My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Edge: Cast media to device

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dai

I am trying to use the Cast Media to Device option in the Edge Browser to cast video from a browser tab to my Humax HDR-1100S. When selecting the option, the Humax device is shown and I can select it and it shows that it is casting. However, on the Humax device when I select the Humax option and then Media Share and then select the computer name from the Shared Server List it shows four options: Music, Pictures, Playlists, Videos and there is not an option to select casting from the computer.

Am I missing an option somewhere to actually show the cast?

I am using Windows 10 with the Edge Browser. The Humax is HDR-1100S and the Humax and PC both have a wired connection to my LAN.

| Mon 5 Oct 2020 11:17:39 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Welcome to our Forum

Create 3 folders on your PC Music Pictures Videos. Right click on each one in Windows File Explorer - Choose properties and the share tab Click on Share. This allows Windows Media Player to show these files to your G2 box

Depending on what the files contain copy the files you want to stream to your G2 Freesat to the appropriate folders.

Start Windows Media Player - Click on organise and Manage Libraries and add the 4 folders to Windows Media Player. Windows media player is a dlna server.

Your G2 box has a DLNA client it can stream say videos from Windows Media player.

Using the Freesat Remote. Press Home and scroll up to Humax and press OK. Select Media Share and press OK. Select say all videos. You should see a list of video files you can play.

| Mon 5 Oct 2020 11:48:42 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dai

grahamlthompson - 46 mins ago  » 
    Welcome to our Forum
    Create 3 folders on your PC Music Pictures Videos. Right click on each one in Windows File Explorer - Choose properties and the share tab Click on Share. This allows Windows Media Player to show these files to your G2 box
    Depending on what the files contain copy the files you want to stream to your G2 Freesat to the appropriate folders.
    Start Windows Media Player - Click on organise and Manage Libraries and add the 4 folders to Windows Media Player. Windows media player is a dlna server.
    Your G2 box has a DLNA client it can stream say videos from Windows Media player.
    Using the Freesat Remote. Press Home and scroll up to Humax and press OK. Select Media Share and press OK. Select say all videos. You should see a list of video files you can play.

Thanks for the reply. However, I am trying to use the Cast Media to Device feature from the Edge browser in order to cast video from an Edge browser tab rather than files on the computer via Windows Media Player.

| Mon 5 Oct 2020 12:37:53 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Dai - 14 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 46 mins ago  » 
    Welcome to our Forum

Thanks for the reply. However, I am trying to use the Cast Media to Device feature from the Edge browser in order to cast video from an Edge browser tab rather than files on the computer via Windows Media Player.

The cast menu option is broken on Edge. So can't even check if the Humax client can be found.

https://www.howtogeek.com/233663/how-to-cast-websites-to-your-tv-from-microsoft-edge/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/forum/all/cast-to-media-device-disappeared/ee59f680-267d-4a6c-8415-d5130c977c87

I will see if I can find a browser for my phone that supports casting.

It will only work for non protected content so don't expect a source like netflix to work.

Youtube content should be OK.

| Mon 5 Oct 2020 13:08:18 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Looking like the only way you will be able to get this to work is connect a chrome cast to your TV and use something like all cast on a android mobile device.

All cast on my phone can't see the G2 client but can see a chromecast device.

Going to try installing edge on my phone.

| Mon 5 Oct 2020 13:26:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dai

grahamlthompson - 5 mins ago  » 
    Looking like the only way you will be able to get this to work is connect a chrome cast to your TV and use something like all cast on a android mobile device.
    All cast on my phone can't see the G2 client but can see a chromecast device.
    Going to try installing edge on my phone.

Thanks for the update. From the PC I can get the Cast option and it shows the Humax and when I select this device it indicates that it is casting. So it looks as if it's working from the PC, it's just the Humax menu can't see it. I'm not sure what I should be expecting to see in the Media menu on the Humax, to select.

| Mon 5 Oct 2020 13:34:22 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

What are you trying to cast ?

It's casting a Youtube Movie trailer for the new Bond Movie to my HDR-1000S from edge installed on my phone. You don't have to do anything other than select the Freesat box from the little screen icon in edge.

| Mon 5 Oct 2020 13:42:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dai

I managed to select the Freesat box from the cast option on Edge and as far as Edge is concerned it looks as if it is casting. I just can't get it to show anything on the Humax. I went into Humax -> Media Share -> then selected my PC (the device with edge that is casting) but can't get any further. When you cast Youtube to your HDR-1000S from edge on your phone, how did you get it to play on your Freesat box?

| Mon 5 Oct 2020 13:55:57 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Dai - 5 mins ago  » 
    I managed to select the Freesat box from the cast option on Edge and as far as Edge is concerned it looks as if it is casting. I just can't get it to show anything on the Humax. I went into Humax -> Media Share -> then selected my PC (the device with edge that is casting) but can't get any further. When you cast Youtube to your HDR-1000S from edge on your phone, how did you get it to play on your Freesat box?

I just opened the YouTube website after searching for youtube. Selected a video and played it back. While playing the video click on the little TV icon and select the FSxxxx device. The Freesat box transfers the video stream to itself. You don't need to do anything on the freesat box. It also offers my chromecast device as an alternative destination

| Mon 5 Oct 2020 14:06:18 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dai

I have just tried it again and when I click on the FSxxxx device on the Cast Media feature on Edge, the Humax Freesat box came up with a message that said, "Transferring to YouTube.com" and then it displayed a screen that looked like thumbnails except they were all just blank grey. No video stream.

| Mon 5 Oct 2020 14:42:37 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.