My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

EE 4G WiFi Home broadband problems

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DrBigB

Hi

Because of a slow FTTC broadband connection (PlusNet) I recently switched to EE 4G WiFi Home broadband. This produces a far superior internet connection speed.

However, since changing to 4G broadband, the on-demand services on my HDR-1100S are not working. I reconnected to FTTC broadband again, and all is fine. I have also checked my home network and no faults found. I am using a wired connection which is working fine. I have checked Netflix settings, and it passes all tests. I have the latest firmware.

The apps themselves usually load fine, but once I attempt to stream the apps hang. 5-OD even crashes the set top box so I have to cut power.

It therefore appears there is a compatibility issue using EE 4G home broadband, and the HDR-1100S.

The strange thing is that Netflix, iPlayer, 5-OD etc. all work fine on my Samsung smart TV, and when ran through a browser on computer.

Does anyone have any suggestion what's happening. 4G broadband is going to become more common, so I suspect this could be cropping up in future.

If anyone else has their HDR-1100S working fine with EE 4G boradband, I would like to know.

Thanks

| Fri 20 Apr 2018 13:56:10 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwb

Have you gone into Settings->Network Connection and selected Connect Automatically?

| Fri 20 Apr 2018 20:15:55 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Check that HDR-1100S has acquired a IP address and settings from the new router and is not using a unexpired lease from the old.

Note the IP and check you can ping it from your PC.

| Sat 21 Apr 2018 5:42:25 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

DrBigB

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I have ensured my network is functioning normally.

I have even tried connecting through a VPN but the app developers block this as many use this option to connect from outside the UK.

I think it is probably caused by the Carrier grade NAT used on 4G networks. Strange that my Smart TV and PC's apps, and other options such as Roku, function normally though.

After doing further research this is a known issue on EE forum. It also affects a few other devices, but others have had the same problem with HUMAX devices on the EE 4G home broadband service.

Those affected, like myself, will have to just hope that Humax and the app developers will take note that 4G broadband is becoming more popular as it does provide far superior broadband for many households in the UK. The costs are also coming down.

It's a pity the Humax has this problem as it is a great device, as long as you don't use 4G!

Any more suggestions would be welcome.

| Sun 22 Apr 2018 11:26:04 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would have thought that NAT would be handled at the router and be transparent to the HDR-1000S which I think uses standard Linux networking like other Humax units.

It would be interesting to monitor the traffic from the HDR-1000S and the server responses.

Just as an experiment what happens if you place the HDR-1000S in a DMZ?

| Mon 23 Apr 2018 6:40:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

DrBigB

The router I use is that supplied by EE, and so it has limited functionality.

https://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/home-broadband/4gee-router

However it does have a DMZ option. I gave the HDR-1100S as static IP address and assigned it to the DMZ. Unfortunately, it did not result in any improvement.

I have limited experience of using wire shark, but I have not attempted to use it as I anticipate I would struggle to understand the date it generates.

| Mon 23 Apr 2018 7:03:00 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwb

If you go to Settings->System information->Network info what does it show?

| Mon 23 Apr 2018 10:04:21 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

What is in NAT > NAT Mapping Table?

| Mon 23 Apr 2018 10:28:02 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

DrBigB

I am not at home at the moment but I have set to

IP address 192.168.1.20
    sub net 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.254
    dns 208.67.222.222
    dns2 208.67.220.220

DNS servers are ran by OpenDNS and work fine.

I cannot view NAT tables. No port forwarding has been used.

I can load iplayer and netflix and view program titles.

iPlayer often works for a while, after I have switched machine off and on. However, once I have attempted to stream netflix it hangs that app and also iplayer.

Any attempt to stream 5OD crashed the machine and it has to be switched off and on to reset.

The machine works fine with landline broadband.

I managed to get netflix streaming via a VPN, which seems to indicate it is a network issue. Unfortunately iplayer would not work via VPN and the bandwidth was low so picture quality was not good.

| Mon 23 Apr 2018 11:32:00 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwb

Usually when the router is configured via DHCP, I would expect DNS to be the address of the router.

| Mon 23 Apr 2018 11:41:27 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.