My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Edit Proms Recordings from BBC R3

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardR

After recording a TV broadcast that I wish to keep, I 'top and tail' it using VideoRedo and move it to a NAS drive. After unexpectedly capturing radio broadcasts on the series record I would like to do the same thing with these MP3 files by removing the start and finish so that I'm left with the performance and a bit of applause.
    When I import the file into Audacity it seems to play at the wrong speed. I tried slowing it by 50% but it still sounds very high-pitched. Am I doing this right?

| Fri 10 Jan 2020 22:15:16 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

RichardR - 22 hours ago  » 
    After recording a TV broadcast that I wish to keep, I 'top and tail' it ... I would like to do the same thing with these MP3 files

Although the file extensions of the exported radio recordings is "MP3", the exported audio recordings are not MP3. Some devices and softwares will play them despite the misleading file extension of MP3.

If you have converted them to MP3 then they may have got corrupted during that process.

If you have not converted the exported files to MP3 then for the Audacity route see
    https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=100345#p349296

| Sat 11 Jan 2020 20:59:03 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardR

Thanks Luke. I downloaded and installed FFmpeg and confirmed that Audacity found it by looking at Preferences. I imported one of the radio recordings to Audacity and exported it as audio MP3. I closed the original file and opened the exported one. It still sounds like gobbledegook.

| Sun 12 Jan 2020 18:16:09 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

If you copy the radio recording to your computer (without editing) does it play properly? If so, you might be able to use mp3DirectCut (https://mpesch3.de/index.html) which will work on mp2 files (what most radio broadcasts actually are) and doesn't recode them.

| Mon 13 Jan 2020 16:43:28 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

RichardR - 1 day ago  » 
    I imported one of the radio recordings to Audacity

Before you imported it into Audacity did you change the file extension from 'MP3' to 'MP2'?

| Mon 13 Jan 2020 18:45:04 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardR

No, why would I do that?

| Mon 13 Jan 2020 21:04:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

RichardR - 16 hours ago  » 
    No, why would I do that?

Because if you did it could resolve your issue.
    The exported files are not MP3 files and leaving the extension as MP3 can cause issues with some software.
    Renaming the extension to "MP2" could fix your issues, and if that doesn't correct Audacity's play back then try "TS".

| Tue 14 Jan 2020 13:49:26 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardR

Thanks Luke. I'll try that at the weekend.

| Tue 14 Jan 2020 21:12:33 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

I have tried to replicate this scenario by recording from Radio 3. My FVP5000t saves the usual 4 files, the main one being a .ts file (transport stream) which contains the audio data. The others are .hjm, .hjtsm, .nts as with video recordings There is no mp3 file. I tried to open the .ts with VLC and convert it but that fails. VLC can play SD video files that I have extracted. And of course will not play HD files as they are encrypted. I wonder if radio recording files are also encrypted to appear as HD. (I realise that all files on the FVP are encrypted but SD are decrypted on copy whereas HD are not). Anyone know any more?

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 12:55:18 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Just a thought (I don't have a pc at the moment to check) but I recall a couple of things.
    First, I think that I remember there was an option for Windows to automatically convert some files types when you import them. Perhaps this is happening without you realising?
    Second, have you got Windows set to display the FULL filename? I ask this because, if it's hidden you may(?) after editing end up with a file that is called xxxxxx.ts.mp3, or something like that.

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 13:30:31 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.