My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Failed recordings

(25 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

I agree 100% with Grahams comments above.
    I would just like to add that I find the easiest way to remove all stored channels is to run an auto search with the aerial removed. This clears the way to perform a clean manual tune on the selected transmitter.

| Mon 21 Mar 2016 11:43:59 #21 |
  2. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

grahamlthompson - 17 hours ago  » 

Stephenesque - 4 hours ago  » 

A splitter should have given you a better result than loop-thru so that deepens the mystery. I use a passive splitter on my 2000T with excellent results.

With the splitter I had signal strengths of 1-70%; 2-67%; and 3 was only 48%.
    After I connected my 4000T directly, my signal strengths increased to 1-84%; 2-85% and 3-78%

Signal strength has no effect on the picture when digital modulation is involved, unless it falls so low the built in error correction cannot cope. The effect in this case is obvious (the picture breaks up into a pixellated mess, and the signal quality varies dramatically) . The signal quality is the important number. A quality of 100% means that none of the built in error correction is required to produce a perfect picture.
    The general accepted figure for the ideal signal strength (metering varies with individual box models) is reckoned to be about 60%. This avoids problems with sensitive tuners not bein able to cope with high signal levels, where clipping the peaks of the analogue carrier can produce distortion of the output signal. In this case high levels of signal actually look low, down to the distortion produced by the signal clipping.

I can't explain it then, as with and without the splitter my notes show that my signal quality was 100%.

All I do know is that when I used the splitter, I had a score of unwatchable and failed recordings in a week.

Since I removed the splitter and looped through to the TV I have had none in 3 months.

| Mon 21 Mar 2016 14:16:10 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Stephenesque - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 17 hours ago  » 

Stephenesque - 4 hours ago  » 

A splitter should have given you a better result than loop-thru so that deepens the mystery. I use a passive splitter on my 2000T with excellent results.

With the splitter I had signal strengths of 1-70%; 2-67%; and 3 was only 48%.
    After I connected my 4000T directly, my signal strengths increased to 1-84%; 2-85% and 3-78%

Signal strength has no effect on the picture when digital modulation is involved, unless it falls so low the built in error correction cannot cope. The effect in this case is obvious (the picture breaks up into a pixellated mess, and the signal quality varies dramatically) . The signal quality is the important number. A quality of 100% means that none of the built in error correction is required to produce a perfect picture.
    The general accepted figure for the ideal signal strength (metering varies with individual box models) is reckoned to be about 60%. This avoids problems with sensitive tuners not bein able to cope with high signal levels, where clipping the peaks of the analogue carrier can produce distortion of the output signal. In this case high levels of signal actually look low, down to the distortion produced by the signal clipping.

I can't explain it then, as with and without the splitter my notes show that my signal quality was 100%.
    All I do know is that when I used the splitter, I had a score of unwatchable and failed recordings in a week.
    Since I removed the splitter and looped through to the TV I have had none in 3 months.

I had a similar situation with the splitter feed to the TV only a few weeks ago, in fact I posted on here about it, kept getting signal drop out or freezing. It turned out to be a cheapo RF lead which was the culprit. Funny thing was it only happened on certain muxes. Changed the lead and it solved the problem. Just shows how little things can really mess things up.

| Mon 21 Mar 2016 16:55:51 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

Been there, done that. I've changed the RF lead more than once and had had the aerial direction checked but nothing that solves the mystery so far.

Humax still can't explain why the 9300T works perfectly whilst the 4000T keeps failing.

| Mon 21 Mar 2016 22:45:57 #24 |
  5. viccot

viccot

In the discussion on aerial connections I realized that my aerial had a VHF/UHF combiner and splitter. It seemed prudent to remove this and get a pure UHF signal. In doing so, I found that one of the Co-Axial plugs was broken on the splitter. (I blame the cat.) This has now been repaired and the two recordings I have made, so far, are OK. I will in future only use metal fittings. It looks like the plastic ones are too easily damaged.

| Thu 24 Mar 2016 14:48:40 #25 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.