My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Disney + and iPlayer

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ejenner

Hi guys,

Moved house recently and only just had a chance to setup my Humax 4000

We no longer pay for a TV license so don't want the BBC iPlayer App. Can it be removed?

I also have a Disney+ subscription. Is it possible to add the Disney+ app?

| Mon 14 Dec 2020 17:05:46 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ejenner - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi guys,
    Moved house recently and only just had a chance to setup my Humax 4000
    We no longer pay for a TV license so don't want the BBC iPlayer App. Can it be removed?
    I also have a Disney+ subscription. Is it possible to add the Disney+ app?

Not on a 4000/5000T which is max full-HD. Disney+ has 4K content. To view all content you need a 4K capable TV and a 4K box like the Humax Aura.

If you have a full-HD TV get a 4K firestick

| Mon 14 Dec 2020 18:56:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ejenner

Fair enough on the disney+ side of things. However... is there a way to stay safe from the BBC license man? It'd be nice to be able to delete the iPlayer app. I've deleted it from my LG tv.

| Tue 15 Dec 2020 14:25:52 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

ejenner - 20 mins ago  » 
    Fair enough on the disney+ side of things. However... is there a way to stay safe from the BBC license man? It'd be nice to be able to delete the iPlayer app. I've deleted it from my LG tv.

Deleting iPlayer is pointless. Can I suggest that you read up on the actual requirements for a license? In essence, you only need a licence for watching or recording any channel as it is broadcast (including +1 channels and via a satellite dish, cable or streaming) or watching anything on iPlayer. As long as you don't do any of that, you are fine irrespective of whether you have the iPlayer app or not.
    https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence

| Tue 15 Dec 2020 14:55:05 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ejenner

If the app is on your player then people can use it? Usage would then be logged against your IP address.

I accept, the chances of being prosecuted for not having a TV license is small. But it is the most prosecuted crime in the country so maybe not small enough to be caviller about it!

I know there are people around who flagrantly flout the license law and no doubt they would be better targets for the man than we would. But I'd still like to do what I can to make sure.

| Tue 15 Dec 2020 15:56:56 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

The point I am trying to make is :-
    are you certain that one of your other methods of watching content doesn't leave you liable?
    It's amazing how many people think (for example) that having no aerial and only watching Sky/Virgin means they don't need a licence.

| Tue 15 Dec 2020 16:14:10 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

ejenner

Oh, I see what you mean.

No, we have no access to live TV. I've cut all the aerials and we don't subscribe to Sky ect.

We use YouTube, Netflix, Amazon. And we could use the catch-up players which aren't iPlayer... but very rarely do so.

| Tue 15 Dec 2020 16:16:44 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

meadfoot

As the TV Licencing website says

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
    watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
    download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.
    This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

TV Licencing website

| Tue 15 Dec 2020 16:51:45 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ejenner - 5 hours ago  » 
    We use YouTube, Netflix, Amazon. And we could use the catch-up players which aren't iPlayer... but very rarely do so.

Yes I think you are Ok providing you don't use the catch-up players to stream live content.

| Tue 15 Dec 2020 21:57:47 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.