My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

est type f plug for Humax HDR FOX T2

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kev

I carried out some renovations recently, and I had new aerial cable installed, I think it was RG6.

Anyway the F connector that goes from my aerial cable into the Humax signal IN slots ‘wobbles a little. While I can receive strong signals from main stations the smaller stations like Drama suffer from breakup, recording is also hit and miss

Can you advise me if there are different sizes/thickness of F connectors (is that the correct term) for the one I have seems very light and thin in comparison to the lead going from the Humax into my TV or is it that the Humax aerial IN socket expanded over time it’s years and years since I bought it

| Tue 20 Jul 2021 1:05:35 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Something wrong here. The HDR-FOX-T2 is a terrestrial box and the RF connections are Belling Lee not f type.

However screw on F connectors have to a tight fit on the coax outer.

The thinnest cable (and the smallest connectors) is WF-65. Sky use shotgun WF-65 which is two single cables joined.

The best cable is WF100 which is much thicker. To connect a f terminated cable to a HDR FOX-T2 you need a F to Belling Lee adaptor. (Male type for the rF in socket)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-coax-male-to-f-plug-male-adaptor-10-pack/39772

| Tue 20 Jul 2021 9:18:01 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Sounds like Kev has the wrong name as he is talking about the plug already in use. The F type cannot be used with terrestrial (ie. Freeview) boxes, so it must be Belling Lee.

If it is loose, it may help to gently squeeze the two halves of the centre pin part of the connector on the box, using a small pair of pliers.

| Tue 20 Jul 2021 10:18:46 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A1944 - 47 mins ago  » 
    Sounds like Kev has the wrong name as he is talking about the plug already in use. The F type cannot be used with terrestrial (ie. Freeview) boxes, so it must be Belling Lee.
    If it is loose, it may help to gently squeeze the two halves of the centre pin part of the connector on the box, using a small pair of pliers.

There is lots of kit used for terrestrial that uses F connectors. These include mast head amps, splitters etc. I even have a FVP recording box with multiple tuners that has a f type RF in. Both the ancient belling lees and F type are standard 75 ohm impedance and are superior in performance to Belling Lee connectors.

It's an ancient connector dating from the 1920's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belling-Lee_connector

The best uhf for most is a log periodic. They use a f connector with the coax connection up the square boom terminating in a F connected matching balun

eg

https://www.toolstation.com/proception-wideband-tv-satellite-splitter/p66100?searchstr=TV%20Splitter

| Tue 20 Jul 2021 11:10:56 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

I don’t doubt that a number of accessories like spltters use F connectors, but very few terrestrial recording boxes, though you have one of the exceptions. I was unaware of any FVP boxes apart from the 4000T and 5000T.

| Tue 20 Jul 2021 11:19:08 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.