My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Demand5 becomes My5

(44 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Well it matters not as I have uncovered the methods which do work. After all if I can access an episode 2 but episode 1 is no longer available (though it still is on other devices) then you are going to search for ways to watch the episode in comfort rather than squinting at a small screen aren't you.

| Sat 13 Feb 2016 12:44:12 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Personally I just record the broadcast, when it's a commercial channel. If missed, that's not exactly a disaster since it won't be long till it comes round again.

| Sat 13 Feb 2016 12:50:19 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 
    Personally I just record the broadcast, when it's a commercial channel. If missed, that's not exactly a disaster since it won't be long till it comes round again.

I think it depends what it is. In my case the wife happened to catch episode 2 of Sugar Free Farm then found out episode 1 which was only the week before was not available on the Humax but was on other devices.

Goodness only knows when or even if ITV will show that again, the chances of missing it completely are huge, especially if it ends up on one of the other ITV channels. Wives being wives they expect you to sort these things immediately.

I get 'you spend all this time messing with gadgets and computers but as soon as I want to watch something on TV you say it's not possible' verbal earache - I just think 'thank god for Airplay'.

| Sat 13 Feb 2016 15:32:45 #23 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

JamesB - 23 hours ago  » 

gomezz - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Am I doing something wrong? I cannot find anyway to play anything with the My5 app on my Android tablet?

I installed the iOS app to check it out. Can't be used without registering so I dumped it.

I am registered and logged in and nothing is showing as playable. Going to Help and it seems to list loads of stuff (everything) as being not available due to rights.

| Sat 13 Feb 2016 20:39:07 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Apparently there's more to the Demand5 / My5 makeover than meets the eye.

From last July:

Viacom is exploring the possibility of introducing SVOD on its UK Demand 5 catch-up player, and is poised to add facilities such as side-loading and start-over to its current linear TV offerings, according to James Currell, Chief Operating Officer of Viacom International.

Currell’s remarks came in a presentation to delegates attending the Connected TV Summit in London, where he detailed the content giant’s response to the on-demand, multi-screen boom and its current focus on pursuing the youth market via social media platforms.

“SVOD platforms represent a fraction of TV viewing,” said Currell, “but [they are] only going to grow. In response, Viacom is launching a range of our own SVOD apps available both on an authenticated basis and direct to the consumer. Our ultimate aim is to have authenticated VOD apps for all our brands available in every market.”
    [..]

Meanwhile, in the UK, Viacom – which acquired Channel 5 last year – is exploring adding user registration to the channel’s free catch-up service Demand 5, and “the possibility of making some additional content available on a subscription basis.” The service increased its stream starts year-on-year by more than 50% in 2014, Currell said.

Viacom is also “on the cusp” of adding new functionality to its linear TV services, such as including “side-loading – allowing offline playback of PVR recordings via connected devices – and also start-over facilities,” revealed Currell. “This type of innovation will keep linear pay-TV subscriptions growing despite the rise of OTT providers like Netflix.”
    [..]

http://www.v-net.tv/viacom-moots-svod-on-demand-5-set-to-add-side-loading-and-start-over-to-linear-tv

Plenty of scope for annoying bugs and unscheduled lockouts, at any rate.

| Sun 14 Feb 2016 13:15:49 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Reading the above and similar articles do you ever get the feeling FTA TV is becoming an endangered species?

I get the feeling the consumer is being manipulated into being pushed down a road willingly or otherwise to 'paid for services'. Whether those that refuse to opt in will eventually be marginalised remains to be seen or if governments will step in to protect FTA viewing.

We could end up with a two tie situation where FTA will end up being starved of resources whilst those who are willing to pay end up with the quality.

Worth debate?

| Sun 14 Feb 2016 17:22:58 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

It's largely due to changing technology and changing habits, chasing each other and feeding off each other. Plus the fact that most of the world's money has disappeared into the overflowing pockets of the bankers etc.

Exponential increase in mobile demand led to spectrum selloff after spectrum selloff until it began to look like linear DTT was doomed. ( Not so long ago this seemed a dead cert, but more recently the long-heralded demise seems to have been put on hold.)

At around the same time, IPTV services like iPlayer began to emerge, leading in short order to the view that this could be the salvation for UK FTA channels.

Hence Project Canvas -> Youview. Whence Freetime, Freeview Play, etc.

And over the ocean something stirred...Netflix was born.

Giving a huge me-too boost to OTT services everywhere.

Etc.

| Sun 14 Feb 2016 17:43:36 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Well yes to a point, however, Netflix is a subscriber service itself.

| Sun 14 Feb 2016 17:51:37 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Faust - 47 seconds ago  » 

Exactly. Like just about every other OTT service, except UK catchup.

Constituting new and voracious competition (in the UK) for the audience for FTA channels.

| Sun 14 Feb 2016 17:53:36 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 5 hours ago  » 

Faust - 47 seconds ago  » 

Exactly. Like just about every other OTT service, except UK catchup.
    Constituting new and voracious competition (in the UK) for the audience for FTA channels.

So you conclusion is what James?

| Sun 14 Feb 2016 23:20:23 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.