My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Edimax Dongle seen but no network connection ?

(32 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

weebster

Hi all

Many thanks for your input and help (especially Barry) with this matter. I have just returned from a week in China this evening, but was following the posts, whilst away.

I was in e-mail contact with Arnis Kakitis at Edimax Tech Support on a daily basis from Monday through Thursday. He was most helpful and a quick responder, and concluded that my unit was faulty. I was somewhat sceptical as Barry and others had experienced the same problem as me. Anyway, I ordered another EW-7711UAN from the same Amazon supplier from which I purchased the first. The dongle arrived whilst I was away so I tried it this evening, not expecting much in the way of success. I have been pleasantly surprised, the new dongle works with the PC in wireless zero (driver only) and with the Edimax connection software, and it also found all the SSIDs available to my other wireless network devices, and connected straight away with the HDR FOX T2.

Clearly there is a problem with some of the dongles, although Arnis did advise that Edimax were not aware of any customer complaints concerning this matter.

Neil

| Sat 8 Dec 2012 22:01:55 #21 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Neil, thank you for the feedback, it is looking more and more likely that there are a few duff ones out there, bad batch?

| Sun 9 Dec 2012 9:45:09 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

robinbowes

I had the same problem as documented in this topic.

I've returned the EW-7711UAN for a refund (they didn't offer an exchange) and ordered a new one.

Let's hope I have more luck with the new one.

R.

| Tue 18 Dec 2012 17:48:22 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Telstar

Me too. I ordered this very same dongle from Amazon, hoping to use it on my HDR-FOX-T2. It arrived this morning.

It couldn't find any WiFi networks at all, either when attached to the Humax box or on a Windows laptop.

Already on its way back to Amazon now, for a refund. You win some, you lose some...

| Thu 12 Sep 2013 15:02:15 #24 |
  5. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

There has been a suggestion from some users that 'new' Edimax 7711 dongles don't work on the Humax. The possible theory is that they changed the chip set, here is the quote :- "Edimax - EW - 7711 USB Dongles with a 'Win8' logo on the box are reported NOT to work with the Humax". Maybe users could comment on this

| Sun 15 Sep 2013 18:39:26 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

PeterR

I purchased an HDR-FOX-T2 last week, together with an Edimax EW-7711UAn, and I too can not get the wireless to detect any networks. The HDR recognised that there was a wireless dongle connected (i.e.the wireless option was not greyed out) but it could not detect my, or my neighbours, wireless networks.

The box that my EW-7711 came in had an added sticker saying 'support Windows 8'

The dongle did work with my PC when I loaded the driver, so I don't think it is faulty - just not compatible with the HDR.

| Thu 19 Sep 2013 21:24:58 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

unloveablesteve

I have had the same problem as described above, although my Edimax EW-711Uan is in a box that claims Windows 7 report (not the Windows 8 sticker).

The dongle will plug into my laptop and find my wireless network (Sky Broadband) but the Hummy can't see it. If I add the details manually, it still doesn't connect. Has anyone seen a solution posted anywhere?

| Fri 20 Sep 2013 0:33:07 #27 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Only solution I am aware of is to get a replacement dongle and hope this one works.

| Fri 20 Sep 2013 9:12:33 #28 |
  9. LokiUK

LokiUK

I also purchased an Edimax dongle of this type, and not only did it not work as others have described, but my attempts to configure it on my Mac using the software provided seemed to install some very bad juju onto my Mac which took weeks to track down and uninstall.

The dongle is currently residing at the bottom of a landfill somewhere, and I'm the proud owner of some TP Link powerlne adapters which are infinitely more reliable and speedy than any wifi I've ever tried.

So that's my alternative solution

| Fri 18 Oct 2013 14:32:21 #29 |
  10. athomson

athomson

special member

I agree with LokiUK that powerlne adapters are much more reliable than WiFi for streaming. I bought a pair of Comtrend ones some years ago on a deal and in a new build with new wiring they give a constant speed over double 802.11b top speed. I could not use iPlayer and YouTube on the T2 without them.

Andy

| Sat 19 Oct 2013 13:45:53 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.