My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Doing a complete retune

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Because of the recent changes at Crystal Palace, I decided to do a complete retune on my 5000T to get rid of entries from COM 7&8 which I can no longer receive (I am not bothered by the loss and will not be changing my aerial).

So I started an automatic scan (Smart search) running and it went right through and completed. I then checked the channel list and it was still showing BBC Four HD, even though that Mux had not scanned anything. So that meant that the redundant stuff had not been cleared out.

Not being sure of the best way to proceed, I then went to the Edit Channels page and selected all TV and deleted, followed by all radio, so now there were no channels.

I then rescanned (again using Smart) and on completion the list looked as it should. But, and a big but, all my schedules had gone too and I had to recreate them as best I could.

So my question is this:

Is there another straightforward method I could have used which would have cleared out the redundant channels, while leaving the schedules intact?

| Sat 7 Apr 2018 9:32:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

I always do a full retune when there have been channel changes as I don't find the smart tune very successful.

Take a photo of your timers to make it easier to put them back in again.

| Sat 7 Apr 2018 10:02:50 #2 |
  3. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

You could have just deleted the redundant channels in the Edit Channels page. I always do this after a retune to get rid of those I don't watch.

You will always lose the recording schedule if you delete all the channels. I use my iPad to take pictures of my schedule before any retune.

| Sat 7 Apr 2018 10:03:47 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Thanks for the points mentioned. Good idea to photograph the schedules.

Thinking about it, I suppose if I had selected all channels and then deselected my usual channels before the delete I might not have lost the schedules. However, I don't think I will experiment with it at the moment!

| Sat 7 Apr 2018 10:09:08 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Something I meant to ask about this.

When I did the automatic retune it found the BBC Mux from an adjacent transmitter (Ch48 from Midhurst - I use Crystal Palace) and when it got to ask me which region I wanted it didn't offer me London, only South. So I had to redelete the entries for LCN 1, 2, 9, 231 etc. and then manually retune Ch 23.

Is there something I could have done to get it to offer me London?

====

As an aside, does anyone know if the problem of the disappearing icons for iPlayer etc, is being addressed and will feature in a new software release soon? I've lost mine, but I can still use catchup from the EPG. Not keen on trying a factory reset at the moment (even if it would work!).

| Mon 9 Apr 2018 11:04:52 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

To clarify, it had loaded both Crystal Palace and Midhurst on the auto scan, not just Midhurst, but it stuck Crystal Palace up in the 800s.

| Mon 9 Apr 2018 12:38:16 #6 |
  7. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

A1944 - 1 hour ago  » 
    To clarify, it had loaded both Crystal Palace and Midhurst on the auto scan, not just Midhurst, but it stuck Crystal Palace up in the 800s.

In my experience, and from advice regularly given on here, if you receive signals from two tuners and get channels in the 800s it can cause recording problems, and the best course of action is to eschew auto tuning altogether and do a manual tune from the correct transmitter.

There was a detailed explanation about this on here, but I've searched in vain for it.

| Mon 9 Apr 2018 14:08:10 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Before you start photograph your recording schedule so you can restore it.

Firstly identify which UHF channels your TV transmitter uses for it's multiplexes,

For Crystal Palace

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/SW1W+0DT/10/0/87p8nqa81om0j9463um71g1ps3

Note BBC B HD, COM 7 and COM 8 use DVB-T2, the rest DVB-T

Next you need to delete all your existing radio and tv channels.

FreeviewPlay button - select settings - edit channel list -OK

Press +EDIT Select All - then Delete. Use Change group to select radio, repeat delete and save on exit.

You should now have no channels

Freeview Play - Settings - Channel settings - Manual Channel Search - OK

Enter each mux in turn selecting DVB or DVB-T2 as follows and search in turn

23 26 25 22 28 - DVB-T

30 55 56 - DVB-T2

When you enter the parameters the mux signal strength and quality will be displayed.

When all are entered save the results on exit.

| Mon 9 Apr 2018 14:32:36 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Thanks folks and yes, I agree that a manual tune is the best, though more laborious way of doing it, I was just a bit surprised when the auto didn't give me the opportunity to select London. This despite the fact that for all Mux, London had been found plus one was duplicated for South. It seemed to be about to give me a choice of regions, but it turned out to be a choice of one, which appeared rather strange.

Anyway, I got it all sorted out using manual tuning and I am OK.

| Mon 9 Apr 2018 14:54:21 #9 |
  10. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

grahamlthompson - 5 hours ago  » 
    Enter each mux in turn selecting DVB or DVB-T2 as follows and search in turn
    23 26 25 22 28 - DVB-T
    30 55 56 - DVB-T2
    When you enter the parameters the mux signal strength and quality will be displayed.
    When all are entered save the results on exit.

There's also the Local channel on UHF 35 (moved from 29 when Com 7 & 8 moved) which carries London Live, which shows some of the Ealing comedies amongst other things. It's lower power so depending on how far you are from CP you may not get a good enough signal but worth a try

| Mon 9 Apr 2018 19:48:44 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.