My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Does HS1000S need a TV ?

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

CoolRunning

I just got a HS1000S but my old TV has a scart and not a HDMI connector,

I need to buy something, but I wonder if I get a new PC display screen (of course with HDMI input) and with speakers, will this work?

Your ideas appreciated,

Thanks

| Mon 14 Dec 2015 18:49:58 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Before buying a monitor make sure it will synch at 50Hz. Many monitors have a lowest refresh of 56 or 60Hz. A TV will guarantee 50Hz support (and most newer ones 24Hz).

Welcome to our forum.

| Mon 14 Dec 2015 18:54:33 #2 |
  3. jamonbread

jamonbread

CoolRunning - 2 hours ago  » 
    I need to buy something, but I wonder if I get a new PC display screen (of course with HDMI input) and with speakers, will this work?
    Your ideas appreciated,
    Thanks

Most PC monitors with HDMI inputs should support 50hz inputs over HDMI at least in my experience they have.

I have my Humax Freetime box plugged into a budget Dell IPS display and it works perfectly even with interlaced signals over HDMI. The Humax Freetime boxes have an option to up-scale all output to 1080p so you shouldn't have to worry if the display you buy can handle interlaced signals or not.

My display doesn't have on board speakers but like most monitors with HDMI inputs it has audio pass-through in the form of a 3.5mm stereo Mini Jack. I have a USB powered speaker plugged into one of the USB sockets on the Humax box which provides all the power it needs.

Most PC monitors that have inbuilt speakers tend to sound pretty terrible with very quiet audio output in my experience.

| Mon 14 Dec 2015 22:02:15 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jamonbread - 31 minutes ago  » 

CoolRunning - 2 hours ago  » 
    Your ideas appreciated,
    Thanks

Most PC monitors with HDMI inputs should support 50hz inputs over HDMI at least in my experience they have.
    I have my Humax Freetime box plugged into a budget Dell IPS display and it works perfectly even with interlaced signals over HDMI. The Humax Freetime boxes have an option to up-scale all output to 1080p so you shouldn't have to worry if the display you buy can handle interlaced signals or not.
    My display doesn't have on board speakers but like most monitors with HDMI inputs it has audio pass-through in the form of a 3.5mm stereo Mini Jack. I have a USB powered speaker plugged into one of the USB sockets on the Humax box which provides all the power it needs.
    Most PC monitors that have inbuilt speakers tend to sound pretty terrible with very quiet audio output in my experience.

Apart from the motion artefacts, you cannot always tell. Not saying you won't get a picture because the HDMI handshake causes the source to output at 60Hz. Does your monitor display the actual refresh rate being used ?

The technical spec, should state the usable refresh rates and at which resolution for HDMI/DVI digital inputs. You need 1920 x 1080 at 50Hz to be a supported option.

| Mon 14 Dec 2015 22:37:10 #4 |
  5. jamonbread

jamonbread

TFT central reviewed the monitor I have currently and confirmed it synced with 50hz inputs signals and supports them. My last display which was a cheapo TN BenQ also supported 50hz over HDMI. These displays with HDMI inputs are often marketed for use with games consoles and other HDMI devices and so often support 50hz.
    It even accepts none up-scaled standard resolution interlaced signals over HDMI and up-scales them properly as did the BenQ I had previously.

| Mon 14 Dec 2015 22:59:46 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jamonbread - 4 minutes ago  » 
    TFT central reviewed the monitor I have currently and confirmed it synced with 50hz inputs signals and supports them. My last display which was a cheapo TN BenQ also supported 50hz over HDMI. These displays with HDMI inputs are often marketed for use with games consoles and other HDMI devices and so often support 50hz.
    It even accepts none up-scaled standard resolution interlaced signals over HDMI and up-scales them properly as did the BenQ I had previously.

As I said there are some.

See

http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-144224.html

| Mon 14 Dec 2015 23:05:00 #6 |
  7. jamonbread

jamonbread

grahamlthompson - 2 minutes ago  » 

jamonbread - 4 minutes ago  » 

As I said there are some.
    See

I just changed the output of the AMD display drivers to 1080p at 50hz and my displays menu reports its receiving a 50hz signal instead of 60hz.

All monitors I've owned so far have supported several different refresh rates at different resolutions. My display can do 1080p at 60hz but can do 75hz at lower resolutions. I'm just reading through the link you posted now.

| Mon 14 Dec 2015 23:19:12 #7 |
  8. jamonbread

jamonbread

Thanks for the link looks like I've lucked out on monitors over the years. Something worth looking out for if I ever need to replace my current display as I don't have the room or the resources for 2 displays in my room.

Setting my display to 50hz in Windows if I'm ever watching UK content on Netflix should produce smoother motion.

| Tue 15 Dec 2015 0:30:42 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jamonbread - 9 hours ago  » 
    Setting my display to 50hz in Windows if I'm ever watching UK content on Netflix should produce smoother motion.

Streamed content is a bit of a lottery, some is 60Hz, some is 24Hz. Only way I have of smooth 24Hz playback is using my smart Blu-ray player. All the other kit recodes to 60Hz. If you say download a 1080p24 clip and stick it on a usb stick. Playback using my Blu-ray is noticebally smoother.

| Tue 15 Dec 2015 10:33:11 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

CoolRunning

Hey, this is really a fabulous forum with lots of informed and helpful people.

Now I'll go and check my monitors.

Thanks to you all.

| Tue 15 Dec 2015 17:26:54 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.