My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

DLNA Server. Why not?

(9 posts)
  1. black knight

black knight

special member

Has there ever been any other news about a DLNA server for the HDR1000S? For me it's one of the main features lacking from this box, and I'd love to be able to stream SD content to other boxes?

Why have Humax seemingly abandoned this idea on the Freesat range, yet have no problem implementing it on their Freeview HDR's?

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 11:35:47 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

black knight - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Has there ever been any other news about a DLNA server for the HDR1000S? For me it's one of the main features lacking from this box, and I'd love to be able to stream SD content to other boxes?
    Why have Humax seemingly abandoned this idea on the Freesat range, yet have no problem implementing it on their Freeview HDR's?

I would be gueesing, but the Freeview spec allows a lot more freedom for different makers to incorporate these sort of features.

The Freetime unit UI and extra capabilities are probably restricted by Freesat and this could well be why there is no server.

The HDR FOX T2 has the best capability, even allowing HD recordings to be viewed remotely using another HDR FOX T2.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 11:53:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Also may be relevant that

- Freesat competes with Sky, on the same platform, but Freeview doesn't
    - ITV, which is a partner in both Freesat and Freeview Play, has contracts with Sky

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 13:04:39 #3 |
  4. black knight

black knight

special member

JamesB - 4 hours ago  » 
    - ITV, which is a partner in both Freesat and Freeview Play, has contracts with Sky

How is that relevant to having a DLNA server though? Not really sure I'd agree that Freesat is competition for Sky. BT on the other hand....

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 17:54:58 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

black knight - 7 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 4 hours ago  » 

How is that relevant to having a DLNA server though? Not really sure I'd agree that Freesat is competition for Sky. BT on the other hand....

There are a heck of a lot of ex sky subscribers who have switched to Freesat, and as a result have healthier bank balances

The fact that a Freesat+ box is more or less a straight swap for a Sky box is clearly a selling point.

I do agree that wasn't the primary purpose of Freesat, but it has worked out that way.

I am though convinced the lack of a server is down to politics, not any sort of hardware limitations.

There is always the option of a Foxsat-HDR with the custom firmware add on.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 18:05:23 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

black knight - 1 hour ago  » 

JamesB - 4 hours ago  » 

How is that relevant to having a DLNA server though?

The most-watched channels on Sky are the same FTA channels that are the most-watched channels on Freesat. Sky presumably doesn't want satellite users to be recording those channels on Freesat and keeping their chosen content indefinitely, serving it up to the bedroom, and generally doing all the things Sky likes to charge extra for, without paying Sky a penny. So it wouldn't be surprising if Sky used its contractual negotiations with ITV -one of Freesat's owners - to reach agreement that future Freesat models wouldn't include a DLNA server.

Not really sure I'd agree that Freesat is competition for Sky. BT on the other hand...

Freesat competes with Sky on satellite. BT TV does not.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 19:34:34 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Agree with the last two posts. Would like a secure DLNA sever however. Is a large criteria in platform selection, freesat should note.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 20:11:31 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 1 minute ago  » 
    Agree with the last two posts. Would like a secure DLNA sever however. Is a large criteria in platform selection, freesat should note.

+1

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 20:14:26 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

When the hdr1000s was launched Humax stated a plan to provide this feature. I suspect it never happened because Freesat as owners of the s/w are only interested in maximising revenue for themselves and see no advantage in providing a server.

| Sat 31 Oct 2015 12:27:17 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.