My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Drive not visible on PC

(62 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

KenUK

I can use my newly bought FVP4000T to play files in the lounge stored on my PC upstairs, but when on my (Windows 7) PC upstairs I can't see the Humax as a drive at all under "My PC". I can see it under "Network" as a "Media Device" and under "Other devices" as a "dial server", but can't access any files to click and drag them (although I can see them if I double click the icons as files in WMP, apparently protected, and unplayable).

Have meticulously followed all settings instructions from Humax about Samba & Network servers & FTP to no avail.

Humax help team suggests "security settings on your PC are interfering with the network operations", but not how to go about changing them, so I switched off the firewall completely and it made no difference.

I've also found that the Network map says "the following discovered devices cannot be placed in the map", but doesn't say why not or what you can do about it.

Odd behaviour of the Humax so far has included deleting all recordings when I transferred a small mpeg from a USB stick to its hard drive (fortunately not a big deal as the device is only days old, but quite a major negative if it happens again); and never starting settings unless I press the Home button twice. I presume these glitches are irrelevant, but mention them in case they aren't.

I'd be most grateful for any help anyone can offer.

| Sun 15 Nov 2015 11:39:41 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

zmsc1

Afraid I can't help, but I can tell you I get the same issues on my MacBook and on my second-best PC on which I run Ubuntu, and on my third-best PC running Windows 10! So the problem may not be security settings on your PC.

Have you learned anything else in the weeks since your post?

| Wed 23 Dec 2015 21:02:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

KenUK

I haven't learned anything that will help I'm afraid, but I have concluded that the Humax is never going to appear as a drive no matter what I do, and I have taken it back for a refund. I suspect that people who just want to record television programmes, store them on the box they recorded them on, and watch them at another time will find this product ideal.

However anybody who wants to do anything else, like write DVDs from the files, will probably be disappointed. Humax responds to my telling them that the files produced by their box often can't be handled by a variety of different software packages – like Aimersoft, DVD Lab Pro, VideoReDo, WMP - that they will probably play on VLC. But that isn't the point. I want to manipulate them, cut bits out, write DVDs with them etc and that's why I decided to take the Humax back.

I haven't found anything that will write DVDs or allow you to take files off that you can work with, btw, but would love to hear if such a product exists from anyone who finds one.

| Thu 24 Dec 2015 11:31:38 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

My old Sony HDD/DVD recorder can do this - you can snip out ads, subdivide recordings, retitle - manhandle the recording in any way you like and then write the result to DVD or HDD, no other equipment or software required. You might find one on ebay. SD, of course.

The early YouView boxes (DTR-1000/1010) could send a recording to a DVD recorder in realtime, via SCART. I don't know about current models.

| Thu 24 Dec 2015 12:02:28 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

KenUK

Thanks for this info! We've had Panasonic DVD recorders for ages but they have a recurrent fault which displays U80 or U81, and which Panasonic don't seem to have bothered to deal with even in recent models - hence the change to Humax, which unfortunately just swapped one problem for another set! It seems people who want media storage not linked to the recorder are few and far between.

| Thu 24 Dec 2015 12:32:28 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

It's basically a rights issue. But it may also be true that fewer people are interested in building up physical media libraries than was previously the case.

| Thu 24 Dec 2015 12:39:47 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Any of the Humax Freeview+ recorders HDR FOX T2, HDR1800/2000T will export SD recordings to USB (removing the encryption in the copying process). The content is DVD compliant mpeg2 in a transport stream container. No problem with editing in Videoredo. As the FVP-4000T is recording the same data and use the same container format, and as I understand it also decrypts SD on copying to USB I would be surprised if that doesn't work. I wouldn't expect transfers by FTP or Samba to decrypt though. Perhaps a owner would comment. Personally I wouldn't bother with burning to DVD. Editing with VideoRedo and copying to a USB Hard Drive (or a large capacity USB memory stick) and using a cheap portable media player (from about £20.00) will play back anywhere you have a TV with a HDMI port. You can also replay on mobile devices like tablets and smart phones. A 500GB USB portable hard drive will hold a lot of SD content.

Using a DVD recorder while simple has two problems.

1 You can only record in real time and doing so means you can't use the box while doing so.

2 Copying the original data as is is lossless, using a DVD recorder has two lossy conversion steps. The source has to convert the digital data to analogue. The DVD reccrder has to recode the analogue data back to mpeg2 in real time.

