My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Download quality

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Just had a play with local streaming of a live HD channel into a PC browser, worked fine but the "Transcoder state" page of the boxes web-interface showed that 1 transcoder was in use, so I presume it is rendering on the fly to distribute the picture. I presume that means it ends up being non-HD, but for the use-cases I'm thinking of (keeping half an eye on a sporting event whilst cooking tea, watching the news etc) I doubt that would be an issue anyway. Will be interesting to see what the quality looks like when it is deliverd via an app interface.

Two browser windows could simultaneously stream but a third couldn't start the transcoder, so I guess that would be a limitation with devices around the house.

Not likely to be an issue in practice though.

| Mon 11 Jan 2021 15:27:17 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 6 hours ago  » 
    Just had a play with local streaming of a live HD channel into a PC browser, worked fine but the "Transcoder state" page of the boxes web-interface showed that 1 transcoder was in use, so I presume it is rendering on the fly to distribute the picture. I presume that means it ends up being non-HD, but for the use-cases I'm thinking of (keeping half an eye on a sporting event whilst cooking tea, watching the news etc) I doubt that would be an issue anyway. Will be interesting to see what the quality looks like when it is deliverd via an app interface.
    Two browser windows could simultaneously stream but a third couldn't start the transcoder, so I guess that would be a limitation with devices around the house.

Easy to check, No way to suggest so far to imagine the quality you get from downloading content from the the built in Webif will be improved.

Only way would seem to be to increase the bitrate used for the conversion.

That of course would inflate the file size and the time required to create the SD file.

| Mon 11 Jan 2021 22:12:43 #12 |
  3. GordyBoy

GordyBoy

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

larkim - 6 hours ago  » 

Easy to check, No way to suggest so far to imagine the quality you get from downloading content from the the built in Webif will be improved.
    Only way would seem to be to increase the bitrate used for the conversion.
    That of course would inflate the file size and the time required to create the SD file.

The Aura is slow to transcribe and then download a relatively small file. My FVP4000t can download the same SD programme far quicker and is a much larger file size.

Aura 1 hour SD download is about 500MB - FVP 4000t download of the same file is about 1GB plus and is a lot quicker but still a good few minutes.

| Mon 11 Jan 2021 23:44:14 #13 |
  4. GordyBoy

GordyBoy

Could the bitrate of a download from the Aura be improved by Humax in a software update or is it more complicated than that?

| Mon 11 Jan 2021 23:45:49 #14 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.