My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

DTR-T2000 (Youview) vs. FVP-4000T (FV Playback)?

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bradavon

Apologises if this has been asked before. I can't find previous posts.

I'm considering replacing my Humax DTR-T2000 for the Humax FVP-4000T.

The Humax FVP-4000T looks to be more fully featured and now it has Netflix, Five OnDemand in the EPG and Remote Record it seems to have everything Youview offers.

Which is better? Which is more reliable?

Thanks

| Fri 28 Oct 2016 15:50:24 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bradavon

Has anyone got an opinion on this?

Especially around the reliability of both (I find my DTR-T2000 reliable). A marketing sheet can tell you the FVP-4000T can do more.

Also as forums tend to be full of people saying how bad something is but few comment if they have no problems.

Thanks

| Sat 29 Oct 2016 12:28:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

For a very long time I was looking to buy the fvp4000, but if you've read any reviews or this forum then you, like me, will be warned off the fvp4000. I recently bought the HDR-2000t (reconditioned with 1 year guarantee) for £89 from amazon. I love it and have since bought another one and recommended a friend to buy one too. So far no issues at all. If you want the catch up services you can always get a £15 Now TV box. That's what I use. I just use the HDR-2000t as a pvr, all the internet stuff doesn't matter to me. Hope that helps.

| Sat 29 Oct 2016 18:56:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bradavon

My concerns around user feedback though is that most hardware gets slated on forums (including the HDR-2000T).

It sounds like you're saying the FVP-4000T has got a lot more bad press?

I am a little concerned it's a "Version 1" product when the other Humax boxes have gone through several releases now.

I'm not so interested in the HDR-2000T though due to it's lack of Catch Up integration.

I'd only want to keep my DTR-T2000 or replace it for the FVP-4000T.

Thanks btw.

p.s. Why use a Now TV box when the HDR-2000T has Catch Up apps too?

| Sat 29 Oct 2016 19:14:33 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

First off, through my extensive research into the available boxes this is what I've found... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE PERFECT BOX.

The best you can get is what you find to have the design/ build/ reliability/ size of HD/ user interface/ EPG/ functionality/ buttons on the remote/ etc, that will work best for you and which of these features you're willing to forego in favour of others.

Just because certain machines say they perform certain tasks it doesn't necessarily mean they will do them well.

Just look on Amazon for the pages of 1 star ratings (do this for all machines), sort them by date, see if earlier issues have been fixed, see if the same complains over a year ago are still being complained about today.

Why do I use a nowtv box? In order to stream to the 2000t you need to buy a dongle, I already own a couple of nowtv boxes and they are super reliable and get bbc iplayer/ itv hub/ all4/ 5od. If you want netflix, buy a chromecast (I don't know if they do all the catch-up channels.

Perhaps clunky interface/ multiple button presses to perform simple tasks/ constant re-booting/ unrecorded programmes/ etc, is less of an issue to you than a Netfix button and a 1TB HD, in that case go for the fvp4000 and hope and pray that one day in the future they'll fix the myriad of problems without creating a whole host of new ones as seems to be a recurrent theme of the threads on this site.

Let me know what you decide.

| Sun 30 Oct 2016 11:55:11 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

To be honest I would never recommend youview in comparison to freeview+ or playback - to many options missing on youview, which I have covered numerous times see saliant points in FAQ

| Sun 30 Oct 2016 12:45:20 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Barry - 39 minutes ago  » 
    To be honest I would never recommend youview in comparison to freeview+ or playback - to many options missing on youview, which I have covered numerous times see saliant points in FAQ

I'm not sure that I would say 'never' but they are very different beasts

bradavon - 1 day ago  » 
    Which is more reliable?

Have you had a chance to look at Barry's salient points list?

One of the items on there is that the youview recorders don't have manual tuning. Where I live this is one of the key factors that means that the Humax youview recorders are not reliable at recording and can not be fixed by manual tuning as that is not an option on youview.

A couple of other of the salient points are

Manual timer scheduling - No
      Padding of timers - No

which means that if you watch/listen to dramas an documentaries on channels like BBC Radio 4, Drama and Yesterday then you have to be prepared for the endings to be frequently cut short and apart from also making an effort to record the next scheduled programme there is nothing else you can do about it.

| Sun 30 Oct 2016 13:45:03 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

The OP has already said he has the youview box and is happy with it.

He wants to know if the fvp4000 is a step-up and worth investing in.

I'd suggest sticking with what he has and buying the fvp4000 once all the problems are sorted out on it or perhaps see if Humax bring out a new box in the next year that satisfies all their customers desires and works flawlessly.

| Sun 30 Oct 2016 15:15:04 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bradavon

crashcris - 12 hours ago  » Why do I use a nowtv box? In order to stream to the 2000t you need to buy a dongle

You can't use iPlayer etc... without plugging in a dongle into the HDR-2000T?

Barry - 11 hours ago  » 

Freeview+ boxes don't have integrated Catch Up at all though. Which is rather excellent on Youview. I'd only want Youview or Freeview Play for this reason. It was a major reason I bought into Youview.

From that list:

Record on Demand content - No

Do any PVRs let you record content from the Internet though? Other than subscription content offered by BT or TalkTalk.

Luke - 10 hours ago  » 
    Have you had a chance to look at Barry's salient points list?
    One of the items on there is that the youview recorders don't have manual tuning.

Luckily I don't have this problem and found on my old Humax PVR-9200T I left it on Automatic Padding.

Although I agree there's lots that PVR could do my Youview PVR can't.

| Mon 31 Oct 2016 0:19:11 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

bradavon

crashcris - 9 hours ago  » 
    The OP has already said he has the youview box and is happy with it.
    He wants to know if the fvp4000 is a step-up and worth investing in.
    I'd suggest sticking with what he has and buying the fvp4000 once all the problems are sorted out on it or perhaps see if Humax bring out a new box in the next year that satisfies all their customers desires and works flawlessly.

Yes I'm happy with it but have known since I switched from my old Humax PVR there's lots I can no longer do.

Like earlier whilst recording something I was also watching it Live and couldn't even Rewind past the point I'd switched over to that channel. Despite it being recorded in full. You have to go into the Recordings menu to go back to the start of the programme.

I am leaning towards sticking with my Humax DTR-T2000 Youview and waiting for Humax's "Version 2" Freeview Play PVR. Which will hopefully come out some time next year.

I could live without Youview's Universal Search.

You never know if BT buys Youview it may mean software upgrades come out quicker. The platform seems to have all but halted. It doesn't even have a Youtube app :-/

| Mon 31 Oct 2016 0:33:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.