My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Failed Recordings ?

(17 posts)
  1. greyjaybee

greyjaybee

Grateful for any advice re my nearly 10 year old Foxsat, which has from the off occasionally failed to record the odd thing, more so recently and in fact 3 times during last week,......this happens on different channels, not just the BBC, can be mid way through a series or a one off programme. There have been no conflicts with other things when this occurred. I leave it on standby all the time so presume updates will have been downloaded.
    Last night I finally got around to retuning using my current postcode, after 4 years of not bothering. Hoping that might've cleared any glitch but wonder if anyone else has any kind of a fix or advice. Note: I'm not that tech savvy and need things spelling out in detail, but this issue is so annoying, I'll have a go at any suggestions (as long as they're legal)...many thanks.

| Sun 5 Apr 2020 8:50:31 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Have you checked that the programmes you are trying to record were actually broadcast. In the current situation there have been a lot of impromptu schedule changes. Printed listing magazines cannot be trusted at the moment and the EPG on your PVR is not 100% reliable either. Suggest looking at the broadcaster's online EPG (eg iPlayer web site for the BBC).

| Sun 5 Apr 2020 10:52:12 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Some examples would help.

Many of the popular soaps are not now being transmitted as many days a week as normal. Covid-19 updates are replacing scheduled recordings. My freesat box is littered with lots of failed recordings.

| Sun 5 Apr 2020 11:01:29 #3 |
  4. greyjaybee

greyjaybee

Thanks for these suggestions.....I dont watch or record any soaps. But have been watching the re-run of Scott and Bailey on ITV3 where one episode simply failed to record. Last night it was Outnumbered on BBC1 that failed. I caught the end of it in realtime so know it was on. Both of those are not subject to alterations due to the CV crisis...additionally, neither of these appear as 'failed to record' in the list of recordings,as sometimes occurs, rather they just dont seem to be being picked up and still remain in the 'schedule' as if just passed by

| Sun 5 Apr 2020 11:19:30 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I have a possible cause as to the BBC 1 recordings. In the last few weeks the BBC have changed the way that they create the series recording codes.

This affects both the SD and HD channels.

Due to the way Humax Freesat pvrs handles series crid recordings. scheduling one produces multiple recording schedules on each of the other English SD regions and the other nation HD channels. Freesat stores all these at channel numbers starting at 950. As the box can only record two at the same time the recording fails.

Extreme example here

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/bbc-screws-up-xmas-special-of-scd/page/2?quote=75288#postform

Using edit channels delete any nation HD channels that you do not live in, and any SD regions not the one that appears in low channel numbers

949 BBC Two HD
    950 BBC 1 London
    951 BBC 1 CI
    952 BBC 1 E Mids
    953 BBC 1 East (E)
    954 BBC 1 East (W)
    955 BBC 1 N West
    956 BBC 1 NE & C
    957 BBC 1 NI
    958 BBC 1 Oxford
    959 BBC 1 S East
    960 BBC 1 Scotland
    961 BBC 1 South
    962 BBC 1 S West
    963 BBC 1 W Mids
    964 BBC 1 Wales
    965 BBC 1 West
    966 BBC 1 Yorks
    967 BBC 1 EYrks&L
    968 BBC 2 England
    969 BBC 2 NI
    970 BBC 2 Scotland
    971 BBC 2 Wales HD
    972 BBC ONE HD (England)
    973 BBC 1 Scot HD
    976 BBC 1 Wales HD
    978 BBC 1 NI HD
    979 BBC Two Wales

Attachments

1. Strictly_Both.jpg (301.3 KB, 2 downloads) 4 years old
    | Sun 5 Apr 2020 12:13:51 #5 |
  6. greyjaybee

greyjaybee

Oh thanks very much, how interesting....I will take a look and see if I can delete those not of my region. Not sure how to do that as my box is quite old and doesn't look like the example you've copied. Note: could this also apply perhaps to duplications of ITV channels. ?

| Sun 5 Apr 2020 12:29:40 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

greyjaybee - 8 mins ago  » 
    Oh thanks very much, how interesting....I will take a look and see if I can delete those not of my region. Not sure how to do that as my box is quite old and doesn't look like the example you've copied. Note: could this also apply perhaps to duplications of ITV channels. ?

The age of the box isn't relevant. There is only 1 duplicate ITV entry you should find ITV - London on 977

Are you saying when you look at your epg you don't have the channels starting at 949 ? While watching anything press 949 on the remote.

Then to speed things up press schedule then red.

You should now be looking at the epg with 949 at the top.

I will post how to delete these later after you confirm you actually have these - Better half is watching Freesat at the moment.

Hint you can jump to any channel in the epg by simply tapping in the channel number (lcn - logical channel number)

See the next post

| Sun 5 Apr 2020 12:44:22 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

This shows the box scheduled 4 recordings at the same time for the Strictly Come Dancing Xmas special

You need the custom firmware to reveal this level of detail.

Attachments

1. All_4_Strictly_Nations_Scheduled.jpg (433.2 KB, 2 downloads) 4 years old
    | Sun 5 Apr 2020 12:45:45 #8 |
  9. greyjaybee

greyjaybee

Oh thankyou...I do have a lot of 9 numbered channels yes....I was referring to the icons above. :?. It's just I dont recall seeing a delete button, and no idea what is 'custom firmware'.

| Sun 5 Apr 2020 12:56:14 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

How to delete unwanted.

Menu

Down Once to Edit Channels

Right To Edit Channel List

Scroll down to 949 - press red to delete

Repeat for the others

Save the results when you exit

| Sun 5 Apr 2020 13:05:23 #10 |