My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

External speakers "crackling" and sparking from HD

(1 post)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Robert1007

Evening all, previously posted a problem under topic "HDMI stopped working". Things have moved on considerably and looking for advice as it would appear that my initial problem has escalated.

Ok, for the last 2.5 years I have had a 1010s 1tb through a Optoma projector and Samsung ht-thq22 home cinema system and has worked flawlessly. In fact so good tv was sold and set up became everyday set.

Went on holiday for just over 2 weeks in October 2015, system was not used, returned on a Thursday and suddenly on the Saturday Humax 1010s refused to output from HDMI to projector whereas SCART output still worked, as mentioned in previous posted topic the Humax was recording when the fault occurred, I only mention this as it gets mentioned on previous problem postings.

As I say no HDMI output from Humax 1010s but SCART and video out were both working.

Humax 1010s returned via retailer to Humax under extended warranty. Box came back from Humax as a "no fix" due to faulty motherboards. In the meantime retailer gave me a 1100s as a loan box, everything worked fine but noticed a crackling and popping from external audio system, Samsung ht-thq25 on all channels and not just HD channels and also streaming content from a NAS. Also noticed HDMI lead was sparking to HDMI port on 1100s.

Last night HDMI output of 1100s on loan also gave up the ghost, crackling and popping audio was getting more and more prevalent and then it finally went, however video output still worked.....but no HDMI output.

Ok, today picked up replacement 1100s and decided to try a different approach. Old HDMI cable was approximately 15ft long and is buried inside wall and through ceiling to get to Optoma projector, bearing in mind the sparking/arching has suddenly started I figured that this must be the cause and assumed that the cable had been damaged in the cavity/ceiling (having worked perfectly for the last 2.5 years), connected a newish HDMI cable (not a cheap one) directly from the 1100s to the Optoma projector without going through any walls/ceilings. Connected Samsung hit-thq25 home cinema system to the Humax 1100s and switched the whole system on........guess what..........still crackling/popping through audio set up, immediately switched everything off as I can't afford for a new Humax box to "get fried".

Disconnected the Samsung hit-thq25 from the Humax 1100s box and played on normal audio output from the Optoma (which as anyone will know is awful beyond terrible).

What I can't understand is why after 2.5 years of flawless service the Samsung home cinema system appears to be frying any Humax satellite box it's attached to. I have spent hours on the net, seen the problems that some have experienced with various HD channels and audio and also seen comments on the system needing "grounding/earthing" but what I can't understand is why after 2.5 years things would change ?.

Just to add, when I hook the Samsung hit-thq25 to an old Sky HD box it doesn't crackle/pop, same when it's connected to a wireless squeezebox system so on that basis it appears that the fault occurs only when used in conjunction with a Humax satellite box.........having previously worked perfectly for the last 2.5 years.

Any comments/advice will be greatly appreciated.

| Tue 17 Nov 2015 21:58:23 #1 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.