Videoredo is extremely fast as content is only recoded at edit points. Basically it's almost as fast as your hard disk can write the data.

| Thu 24 Dec 2015 12:39:55 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

KenUK - 1 month ago  » 
    I can use my newly bought FVP4000T to play files in the lounge stored on my PC upstairs, but when on my (Windows 7) PC upstairs I can't see the Humax as a drive at all under "My PC". I can see it under "Network" as a "Media Device" and under "Other devices" as a "dial server", but can't access any files to click and drag them (although I can see them if I double click the icons as files in WMP, apparently protected, and unplayable).
    Have meticulously followed all settings instructions from Humax about Samba & Network servers & FTP to no avail.
    Humax help team suggests "security settings on your PC are interfering with the network operations", but not how to go about changing them, so I switched off the firewall completely and it made no difference.
    I've also found that the Network map says "the following discovered devices cannot be placed in the map", but doesn't say why not or what you can do about it.
    Odd behaviour of the Humax so far has included deleting all recordings when I transferred a small mpeg from a USB stick to its hard drive (fortunately not a big deal as the device is only days old, but quite a major negative if it happens again); and never starting settings unless I press the Home button twice. I presume these glitches are irrelevant, but mention them in case they aren't.
    I'd be most grateful for any help anyone can offer.

I've been struggling for weeks to get the FVP-4000T to appear as a mapped drive on any of my Windows PC. I did manage to get it to appear in the Network as a media device on some of them but it would not appear in the Network on others at all.

I played around with security settings, ports, firewalls etc but finally today hit on the solution which works for me.

Firstly open file explorer and select Map Network Drive. Select a suitable drive letter and then in the server path box type \\192.168.0.3\recordings\ - obviously you need to use your Humax's IP address which you can read from the Network section of Settings.

When I first did this the Recordings folder appeared as drive Z but was completely empty even though I knew there were recordings in there so I went back into the Humax settings and turned off the FTP server, turned off the Download folder and cancelled the password option. With just SAMBA server on, I went back into Network Server and restarted the Server under Server Status.

Immediately the empty folder was populated with all the TV recordings which can now be copied to the PC.

I probably won't use the Download folder option but I would hope that now having started this process it should be possible to continue with the same logic and set up file copying of image or video files from PC to Humax.

I hope this helps.

Richard

| Sat 26 Dec 2015 23:42:50 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

I've been struggling for weeks to get the FVP-4000T to appear as a mapped drive on any of my Windows PC. I did manage to get it to appear in the Network as a media device on some of them but it would not appear in the Network on others at all.
    I played around with security settings, ports, firewalls etc but finally today hit on the solution which works for me.
    Firstly open file explorer and select Map Network Drive. Select a suitable drive letter and then in the server path box type \\192.168.0.3\recordings\ - obviously you need to use your Humax's IP address which you can read from the Network section of Settings.
    When I first did this the Recordings folder appeared as drive Z but was completely empty even though I knew there were recordings in there so I went back into the Humax settings and turned off the FTP server, turned off the Download folder and cancelled the password option. With just SAMBA server on, I went back into Network Server and restarted the Server under Server Status.
    Immediately the empty folder was populated with all the TV recordings which can now be copied to the PC.
    I probably won't use the Download folder option but I would hope that now having started this process it should be possible to continue with the same logic and set up file copying of image or video files from PC to Humax.
    I hope this helps.
    Richard

Tried again this morning and Drive Z was still visible but empty again. Restarted SAMBA server, even though it was supposedly running already, and Drive Z immediately populated.

There is something seriously flaky about the SAMBA server so let's hope that Humax sort this out in a future firmware update!

Richard

| Sun 27 Dec 2015 10:24:27 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A few questions:

What was the sequence of starting the PC and from what state (Sleep, Hibernate, power down)?

Which was started first PC or FVP-4000T? Restarting Samba would cause it to rebroadcast it's presence.

Did you try refreshing the network drive (F5)?

Samba is a well known widely used server with a GNU General Public License - all Humax would have done is to compile the source.

Edit: In the network and sharing centre check that your network type is Private and that in advanced sharing settings that Network Discovery is turned on.

| Sun 27 Dec 2015 11:35:40 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.