My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

First impressions - glitches vs. pro's

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Oh gosh - I wondered if I spoke to soon when I said I hadn't seen

I had finally learnt that if I wanted to use the box at time "x" then it must not be recording at time "x".

I have now - see FVP-4000T will not "activate" with remote control[i] at https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/fvp-4000t-will-not-activate-with-remote-control?replies=1#post-44198

I think the box must have read my post of whinges above, was deeply offended that I could besmirch its good character and now refuses to co-operate with me.

| Tue 29 Dec 2015 20:33:37 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I started with HDMI, there was a lot of correspondence saying HDMI was the problem, one forum member said, "rubbish" - I'm using scart and have all the same problems.

I tried just scart, had all the same problems so have gone back to HDMI and eliminated that from the equation (rightly or wrongly?).

I think you mean RCA and not SCART as it does not have a SCART output. The phono-like plugs are RCA.

Humax Support has advised me to connect via RCA and unplug the HDMI cable. This may be because the HDMI protocol allows "turn on" and "turn off" signals to be sent to equipment and it could be that Humax wants to be certain that the TV is not interfering with the Humax via the HDMI link. Note how, with HDMI, when you switch on the Humax, the TV comes on a few seconds later.

I was initially concerned that "grotty old analogue RCA" would be nowhere as good as "shiny new digital HDMI" but, while I haven't done any serious testing, I did come across lots of posts like HDMI vs. Component - What's The Difference? which suggest that RCA can be every bit as good as HDMI and where you have long cables, a lot better.

| Thu 31 Dec 2015 20:16:22 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Component is capable of handling HD content, because it's easily copied kit with component out is rare these days. Normally component uses 3 RCA phono cables for video (A few pvrs had component out on scart, like the Topfield SD pvrs). No Humax box has component out. Not to be confused with composite video which is the lowest quality connection, composite video combines the luminance and chrominance onto a single connection (normally a yellow socket). All scart cables have composite in and out connections. This can cause the shimmering effect you sometimes see on fabrics with a regular pattern, due to cross talk between the luminance and chrominance signals.

Both are analogue connections (A digital component connection is available but it's very rare to find one). HD games consoles usually have component out as well as HDMI. This means they can be used with the first generation of HD TV's which predated HDMI.

HDMI is capable of using CEC control which is what enables the power control, you should be able to turn it off on your TV. This may in fact be the cause of your problems (surprised Humax did not tell you to turn off CEC)

Different makes of TV have different names for CEC control.

List of names here

http://elinux.org/CEC_(Consumer_Electronics_Control)_over_HDMI

If you can't find an option to disable cec on your tV there is a simple adaptor that omits the connection used for CEC from a HDMI cable.

| Fri 1 Jan 2016 11:45:21 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Graham
    Thanks for that clarification especially as you are correct - I was being confused between composite and component. wiki lists them all at List of video connectors
    My TV (Panasonic Viera) actually has a "composite" (1 x yellow + L/R audio), which I am using for the Humax; and "component" (1 x red Pr/Cr, 1 x blue Pb/Cb, 1 x green Y) input.

The composite signal seems much softer that the HDMI which I guess is because it has lost a lot of high frequency stuff.

As to the problem - I have unplugged the HDMI cable but it still happened last night, but with subtle differences.

The Humax was sitting in standby not recording. Press Red power button. Red light goes out for a moment, then comes back on. Same thing for the next 3 or 4 presses. But then it suddenly comes on. While it was "not coming on" the volume control bars did not appear.

| Fri 1 Jan 2016 12:16:45 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brava210

If you press the d-pad left arrow you get access to info.

| Fri 1 Jan 2016 19:40:02 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

It will be very interesting to see what features will be added/changed in the new software release - see FVP 4000T trial if you want to test it.

| Tue 15 Mar 2016 15:22:02 #16 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.