My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Fault on YouTube?

(8 posts)
  1. IAINB

IAINB

Hallo,

YouTube sometimes fails to load, particularly at weeekends, it seems. If I go at once to another YouTube version on a second (non-Humax) receiver, all is well. BBC iPlayer always functions.

I have a fast solid internet connection of around 13MB which hardly varies. The Humax App searches fine and produces (SEEK) a series of links (eg Eastenders), I choose one, and it starts by loading all the "housework", then instead of the video comes nothing more. Rather as if Storage space for the video cannot be found.

As YouTube always works on the "other" receiver, and iPlayer always works on the HB, I think both receivers are OK, likewise the YouTube App on the second receiver. The connection works on both receivers unfailingly too.
    It therefore seems the HB itself is good and the fault seems to be in the App. I can hardly complain to my provider when YouTube is faultless on one receiver but not faultless on the other one!

Regards. IAINB

| Sat 19 Apr 2014 15:43:57 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bampsam

I have exactly the same problem on my HDR-1000S. I have posted on the Freesat Community site,with no ideas/suggestions to date. Any help would be appreciated.

| Sun 20 Apr 2014 14:41:15 #2 |
  3. IAINB

IAINB

Dear Bampsam,

It is surprising that no one else is interested in this topic, not even stalwarts like Repassac and Barry!

It has done it again, once more on a (busy) Bank Holiday Monday. YouTube, complete with new logo, was off as described above pm, when I wanted to use it, but back by 2000 mysteriously. On the other set-top-box all was well of course, but the HB is much more rapid when inputting a search. Annoying, as the HB app is easily the best I have come across except for this snag, and I much prefer it!

Other HB troubles as mentioned elsewhere remain and Humax have not updated for months, eg the humbar and occasional instability. So the hope is that they have not lost interest in this box, perhaps because sales targets have met expectations or because of staff shortages. I have used Repassac's tip and reset, by pulling out the power connection, several times. This restores matters, but not permanently.

Regards. IAINB

| Tue 6 May 2014 13:04:25 #3 |
  4. IAINB

IAINB

Dear Bampsam & Others,

YouTube has failed three more times, returning later. It seems to start loading on the horizontal line, then stops.

As no other person, and no one at Humax either, seems to show any interest, I am not continuing with this topic.

This puts us back to the old Humax situation, where they know but show no interest in a correction. An update could be a long way off and I shall just have to live with an HB that is generally excellent but with a few serious weaknesses. For YouTube I have the other STB which is good every time but less easy to manipulate!

Regards. IAINB

| Mon 19 May 2014 12:27:10 #4 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

IAINB - 1 hour ago  » 
    Dear Bampsam & Others,
    YouTube has failed three more times, returning later. It seems to start loading on the horizontal line, then stops.
    As no other person, and no one at Humax either, seems to show any interest, I am not continuing with this topic.
    This puts us back to the old Humax situation, where they know but show no interest in a correction. An update could be a long way off and I shall just have to live with an HB that is generally excellent but with a few serious weaknesses. For YouTube I have the other STB which is good every time but less easy to manipulate!
    Regards. IAINB

I don't think it's a case of nobody being interested, it's just probably the case it's not affecting anyone else other than yourself and Bampsam.
    Have you tried contacting both Freesat and YouTube rather than Humax? (Or when you say Humax do you mean this forum?)
    Perhaps you should join Bampsam and add to the Freesat community topic as currently he's the only other who seems to have this issue.
    http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/Help-and-advice/YouTube-not-working-again/m-p/15857#M2882
    Just out of interest, who is your ISP and what router are you using?
    Also how's Demand5 do program's play ok after ads or are you seeing constant looping ads and no program?(only ask as a couple of others are having that issue)

| Mon 19 May 2014 14:00:49 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Indeed gonzo - I have checked a few streams on youtube a couple of times via a HB 1000S and all played perfectly.

| Mon 19 May 2014 17:11:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

catinaz

Bampsam, Ian
    Your problem, could be with the ports blocked or doubled with another service i.e. game console. When you experience the problem, go to your router setup and put your network in "demilitarized" zone. In other words switch all firewalls connecting to the net "directly" for a moment, and then see if it helps.
    Another guess would be, that another service use same port number as HB's youtube, causing a problem. For that, you'll need to see what other devices are connected to the net while you experiencing youtube problems. And whether it helps if you switch them off, or, at least, take them off line.
    Hope it helps.

| Fri 23 May 2014 0:59:16 #7 |
  8. IAINB

IAINB

Dear catinaz,

Thanks for your most practical contribution!

After reading this I felt that I and others had a ray of hope at last. If the funny fault was local which was probable, given the previous replies, then it could well be in router settings (as I had already said before) and here was the practical idea of checking port settings.

So I decided to ask for these from Humax and have received a most thorough reply from "Robert W". He has given me HTTP (80) and HTTP (8080), which I have entered into the router for the correct IP-Address. I was unsure about which protocols so have entered them in both the usual ones. Robert also gave port 443 for SSL but my firewall does not recognise this. Now I will wait and see if YouTube is working as it ought!

Thanks again for your help. Regards.

| Thu 29 May 2014 12:05:22 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.