My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

DLNA Access to 4000T

(42 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

royw

Well guys as per my previous post. The fix worked for me. And today it's still working. At first I thought it wasn't but when I checked, my Wi-Fi connection hadn't picked up a valid IP address from my router's DNS. it had a default IP address 168... etc and no internet connection, as soon as I forced it to reconnect to my router to obtain a valid address and connect to the internet, all previously working functions worked again. I do wish it was possible to set a fixed IP address in the Wi-Fi settings.
    The Android TV guide app shows the schedule and guide, but if you set a recording from the guide, then go to look at the schedule, it comes back empty.
    I found that if I close the app, then go to the 4000T PVR remote recording menu and purely choose to set the update interval (even without changing it). Then open the guide app again and the schedule is there again and has been updated. I assume it would've updated itself after the specified time. (I've changed mine to 10 minutes.
    The Android Live TV app only shows my recordings (although not initially, it takes a second or so to populate), no live channels or guide appear in this app though.
    Media player DNLA is still working ok, showing channels and recordings, but as others say, not available if 4000T is in standby with the new software.
    As I mentioned in my previous post I did not attempt to enable or set Server Activation Time in the network settings because it was after I tried switching it on before that things went wrong, so I thought it best to leave that feature turned off.
    I've just checked again and all apps are still working as I mentioned at the start of this post.
    Still happy

| Sun 28 Aug 2016 19:47:14 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

Whether it helps or not, you should be able to go into your router menu and set the Humax to a fixed IP address.

Seems like vers 31 is a bit random. I still can't get DLNA access to work nor the apps.

| Mon 29 Aug 2016 10:59:28 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

royw

Hi Giverny. Thanks but it needs to be fixed in the Humax.
    I can reserve a fixed IP number for the Humax and other fixed IP devices in my router, I do that for my TVs and Networked file server etc. But that excludes those numbers from being issued by the DHCP. Those devices then need to know the address of the fixed IP reserved. Likewise, the Humax wouldn't know the address I've assigned (if I can't set in manually in the Wi-Fi settings of the Humax, then without that information, it just asks the router's DHCP for an address, and the DHCP won't issue a reserved number.
    The is another option in the router, by specifying the MAC address of the Humax, but if I do that then I have to specify the MAC address of every device I want to allow to access my router. That option is designed only to allow access to devices with pre specified MAC addresses.
    There is an option in the Humax to specify a fixed IP address in the LAN (wired) manual settings, but no manual settings in the Wi-Fi option.
    It would also help of the Humax had (or let you set) a host name, but it doesn't, it's just blank. It has a name in network server share section but that's not the same. Some routers don't like devices with a blank host name. They block access to them with their firewall. And some can't handle more than one device at the same time with blank host names. Firewall kicks in again.
    Without a fixed IP address it means that whenever the DHCP issues a different IP address, the old address has to be removed and the new address has to be registered in the 'My Humax" page online, otherwise the apps won't work again.

| Mon 29 Aug 2016 13:33:02 #13 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

royw -

Does your router offer the possibility of assigning an address reservation (Frequently in advanced settings).
    This assigns a MAC address to a IP address within the DHCP address pool. DHCP will then always assign this address, normally with an infinite (or very long) lease. There is no need to assign all your devices.

| Mon 29 Aug 2016 13:48:40 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

royw

REPASSAC -
    It's a Belkin router, and from memory it will only reserve IP addresses outside the range available for the DHCP to allocate. It does, as I mentioned in my last post, allow me to enter the MAC address of the Humax, that's easy, but if I do that for that one device it turns on MAC filtering, which means I then have to list all the MAC addresses of every device I want to allow access through my router.
    I'll check later to see if it will permit me to reserve an IP address within the DHCPs range of addresses. I know when I do reserve an IP address outside of the DHCP range it doesn't ask for, or let me specify the MAC address of the Humax.

I just don't have this problem with any of my other devices like TVs, Internet radios or servers or even my Panasonic PVR where I can manually specify in the device the fixed IP I reserve in the router. Also all my other devices have or let me enter in their settings a Host name. The Humax just doesn't have one, it's blank.

| Mon 29 Aug 2016 18:09:07 #15 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

royw - Most Belkin routers do have this setting - specify model number or search for the words "Belkin Model number, 'address reservation'"

| Mon 29 Aug 2016 19:14:15 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

Once the Humax has an automatic connection, if you set the IP address allocation in the router to Static for the Humax, the router should recognise next time the Humax sends an address request through and allocate the same one as before, as for other fixed address devices that you have defined.

The router should know which ones are pre-allocated and handle DHCP requests automatically from other devices by using unallocated numbers.

| Mon 29 Aug 2016 23:08:03 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

seniorbj

I've read all the previous on this thread and am having much the same problems with viewing recorded files via media player on my Win10 laptop, up until a couple of weeks ago there were no problems, now all I see are a long list of 0kb channel names. The Android app on my tablet which was working very well won't do anything despite several uninstall/install episodes. If all this has been caused by a software upgrade why is it not tested properly before issue, and more to the point how do they manage to call it a software update if all it does is cause problems for the consumer.

| Tue 30 Aug 2016 19:59:11 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

royw

REPASAC - thanks for your advice. Sorry for my late response but the Belkin router is at my Sister's house. I have the same Humax at home but my router is a Netgear D6200, this led to my confusion as to where I was and wasn't able to reserve IP addresses. In the Netgear all is fine and that's where I have been able to reserve an address for my Humax.

The Belkin router is where my Sister's Humax is.
    It's an old Belkin N (F5D8633-4). It has no option at all (even in advanced settings) to reserve IP addresses in or out of the range of available IP addresses for the DHCP to allocate. The only thing that can be changed is the start and end of the range of available addresses for it to allocate.
    The Belkin does allow MAC address control and or MAC address filtering. I can enter the MAC address of the Humax, but if I do that, for either filtering or access control, I then have to list all the MAC addresses of every other device I want to allow access through the router. (Very archaic and restrictive.)

The IP lease time is set to infinite.

I have definitely discovered in the past this Belkin does not like devices without a Host name and blocks access to those devices if more than one device without a Host name attempts to connect (even the original single device which it allowed originally, once a second attempts to connect).

Roy

| Fri 2 Sep 2016 12:55:36 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

royw

Just to add, I mention the problem about the Belkin and blank Host names because the Humax has no Host name (it's blank) and there is no option to set one.

| Fri 2 Sep 2016 13:01:48 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.