special member

Conclusion to what?

| Sun 14 Feb 2016 23:24:55 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 10 hours ago  » 
    Conclusion to what?

My original post i.e. will FTA viewers become marginalised by the rise and rise of subscription TV. Is FTA on life support/borrowed time. As the coffers of the subscription providers get ever larger will they attract stars and resources away from FTA in order to make original content for the subscription services.

Will government step in as they have with some sports rights in order to protect them for FTA e.g. the crown jewels argument.

| Mon 15 Feb 2016 9:58:09 #32 |
  3. gomezz

gomezz

special member

gomezz - 1 day ago  » 

JamesB - 23 hours ago  » 

gomezz - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Am I doing something wrong? I cannot find anyway to play anything with the My5 app on my Android tablet?

I installed the iOS app to check it out. Can't be used without registering so I dumped it.

I am registered and logged in and nothing is showing as playable. Going to Help and it seems to list loads of stuff (everything) as being not available due to rights.

Just looked into the app details and it says it needs Android 4.4 to run!

1) Why when other catch up apps (including its predecessor) run fine on 4.2?

2) WTF did it even bother installing without checking?

Got an old Hudl 1 that ain't getting anymore OS updates but as long as it continues to run BBC iPlayer etc and Google Maps (and ITV Player for the 6 Nations rugby) I won't be bothering to replace it. But if I was, I think a Nexus 7 or 9 seems to be the way to go avoid it being obsoleted like this after such a short time.

| Mon 15 Feb 2016 10:55:15 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

... will FTA viewers become marginalised by the rise and rise of subscription TV. Is FTA on life support/borrowed time. As the coffers of the subscription providers get ever larger will they attract stars and resources away from FTA in order to make original content for the subscription services.

It's more complicated than free vs pay. Most people now have a mixture, thanks to OTT, and the pay services all parasite on the content produced by the free services. And the underlying questions about platforms and delivery are up in the air and don't look like being answered any time soon.

Will government step in as they have with some sports rights in order to protect them for FTA e.g. the crown jewels argument.

Not likely, IMO.

| Mon 15 Feb 2016 11:32:14 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

gomezz - 38 minutes ago  » 

gomezz - 1 day ago  » 

JamesB - 23 hours ago  » 

gomezz - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Am I doing something wrong? I cannot find anyway to play anything with the My5 app on my Android tablet?

I installed the iOS app to check it out. Can't be used without registering so I dumped it.

I am registered and logged in and nothing is showing as playable. Going to Help and it seems to list loads of stuff (everything) as being not available due to rights.

Just looked into the app details and it says it needs Android 4.4 to run!
    1) Why when other catch up apps (including its predecessor) run fine on 4.2?
    2) WTF did it even bother installing without checking?
    Got an old Hudl 1 that ain't getting anymore OS updates but as long as it continues to run BBC iPlayer etc and Google Maps (and ITV Player for the 6 Nations rugby) I won't be bothering to replace it. But if I was, I think a Nexus 7 or 9 seems to be the way to go avoid it being obsoleted like this after such a short time.

The Demand5 app on my TV no longer plays any programmes. "Sorry! That doesn't work" on every programme I try to play.

| Mon 15 Feb 2016 11:35:45 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I don't think My5 app has anything to do with version as I am running 5.1.1. on Android and nothing will play without registration. However, even on My5 website most of the content is listed as currently unavailable, a huge long list in fact.

Despite this content does still play using Demand 5 via my Humax 1000s.

So, despite saying you do need not need to register that is currently not the case, but even if you do, a lot of material is currently unavailable. I think I will give registering a miss as I never watch media either on my Tablet of Phone anyway.

| Mon 15 Feb 2016 14:02:27 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I hazard a guess that the devices affected by the mysterious rights problem are the ones that are currently being updated from Demand5 to My5. They've perhaps toggled a "rights" flag while they take their time spraying the bugs.

Freetime boxes are perhaps not on the list for imminent upgrade. Which is good as it may be working by the time we get it.

| Mon 15 Feb 2016 15:00:08 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Just to expand a little on our discussion re: FTA long term viability. Another strand to this argument is age demographic. I note whilst reading this morning about BBC Three now having gone online (BBC News website) the average age of a BBC viewer has now risen to 59.

Within that article there are more statistics about what younger people watch and listen to. Now whilst I fit quite nicely into the BBC demographic it does make one wonder what the future holds especially when you look at those viewing habits of younger people.

| Tue 16 Feb 2016 10:55:35 #38 |
  9. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Faust - 11 hours ago  » the average age of a BBC viewer has now risen to 59

Even taking into account all the CBeebies viewers? I find that hard to believe.

| Tue 16 Feb 2016 22:40:23 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

gomezz - 1 hour ago  » 

Faust - 11 hours ago  » the average age of a BBC viewer has now risen to 59

Even taking into account all the CBeebies viewers? I find that hard to believe.

Well I didn't make it up, it is on the BBC News website. As already said, I do fit that category.

| Tue 16 Feb 2016 23:46:23 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.