My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Enc symbol on BBC music radio station recordings

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bletologist

I've noticed the Enc symbol has recently started to appear on recordings from BBC radio stations. It seems to have begun sometime this week and only applies to recordings from Radio 3 or 6Music. It doesn't happen with recordings from Radio 4 or 4 Extra.

I've got two boxes, HDR-FOX T2 and the HDR-200T, and it's happening on both of them. The earliest example I can find started recording at 22:58 on 13th August. Oddly the next recording starting at 19:28 the next day is not encrypted but all recordings after that from Radio 3 or 6Music have the Enc symbol. I wondered if this might be a copyright issue for BBC music stations and made a few live recordings and it also applies to Radio 1, Radio 1xtra, Radio 2 and Asian Network but not to Radio 5 live Sport.

Has anyone any idea what's causing this or how to stop it?

| Sun 19 Aug 2018 14:24:28 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The broadcaster indicates this on the programme EPG data.
    If the flag is set the unit will encrypt it.

| Sun 19 Aug 2018 15:21:44 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bletologist

Where is that on the EPG? All it has is S for stereo (if it is).

| Sun 19 Aug 2018 15:38:27 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bletologist - 32 minutes ago  » 
    Where is that on the EPG? All it has is S for stereo (if it is).

It's in the data stream, you can't see it. If you copy the recording to USB it may decrypt them as it does for SD TV.

| Sun 19 Aug 2018 16:11:54 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bletologist

The ones I've tried so far can be copied to USB but they are not decrypted. After the copy is finished an extra symbol appears in the media list on both the HDD and the USB next to the Enc which is a CD with a red cross on it which I assume means it hasn't been encrypted and won't play on other devices.

What is baffling is why this has suddenly started to happen in the last few days. Presumably it's something the BBC have changed.

| Sun 19 Aug 2018 16:30:01 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bletologist - 18 minutes ago  » 
    The ones I've tried so far can be copied to USB but they are not decrypted. After the copy is finished an extra symbol appears in the media list on both the HDD and the USB next to the Enc which is a CD with a red cross on it which I assume means it hasn't been encrypted and won't play on other devices.
    What is baffling is why this has suddenly started to happen in the last few days. Presumably it's something the BBC have changed.

The red cross usually means it has used up a copy once option.

Easy to check

Download MediaInfo

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Open one of the files, if it opens it's not encrypted. Select View - Tree to see everything about the file.

| Sun 19 Aug 2018 16:51:37 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

slavedata

I have been recording the proms then downloading to a pc and playing with VLC or windows media player. The last couple of files I have downloaded (not the first with the encryption symbol) won't play. So the BBC has obviously implemented some copy protection. The file will play direct on the Humax box

| Sun 19 Aug 2018 17:02:20 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

slavedata - 3 hours ago  » 
    So the BBC has obviously implemented some copy protection.

When this was happining to some of the BBC SD TV's broadcasts in the first half of 2016 the conclusion was that it was by accident.

| Sun 19 Aug 2018 20:59:09 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Luke - 20 minutes ago  » 
    When this was happining to some of the BBC SD TV's broadcasts in the first half of 2016 the conclusion was that it was by accident.

Yup. I think the way forward is for the OP to raise a complaint with the BBC via their web site.

| Sun 19 Aug 2018 21:20:15 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bletologist

Thanks for the comments. I don't remember having any problems with SD TV recordings in 2016 but this doesn't seem accidental as it's been applied to music channels only and not to speech channels. I think I'll just give up on the Humax to record radio music programmes. I certainly won't be complaining in case they start applying it to SD TV again.

| Sun 19 Aug 2018 22:20:34 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.