My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Drive not visible on PC

(62 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

REPASSAC - 7 minutes ago  » 
    A few questions:
    What was the sequence of starting the PC and from what state (Sleep, Hibernate, power down)?
    Which was started first PC or FVP-4000T? Restarting Samba would cause it to rebroadcast it's presence.
    Did you try refreshing the network drive (F5)?
    Samba is a well known widely used server with a GNU General Public License - all Humax would have done is to compile the source.

I have several devices on my network with SMB/CIFS servers: NAS boxes, internet radios etc and they all work well so it's definitely the Humax implementation which is dodgy. Over the last month I have tried every possible combination of booting, re-booting, refreshing, registry edits on my PC (Vista Home Premium) and two laptops (Vista Business and W10) and even an Ubuntu 15 box which was better than Windows but still flaky.

After further experimentation this morning with the Humax shares turned on these are the Folders which can be mapped as Windows drives(exact spelling required):

\\IP\Recordings

\\IP\Download

\\IP\Music

\\IP\Video

\\IP\Photo

The path given in the Humax settings of /mnt/hd2/Media/Download appears to be of no use to Windows users.

The problem with the Humax configuration is that Music, Video and Photo and locked and will not accept uploads so all uploads (music, video or photo files or folders) have to be copied to the Downloads folder which makes it look like a mess.

Once you go into the Humax Media menu you can select between Video, Photo or Music but the files do not seem to be physically moved to the appropriate folder although they do appear and play in the correct location onscreen. The quality of playback or display is very good.

The one slight issue I have is that in the Recordings mapped drive all the files appear as .mpeg-ts, even those recorded in SD. I can drag and drop them to the PC but they won't play until I convert them to a more common .mpg format. I have a comprehensive Codec pack installed but I might be able to update that later and see if a more recent version of ffmpeg will play them. However, I will still need to convert them for playback on our Android tablets.

Any advice about why my Humax is not converting to .mpg on-the-fly would be appreciated.

Richard

Just seen your advice about private networks and discovery but I'm sure you have worked out that I'm a reasonably advanced user with a Gigabit LAN and a 802.11n wifi networks throughout the house so if this were a "normal" Windows problem I would have quickly sorted it.

| Sun 27 Dec 2015 12:09:21 #11 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

RichardS-UK - 4 hours ago  » 

A few questions:
    What was the sequence of starting the PC and from what state (Sleep, Hibernate, power down)?
    Which was started first PC or FVP-4000T? Restarting Samba would cause it to rebroadcast it's presence.
    Samba is a well known widely used server with a GNU General Public License - all Humax would have done is to compile the source.

Any advice about why my Humax is not converting to .mpg on-the-fly would be appreciated.
    Richard

Samba and FTP will just present the file as is.
    The media server should convert however to MPG or any DLNA standard formats the client understands. I would be surprised if you actually need to convert, I would think just changing the file extension to .mpg, .mpeg or .ts would do. Did you try defining mpeg-ts as an identical file type to MPEG (Just an idea)?

I don't have a FVP-4000T - what might help is can you do a
    NET view
    command and also post what your router sees as connected devices.

I also recall that most windows versions handle hosts in it's current workgroup differently from those not in the workgroup.

On the Foxsat for example the Samba install on the custom firmware specially has a user settable workgroup setting`as well as a settable host name, to cope with two Foxsats on the network.

| Sun 27 Dec 2015 17:12:40 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

REPASSAC - 4 minutes ago  » 

RichardS-UK - 4 hours ago  » 

A few questions:

Richard

Samba and FTP will just present the file as is.
    The media server should convert however to MPG or any DLNA standard formats the client understands. I would be surprised if you actually need to convert, I would think just changing the file extension to .mpg, .mpeg or .ts would do. Did you try defining mpeg-ts as an identical file type to MPEG (Just an idea)?
    I don't have a FVP-4000T - what might help is can you do a
    NET view
    command and also post what your router sees as connected devices.
    I also recall that most windows versions handle hosts in it's current workgroup differently from those not in the workgroup.
    On the Foxsat for example the Samba install on the custom firmware specially has a user settable workgroup setting`as well as a settable host name, to cope with two Foxsats on the network.

But this is not what Barry says:

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/file-transfer

I've used an FTP transfer and the files transferred are .ts encrypted as Barry says, but SD files over a mapped drive should be vanilla .mpg, so why aren't mine?

Unfortunately changing the file extension doesn't work. I'm going to play around with the file transfer / formats a bit more this evening and see if I can pin this down.

I tried changing workgroup names on the various PCs but that didn't make any difference.

Richard

| Sun 27 Dec 2015 17:20:06 #13 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

RichardS-UK - 4 minutes ago  » 

But this is not what Barry says:
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/file-transfer
    I've used an FTP transfer and the files transferred are .ts encrypted as Barry says, but SD files over a mapped drive should be vanilla .mpg, so why aren't mine?
    Unfortunately changing the file extension doesn't work.
    Richard

Barry, I notice that you have the standard hide file type set (see second JPG in link). What are they if you turn them on?

Edit: also what is you PC's/Laptops workgroup?

| Sun 27 Dec 2015 17:26:54 #14 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Turning the extn on makes no difference to file names, different set of files now admittedly

I have a home network, obviously not going to share the name, but it has been changed from the windows default

The tiles with no icon are HD recordings.

Attachments

1. Latest.jpg (107 KB, 7 downloads) 8 years old
    | Sun 27 Dec 2015 19:53:33 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

I'm still working on the file format issue but in case anyone is following my advice, the problem with the FVP-4000T server is that it does not restart automatically when the machine is turned on.

The network settings will tell you that the server is running and that SAMBA is on but they are not, at least as far as Windows is concerned, so you need to re-start them when you restart the Humax.

This explains why a lot of my faffing about with server paths etc over the last few weeks was a waste of time!

Richard

| Sun 27 Dec 2015 19:57:53 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Barry - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Turning the extn on makes no difference to file names, different set of files now admittedly
    I have a home network, obviously not going to share the name, but it has been changed from the windows default

Barry what do you see if you change the view to details (assuming you are using Windows 10, the file extensions should be visible.

| Sun 27 Dec 2015 20:08:40 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

Barry - 10 minutes ago  » 

I don't understand this Barry but when I view the "Recordings" folder on my FVP-4000T which is now mapped to drive Z: on both my PCs I see three files for each recording, a .ts a .hjm and a .nts.

The large data file of the three is actually an mpeg-ts but they are exactly the same icon for SD and HD recordings?

I assume that your screenshot is just a mapped drive opened in a Windows desktop? Which version of Windows please?

Richard

| Sun 27 Dec 2015 20:08:45 #18 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Graham still no extensions (Win 8.1)

Attachments

1. latest.jpg (115 KB, 3 downloads) 8 years old
    | Sun 27 Dec 2015 22:14:52 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member