My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Downloading Recordings to another storage drive.

(11 posts)
  1. Dinfrance

Dinfrance

Hi everyone, new member with a dodgy box!
    My box has stopped recording scheduled programmes and only one connection to my double LNB is working so I am replacing it. I have so great programmes on the HD which I would like to recover before scrapping it. The HD is 42% full which is about 225 GB.

I would like to move them to an external HD.
    A) Can this be done?
    B) How do I do it?
    C) Once the new box arrives can I then load the saved programmes up to the new 1TB HD?

The new box is a Humax HDR-1100S 1TB

Any help appreciated

| Fri 16 Aug 2019 13:55:58 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Dinfrance - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi everyone, new member with a dodgy box!
    My box has stopped recording scheduled programmes and only one connection to my double LNB is working so I am replacing it. I have so great programmes on the HD which I would like to recover before scrapping it. The HD is 42% full which is about 225 GB.
    I would like to move them to an external HD.
    A) Can this be done?
    B) How do I do it?
    C) Once the new box arrives can I then load the saved programmes up to the new 1TB HD?
    The new box is a Humax HDR-1100S 1TB
    Any help appreciated

You can copy them to a usb drive but the ones recorded from HD channels will only work on the Foxsat-HDR that recorded them due to encryption, unless you recorded them manually in non-freesat mode. SD recordings aren't encrypted so you can upload using USB to a HDR-1100S and play them back.

Welcome to our forum.

| Fri 16 Aug 2019 18:24:16 #2 |
  3. Dinfrance

Dinfrance

Many thanks.

| Fri 16 Aug 2019 19:14:06 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Dinfrance - 23 mins ago  » 
    Many thanks.

You are welcome. If SD you might need some help to copy to usb (the UI can be a bit ambigous especially if you want to copy a whole series folder, it's a very slow process) . The USB drive will need to be formatted FAT32 (max file size 4GB - which for SD is not likely to be a issue). removing the HDD and connecting it a to a PC booted into linux using a usb sata drive cradle will massively speed up the copying process.

| Fri 16 Aug 2019 19:43:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mr345

You can also copy them over a network but my 1000T uses Samba 1.0, which Windows 10 disabled in a recent update as it's a security exposure. I'll just list the steps as I got it working & others may find this of use. You can install Samba 1.0, but probably wise to revoke it when finished, Samba 3 or later is fine but the PVR won't talk to it (I think the current version is 5). Samba is used for Linux & Microsoft systems to talk to each other, Linux to Linux doesn't require it (the Humax OS is some form of Linux).

Windows 10 Samba 1 removed in 2019 update

Oddly, both old & new versions of Windows Media Player loads the content over the network without Samba, even though a file expolorer rejects the Samba version. This is handy to identify filenames. The Win10 media player is called 'Film & TV' and while it will play the rfiles form the Humax, it doesn't provide file properties, so the older version is more useful.

I'd recommend copying your files & then switch back to only a later version of Samba. I have a QNAP NAS and this is quite easy to toggle. I copied the files using a NAS tool (DownloadStation) but this might also work with an FTP or SSH client. After a bit of experimenting, I found the files to be in two formats and could be copied using the address:

http://(your Humax device IP on your home LAN):9000/web/media/(filename).ts

For *.hum file properties in Windows Media Player, copy the name from properties up to the '?', ignore from the '?' on. Then paste the path but remove the '.HUM' extension and change it to '.ts'.

eg If the PVR address is 192.168.1.20, Media player propeties for a recording were
    http://192.168.1.20/web/media/0_2781.HUM?WMHME=etc..etc..

So to copy, use:
    http://192.168.1.20/web/media/0_2781.ts

The other format were dlna file names and you can use the above format and substitue the file number found in the properties. eg Media Player properties of a recording were:

dlna-playsingle://uuid:etc..etc..:ContentDirectory&iid=0_0\1\8\9874&WMQ=etc ..etc..

You only need the 3 or 4 digit number from this, 9874 in this example:
    http://192.168.1.20/web/media/0_9874.ts

I'm unclear what the other numbers are, so some testing may be needed for larger libraries etc. GB files copied over the home lan to the NAS in a few minutes. The QNAP NAS has built in hardware transcoding but wasn't needed here, unless you want it to cut the resolution (& file size) down for you automatically.

FYI there have been legions of issues & complaints over the past few years with issues in retaining Windows user drive mapping to Linux/Unix network servers & NAS hosts, and these issues are largely related to mixed Samba versions. If you have these issues, the Samba note from MS is worth bookmarking.

| Sun 18 Aug 2019 8:13:14 #5 |
  6. Dinfrance

Dinfrance

Once again, many thanks for this, I will see what I can manage and report the results. Might take a couple of weeks though.

| Sun 18 Aug 2019 8:41:49 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Mr345 - 1 hour ago  » 
    You can also copy them over a network but my 1000T uses Samba 1.0, which Windows 10 disabled in a recent update as it's a security exposure.

Please could you clarify exactly which model of Humax box you have?

| Sun 18 Aug 2019 9:38:35 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mr345

HMS-1000T (4tune)

Bought in June 2015. Currently not displaying any video at all, hence my need to copy recordings remotely, a network connection is the only way I can see what's going on.

| Sun 18 Aug 2019 9:45:04 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mr345 - 1 hour ago  » 
    HMS-1000T (4tune)
    Bought in June 2015. Currently not displaying any video at all, hence my need to copy recordings remotely, a network connection is the only way I can see what's going on.

No wonder the confusion. The Thread is about the Foxsat-HDR which is a UK based satellite pvr using the UK based Freesat epg.

Samba 1.0 can be installed on Windows 10. I have it on my laptop that has the latest Windows 10 update,

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-access-files-network-devices-using-smbv1-windows-10

The HDR-1100S mentioned is a UK based 2nd generation freesat satellite pvr.

Pretty sure the HMS-1000T is a Humax pvr sold in Australia. You are unlikely to find a member of a UK based forum has this box and it's unlikely to work here at all due to differences in the Digital broadcasting system between the UK and Australia (eg the channel spacing is different).

| Sun 18 Aug 2019 11:45:19 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Here's a link to Humax Australia for details of the HMS-1000T

https://au.humaxdigital.com/product/4tune/

| Sun 18 Aug 2019 13:55:35 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.