My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

First failed recordings - plus a streaming question?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB

Hi all, noob...

Had the 1tb box for a couple of weeks now and thought I was doing pretty well as had none of the issues some have reported. However...

Had set recordings for the F1 on Sunday (1530), plus Nigel Slater just before it (1430) - both on BBC1HD. Everything else has recorded just fine up to now.

Both of these programmes failed - had it shown in recordings as 'BBC1HD - 1430-1430 Failed' and similar for the F1 (1530-1530).

No additional info on why this happened. Quite odd.

As I say, everything else has pretty much worked as expected.

The only other issue is that on the same evening, it seemed to only part record things which didn't have any clashes. The wife was using iPlayer just beforehand and when we went back to 'normal' TV, the box seemed to restart for some reason. It seems that the programmes that were being recorded at the time just stopped recording for no apparent reason.

It's been fine since.

On the streaming issue, I've got content stored on a NAS, which the box can find ok and I can browse the library, but it seems to not like the file types - just bog-standard AVIs (not sure of the codec inside though). These play absolutely fine when streamed via my PS3 and tablet. Is the HDR1000S very fussy about codecs? The weird thing is, it DOES play a few movies I've ripped from DVD, despite these being ripped using the exact same method as the ones that don't!!!!

Any ideas? I like the new box (we've moved from Sky) but it's tricky re-assuring the wife that these are teething troubles!

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 20:06:43 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

MattB - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Hi all, noob...
    Had the 1tb box for a couple of weeks now and thought I was doing pretty well as had none of the issues some have reported. However...
    Had set recordings for the F1 on Sunday (1530), plus Nigel Slater just before it (1430) - both on BBC1HD. Everything else has recorded just fine up to now.
    Both of these programmes failed - had it shown in recordings as 'BBC1HD - 1430-1430 Failed' and similar for the F1 (1530-1530).
    No additional info on why this happened. Quite odd.
    As I say, everything else has pretty much worked as expected.
    The only other issue is that on the same evening, it seemed to only part record things which didn't have any clashes. The wife was using iPlayer just beforehand and when we went back to 'normal' TV, the box seemed to restart for some reason. It seems that the programmes that were being recorded at the time just stopped recording for no apparent reason.
    It's been fine since.
    On the streaming issue, I've got content stored on a NAS, which the box can find ok and I can browse the library, but it seems to not like the file types - just bog-standard AVIs (not sure of the codec inside though). These play absolutely fine when streamed via my PS3 and tablet. Is the HDR1000S very fussy about codecs? The weird thing is, it DOES play a few movies I've ripped from DVD, despite these being ripped using the exact same method as the ones that don't!!!!
    Any ideas? I like the new box (we've moved from Sky) but it's tricky re-assuring the wife that these are teething troubles!

There is nothing "bog standard about avi's"

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 20:13:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB

True.

I must admit that I don't know off the top of my head how I've ripped the DVDs in detail - used Handbrake on fairly standard settings.

As I say, the slightly weird bit is that with all files done the same way, some play via the Humax but most don't.

My NAS is a D-Link DNS-320 model. Wonder if the streaming software doesn't get on with the Humax (but does with the PS3)? Actually, is it the NAS that 'does' the streaming or the client device?

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 20:51:51 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

MattB - 54 minutes ago  » 
    True.
    I must admit that I don't know off the top of my head how I've ripped the DVDs in detail - used Handbrake on fairly standard settings.
    As I say, the slightly weird bit is that with all files done the same way, some play via the Humax but most don't.
    My NAS is a D-Link DNS-320 model. Wonder if the streaming software doesn't get on with the Humax (but does with the PS3)? Actually, is it the NAS that 'does' the streaming or the client device?

I would guess that it is nothing to do with streamin.

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 21:47:32 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB

Sorry, but can you clarify what you mean?

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 16:13:40 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB

My wife just called from home - three failed recordings late last night/early hours. Obviously it doesn't tell you what programmes these were but have worked out it was the Bundesliga coverage on ITV4+1, Only Connect on BBC4 and Have I Got More News For You on BBC1HD.

Annoying but grateful there are catch up services and repeats.

She also mentions that Stephen Fry Gadget Man has recorded for over 2 hours so presume that caused the later failed recordings, although some were on far later to have caused clashes, etc.

The only thing I 'did' last night was put the box into standby, probably about 8.30-9pm or so before had an early night. Is this causing the problem? I did notice the 'REC' light was on the front display, both before standby and afterwards so I assume it didn't affect things.

Might have to avoid using standby at all from now on.

I thought we were doing pretty well with a lack of failed recordings but they're getting a bit more regular recently. Very annoying.

Any others finding this?

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 14:05:51 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

BrianH

Just bought a new Youview box and it failed to record many programmes but did record one or two. We took it back (after telephone advice) and got a replacement unit and this one has not failed to record at all. Seems to have been a hardware / firmware problem.

| Thu 13 Dec 2012 9:16:14 #7 |
  8. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Or possibly a tuning problem with the first box with it picking up duplicate channels from another transmitter.

| Thu 13 Dec 2012 12:43:10 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.