My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Dolby 5.1 through HDMI cable

(8 posts)
  1. badbones

badbones

Hi all!

I have read a review that says that Dolby 5.1 surround sound is fed through the HDMI output of the 1000s, suggesting that the optical audio connection is not required.

Is this right?

I have just acquired a surround system and my box is connected by HMDI but I cannot seem to get the surround sound to work.

I have recorded programmes from the BBC which claim to be with Dolby soundtrack but the sound only seems to come through the front speakers like a standard stereo broadcast would.

The box is set to multi channel audio.

Am I missing something? I have tried to search this and other forums but end up searching through a load of stuff that only ends up on a different subject.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

| Tue 15 Oct 2013 16:24:07 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

There's not that much programming content that actually has 5.1 surround.
    BBC has the odd film in 5.1(Armageddon was one that did the other night) & 4HD currently has Marvels Agents of SHIELD in 5.1 and they usually show most of their films in 5.1 too.
    The main downside is that there's not really a good indication of what content is broadcast in 5.1 as the broadcasters seem not to want to use the icons that tell us what's what in the guide.

| Tue 15 Oct 2013 17:00:03 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yes 5.1 is output via hdmi when it's transmitted. Much of the content is DD2.0 stereo though. Your AV amp should be capable of using Prologic2 dsp surround processing. While not as good as true 5.1 it's a fair substitute. Never seen 5.1 on ITV but there is 5.1 on the other HD channels.

| Tue 15 Oct 2013 17:00:13 #3 |
  4. badbones

badbones

Ok thanks for that guys.

I will look out for it on a film. It's trial and error I guess as there is no true 5.1 icon.

Thanks again for your help.

| Tue 15 Oct 2013 17:03:42 #4 |
  5. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Homeland on Channel 4 is DD5.1 audio.

| Tue 15 Oct 2013 18:08:37 #5 |
  6. badbones

badbones

Thanks Gomezz

Homeland is my favourite show so I will be checking this out on the next episode.

| Tue 15 Oct 2013 19:34:47 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

just confirming Graham's observation, nothing I've ever recorded on ITV has been 5.1, always at most DD2.0

and also Gonzo's, there just isn't much 5.1 around, even the block-busters I'd expect.

C4 tends to be better at broadcasting 5.1 and I'm sure Jools Holland is 5.1 as well.
    I'm also looking forward to the next Homeland

| Tue 15 Oct 2013 19:39:23 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

badbones - 3 hours ago  » 
    Ok thanks for that guys.
    I will look out for it on a film. It's trial and error I guess as there is no true 5.1 icon.
    Thanks again for your help.

Your AV amp should have a DD icon. On my Denon the icon is always lit for HD channels, unless you select the MP2 audio described track. . The display says Dolby PLII for 2.0 and Dolby Digital for 5.1. Never looked really closely at the 1000S display (the icons are really tiny so there may also be an indication of 6 channel reception there as well.

Dr Who is usually 5.1.

| Tue 15 Oct 2013 20:51:37 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.