My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Finding signal on Humax box

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Scutman

My father in law has just moved house. He has a Humax Foxsat HDR box. He's moved into a flat where there is a TV output on the wall where he can receive freeview TV (He can get freeview channels to his TV, I've checked)

I've tried to connect his Humax box but it can't find a signal.

What I've done so far is connect the TV (Coaxial cable) from wall, to LNB 1 input using one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z4CLT9N/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_i_c_TJQSEbXADFY51

and then run a HDMI cable from Humax box to TV

Can find Humax box on screen, but when I try to find channels I can't find signal.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need another cable into the LNB 1 out from Humax box?
    Is the connector correct?

What am I missing

Please help!

| Sat 16 May 2020 13:58:18 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

If he can receive Freeview on that outlet, then it is connected to a conventional TV aerial. A Foxsat box is for receiving from a satellite and needs to be connected to a dish. They are not interchangeable.

| Sat 16 May 2020 14:07:35 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Is the property your dads own or in building with multiple occupants like say a block of flats.

If his own you have two options - Get a satellite dish installed.

If shared and no communal satellite system you will need to replace the box (you should be able to sell the Foxsat on e-bay).

Replace with a newer Humax FVP box. These can record up to 4 at once) a lot more than the Foxsat HDR limit of two.

eg

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished/freeview-play-recorder-fvp-5000t-500gb-refurbished.html

Does your dad have a broadband internet service ?

| Sat 16 May 2020 14:22:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Scutman

Ah ok, this is making some sense, so the Humax box is a satellite receiver not a digital signal receiver from a digital aerial. So options would be as you say, to either get a dish fitted (Not sure if he can at the moment) or get a freeview recorder box that uses a digital signal not a satellite signal

| Sat 16 May 2020 14:29:59 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Scutman - 59 mins ago  » 
    Ah ok, this is making some sense, so the Humax box is a satellite receiver not a digital signal receiver from a digital aerial. So options would be as you say, to either get a dish fitted (Not sure if he can at the moment) or get a freeview recorder box that uses a digital signal not a satellite signal

There is no such thing as a digital aerial. UK terrestrial TV uses the UHF band for transmission. Former analogue services used a single UHF carrier (the carrier is analogue). An aerial is designed to receive a range of UHF carriers.

When analogue TV shut down the same type analogue carrier is used. But instead of one frequency carrying only a single channel. They carry lots of of channels on the same carrier (known as a MUX - Multiplex). That's because the info is encoded digitally. Digital tuners extract a channel from all the data to provide a TV signal.

Satellite is also digital. The digital mux use a much higher frequency (actually similar to a microwave. These are too high a frequency to use coax. The signals are transmitted from satellites 22000 mls above the equator.

The dish focusses these on a device called a lnb which block shifts the frequency down to level they can use to deliver the signals directly to a satellite tuner.

Thereafter the process is the same as terrestrial. The tuner extracts the channel you want to display it on a TV.

Both satellite and terrestrial are digital.

DVB- stands for digital video broadcasting. There are two variants used for each 1 or 2.

So

DVB-T is digital video broadcasting- Terrestrial (the 1 is implied). DVB-T is used for terrestrial Standard Definition content

DVB-T2 is digital Video Broadcasting version - Mostly used for HD services but not always. Some Freeview multiplexes have SD as well as HD channels.

DVB-S is digital Video Broadcasting version 1 again the 1 is implied. Used for SD services

DVB-S2 is satellite digital Video - V2 . Used for HD services

The Foxsat-HDR is a twin tuner DVB-S2 unit with a built in hard disk used to record two and provide live TV pause and rewind capability.

The FVP- unit I linked to has triple DVB-T2 tuners.

If your dads TV has Freeview-HD it will have at least one DVB-T2 tuner.

If only SD capable of viewing SD channels it will likely have a single DVB-T tuner.

The FVP unit I linked to is a triple tuner FVP-

| Sat 16 May 2020 16:01:28 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.