My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Edimax Dongle seen but no network connection ?

(32 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

aec6612 - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Nope - no joy !

So which protocol did you choose? Does trying the alternate help? This may all be a red herring but somebody (but not necessarily with the same type of router) claimed it worked for them.

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 20:08:36 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

David T

Hi, I'm no techie like some of these guys, but have you tested the Edimax in something else, like a laptop?

And word of encouragement, I've got the same box, and the same dongle and they do work together.

Another thought does your router have any kind of "handshaking" button, whereby it has to be pressed which then allows a few minutes to connect a new device?

| Wed 28 Nov 2012 0:26:22 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

David T

By same box, I meant Humax box, BTW

| Wed 28 Nov 2012 22:33:57 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

weebster

Hi

I'm having exactly the same problem with my new (delivered today) EW-7711UAn dongle on firmware V 1.0.29. I have had the box connected to the LAN for over 2 years with an excellent network connection, but have just moved the box and now need to connect via wifi. Could Edimax have changed the chipset as 2 users are unable to detect any wifi signal, and both within days of each other, whilst this problem doesn't seem to exisit on older postings?

| Sat 1 Dec 2012 0:04:04 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

weebster - 1 hour ago  » 
    Could Edimax have changed the chipset as 2 users are unable to detect any wifi signal, and both within days of each other, whilst this problem doesn't seem to exisit on older postings?

Clearly it is possible. Did it come with a driver disk? If so are the drivers the same as Edimax website (in which case it is probably the same chipset as previously) or different?

| Sat 1 Dec 2012 1:23:53 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

weebster

Mmm interesting. I have connected the EW-7711UAn to a windows 7 64 bit PC and an XP 32 bit PC and tried both the wireless zero configuratiion and the edimax connection software. The device installs and displays an icon in the task bar, but the device reports that there are no wireless networks within range - exactly the same report as with the Fox T2. I have consulted the Edimax site which reports a problem with Kaspersky. I have disabled the 'self defense' reinstalled the driver and re-enabled self defense as advised, to no avail. With all my other network wireless devices, I have access to several SSIDs both on my network and at adjacent properties. A dodgy dongle or am I overlooking something simple?

| Sat 1 Dec 2012 9:31:06 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

moosey

weebster - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi
    I'm having exactly the same problem with my new (delivered today) EW-7711UAn dongle on firmware V 1.0.29. I have had the box connected to the LAN for over 2 years with an excellent network connection, but have just moved the box and now need to connect via wifi. Could Edimax have changed the chipset as 2 users are unable to detect any wifi signal, and both within days of each other, whilst this problem doesn't seem to exisit on older postings?

Hi,

I purchased the Edimax EW-7711UTn a couple of weeks ago from an Ebay vendor and it works fine with my HDR-T2, so it might just be a few dodgy dongles about. It appears as if the design is still compatible with the Humax, at least from my limited experience.

Cheers,

Peter

| Sun 2 Dec 2012 21:29:06 #17 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

In an effort to help I ordered both the Edimax EW-7711UAN and the Edimax EW-7711UMn.

The UAN variant turned up today, and I can only confirm what others are stating in that it will not detect networks, even a guest one I set up on superhub with no security. Note only tested on and HDR T2, seems to be no point in trying the HDR 1000S.

Same results as weebster when trying on computers as well, so something has changed.

Have sent Edimax the results or all my tests and waiting to see if they respond.

| Mon 3 Dec 2012 17:32:15 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

moosey

Hi Barry,

When you say "Same results as weebster when trying on computers as well, so something has changed" does that mean you can't get the dongle to work at all, either on the Humax or on a PC? If you can't get it to work on a PC then surely this points to a faulty dongle (or even a whole batch of them!) rather than any basic design change. If it doesn't work on a PC as it is intended to do then surely it must be faulty.

Unfortunately, with mass produced cheap electronic items nowadays its less expensive for the manufacturer to NOT test their products and instead put money into refunds/replacements when the end user (that us) finds a faulty one.

Cheers,

Peter

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 8:40:59 #19 |
  10. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Exactly Peter cannot get it to find any networks via PC or a HDR T2.

I agree that it being faulty is the likely cause.

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 9:28:23 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.