitates one-click recording. A PC or tablet does not.

Plain English.

But, by the way, not in the least important. Just a subjective comment.

| Sat 13 Feb 2016 0:12:27 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

JamesB - 3 hours ago  » 

Am I doing something wrong? I cannot find anyway to play anything with the My5 app on my Android tablet?

I installed the iOS app to check it out. Can't be used without registering so I dumped it.

Apparently My5 is meant to let you watch within seven days after broadcast without registering, but a bug is causing it to insist on registration for everything. "On some devices"

| Sat 13 Feb 2016 0:17:49 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 11 hours ago  » 
    Yes you are confused.
    I said:

Plain English.
    But, by the way, not in the least important. Just a subjective comment.

That's fine though we still haven't addressed the issue as to why the choice on the freetime ITV Hub app is only a 'lite' version if you compare it to mobile devices or a PC?

I often have to source content on my Mac then Airplay it to ATV then TV as the episode is either no longer available via Humax ITV hub or as never been available. I find it all very odd.

| Sat 13 Feb 2016 11:58:30 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 11 hours ago  » 

JamesB - 3 hours ago  » 

Apparently My5 is meant to let you watch within seven days after broadcast without registering, but a bug is causing it to insist on registration for everything. "On some devices"

Just tried to watch via phone Tablet and Computer, all different devices and makes and it's insisting I register.

One must be gracious and assume it's a 'bug'.

| Sat 13 Feb 2016 12:04:39 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

...the issue as to why the choice on the freetime ITV Hub app is only a 'lite' version if you compare it to mobile devices or a PC?

You just need to adjust your expectations. You seem to be expecting that anything that's available on one platform or device, should be available on every other platform or device. But in the real world, what's available depends primarily on what rights have been negotiated. And secondarily, any other limitations the content provider chooses to specify - viz., My5’s 7-days-post-broadcast restriction of viewing by unregistered users.

| Sat 13 Feb 2016 12:06:46 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

One must be gracious and assume it's a 'bug'.

Indeed.

| Sat 13 Feb 2016 12:11:45 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 9 minutes ago  » 

...the issue as to why the choice on the freetime ITV Hub app is only a 'lite' version if you compare it to mobile devices or a PC?

You just need to adjust your expectations. You seem to be expecting that anything that's available on one platform or device, should be available on every other platform or device. But in the real world, what's available depends primarily on what rights have been negotiated. And secondarily, any other limitations the content provider chooses to specify - viz., My5’s 7-days-post-broadcast restriction of viewing by unregistered users.

Well as a regular user of iPlayer that is what I am used to i.e. content across all devices and platforms. The other thing you can't do is 'cast' from a Tablet or Phone to the TV, again another annoying limitation. I can with YouTube iPlayer Netflix etc. etc.

Fortunately Apple has provided me with the tools to get the programmes I need onto the TV.

| Sat 13 Feb 2016 12:20:46 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Faust - 2 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 9 minutes ago  » 

Well as a regular user of iPlayer that is what I am used to i.e. content across all devices and platforms..

BBC content is not subject to commercial rights negotiations, within the UK

| Sat 13 Feb 2016 12:29:37 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.