My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Edit Proms Recordings from BBC R3

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pigolato

GrahamRHK - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have tried to replicate this scenario by recording from Radio 3. My FVP5000t saves the usual 4 files, the main one being a .ts file (transport stream) which contains the audio data. The others are .hjm, .hjtsm, .nts as with video recordings There is no mp3 file. I tried to open the .ts with VLC and convert it but that fails. VLC can play SD video files that I have extracted. And of course will not play HD files as they are encrypted. I wonder if radio recording files are also encrypted to appear as HD. (I realise that all files on the FVP are encrypted but SD are decrypted on copy whereas HD are not). Anyone know any more?

I have just tried exporting an audio file to a USB stick, and putting that into my PC.
    I also get the four files as above, but if I double click on the .ts file, it plays in Windows Media Player (at normal speed). I can also open the file in Audacity, and apart from a long silence at the beginning of the recording, it plays at normal speed.
    My PC is running Windows 7 Pro.

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 14:38:42 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

I think I have solved it. It seems that using FTP or SMB to transfer files to PC does not decrypt - but copying to USB stick on the FVP5000T does decrypt (slow operation though!). The files on the stick, perversely, are hidden when connected to my mac but once revealed will play normally and VLC will convert the .ts file to mp3. What on earth are the FTP and SMB servers for?????

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 16:11:29 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

GrahamRHK - 2 hours ago  » 
    I think I have solved it. It seems that using FTP or SMB to transfer files to PC does not decrypt - but copying to USB stick on the FVP5000T does decrypt (slow operation though!). The files on the stick, perversely, are hidden when connected to my mac but once revealed will play normally and VLC will convert the .ts file to mp3. What on earth are the FTP and SMB servers for?????

You are probably right. Although, I think the problem with radio recordings could be more complex. IF, as I suspect (I can't check because I can't get SAMBA to work for me) the Humax is displaying a radio recording as .mp3 when it really is .ts then that could be the cause of the problem. If I try and play a decrypted radio .ts file with vlc - it works. If I rename the .ts to .mp3, vlc doesn't work. You can't do anything about it if you try to play (on your pc) directly from the Humax drive. If you copy the ".mp3" radio file to your pc and rename it as .ts - it might play. Alternatively, ffmpeg is clever enough to convert a wrongly suffixed .ts file to an .mp2, so you could do something like:
    ffmpeg -i "<humax disk>something.mp3" -acodec copy -vn "<pc disk>something.mp2" and it should work (the mp3 file really being a ts file). If that works, you can further edit or convert the mp2 file.

The ftp server is to allow you to put video/audio/photo files onto your Humax. If you know what you are doing the DLNA server can be used to download SD and radio much quicker than trying to use a USB drive. As I can't use the SAMBA server, I can't comment on what use it is!

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 18:30:29 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

GrahamRHK - 6 hours ago  » 
    I think I have solved it. It seems that using FTP or SMB to transfer files to PC does not decrypt.

Correct; however if you have a Windows 8 or later PC and follow Barry's FAQ posting https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/file-transfer and look for the FV-4000T Media Server then you will get decrypted SD recordings. I suspect it uses some mechanism that combines SAMBA and DLNA but I have nver gotten round to researching exactly what is going on. As I currently can't download the image from the FAQ I have added an old copy to this post.

Attachments

1. network_locations.jpg (18.7 KB, 1 downloads) 4 years old
    | Wed 15 Jan 2020 22:44:10 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardR

If I change a file's mp3 extension to mp2 it plays in VLC but not in Audacity.
    If I change to ts it plays in the Films and TV app and VLC but Audacity does not import or open it.

| Wed 22 Jan 2020 22:19:01 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RichardR - 38 mins ago  » 
    If I change a file's mp3 extension to mp2 it plays in VLC but not in Audacity.
    If I change to ts it plays in the Films and TV app and VLC but Audacity does not import or open it.

open the file in vlc and use VLC's convert files option to create a .mp3 (mpeg1 layer 3 file). VLC can convert both audio and video compression codecs.

Despite the file extension the audio contained is not mp3 (mpeg 1 layer 3 but mpeg1 layer 2).

Video files from HD Humax boxes have a .ts container (transport stream). The video for HD recordings is actually .M2ts a format used for blu-ray disc, for SD recordings it's mpeg2 (used for DVD discs).

You need to understand the difference between the container and the actual codecs combined in the container for Video, Audio, Subtitles, Audio description etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

The letters and numbers after the dot can include lots of different digital compression codecs.

Simple example xxxx.mp4 may or may not have video content compressed using the mpeg4 video compression codec.

The conversion of the audio container is very simple and lossless. Look up the difference between container and the contained audio and video contained.

https://www.vlchelp.com/convert-video-audio-mp3/

| Wed 22 Jan 2020 23:04:55 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardR

open the file in vlc and use VLC's convert files option to create a .mp3 (mpeg1 layer 3 file). VLC can convert both audio and video compression codecs.

Thanks graham, that's really helpful. vlc is working through my files now.

| Sat 25 Jan 2020 14:06:15 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RichardR - 1 day ago  » 

Thanks graham, that's really helpful. vlc is working through my files now.

I take it the converted files have resolved the problem ?

| Sun 26 Jan 2020 22:09:19 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardR

I take it the converted files have resolved the problem ?

Yes Graham. I have been able to edit the files and play them from the NAS drive using the TV, which was the aim.
    Thanks for yours and others contributions.

| Tue 28 Jan 2020 20:24:52 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.