My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

First impressions of the 5000t

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

Hi Barry, see what I mean, now that's another nice little tweak on the 5000t
    I haven't come across that one yet, but it's handy to know of as it will be very useful in the future. Again many thanks for the heads up.

| Sun 22 Oct 2017 16:10:31 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

So after 3 weeks of excessive use the 5000t Still impresses us.
    even at this moment in time we have 17 recordings and another 24
    on the schedule. On occasions we have scheduled 4 at the same time .
    Once again without a hitch.
    This little box seems t tick all the Boxes for us.
    Even the search history memory is a nice little touch.

| Tue 7 Nov 2017 20:23:02 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

john1 - 2 hours ago  » 
    So after 3 weeks of excessive use the 5000t Still impresses us.
    even at this moment in time we have 17 recordings and another 24
    on the schedule. On occasions we have scheduled 4 at the same time .
    Once again without a hitch.
    This little box seems t tick all the Boxes for us.
    Even the search history memory is a nice little touch.

To reassure 4000T owners, the 4000T has identical recording capability.

Ie 4 channels across 3 mux with 5th channel viewing (and time shifting) on any channel on any of the 3 mux. When recording not using 3 mux there are additional viewing capabilities.

eg try recording 4-HD channels from the five PSB HD channels BBC1-HD, BBC2-HD, ITV-HD, Channel 4-HD and Channel 5-HD. This uses just 2 of your 3 tuners, as a result you can view any other channel (and time shift it).

| Tue 7 Nov 2017 22:47:19 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

Well, I have to take back all my whining about PVR technology going backwards etc. and admit that in the case of the FVP 5000T, I couldn't have been more wrong.

I guess the truth is that I don't like change and want everything to stay the same. My heart sinks when I'm in the supermarket and I see a "New IMPROVED recipe!" blurb on a favourite product. I'm sure it will be worse.

Setup was laughably simple. I just plugged in the four or five leads (I used the ethernet lead as I have a computer nearby and it saved having to enter a WiFi password), the screen lit up and the software did the rest, only requiring me to click "OK" every once in a while.

The picture on SD and HD channels is excellent (even with my £5.99 indoor aerial) and using the PVR is so intuitive that I only had to refer to the manual twice (to discover how to see HD channels only in the EPG and how to create a "Favourite channels" list) and pick grahamlthompson's brain once (to find out why the "Favourite channels" option was greyed out - I was recording, duh!).

And although I scoffed at the idea of a transparent EPG (what could be sillier and more gimmicky?) and intended to turn it off right away, I find that I actually rather like it and will keep it - for the time being, at least.

The skip forward/backward function that I was so exercised about works as well if not better that it did on my much-loved and super-reliable 9150T (it never missed a recording in five years or more).

The remote is also very well designed and light and easy to use. The only change I would make is a dedicated "Favourites" button to take me to an EPG of my favourite channels (I'd happily exchange that for the Netflix button). It takes 8 or more clicks to get to my favourite channels now.

But since that's all I have to complain about I consider myself very fortunate indeed and have no hesitation in awarding the 5000T a well-earned 10/10. My wife says everything in my world falls into one of two categories - excellent of complete rubbish. The 5000T is definitely in the excellent category.

Of course, it's early days yet and much may still go wrong, but so far every programme I've chosen has been recorded flawlessly so my initial impressions are overwhelmingly positive and I'd recommend the 5000T to anyone as a really superb piece of design and engineering.

Many thanks to everyone - especially Barry - who helped lay my fears to rest and commit me to this purchase.

| Thu 9 Nov 2017 20:18:35 #14 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

To make Favourites 'sticky' see FAQ

| Thu 9 Nov 2017 21:15:47 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

Barry - 1 hour ago  » 
    To make Favourites 'sticky' see FAQ

Great, now I've got nothing to complain about.

| Thu 9 Nov 2017 23:11:11 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

Hi Marius.
    It's really good to see someone who was a bit sceptical about the 5000t
    make a complete U-turn.
    It wasn't just the advise on this forum that did it but the 5000t itself.
    You have obviously managed a mind reset for the user interface changes.
    Now you'll be able to sit back and enjoy your investment.
    If you are as happy, only half as much as we are with ours you will be a very happy Bunny.

| Fri 10 Nov 2017 8:40:06 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

I put the box into standby last night and this morning all my news bulletins and the wife's "Victoria Derbyshire" and "Good Morning Britain" had been perfectly recorded in glorious HD.

So yes, I'm a very happy bunny.

And the remote's central wheel button for skipping backwards and forwards is like a single button to the fingers so that it's actually much easier to operate than my old 9150T which had two different buttons for those functions. They were tiny and it was easy to press the wrong one and find that instead of skipping back, you had a rectangular preview window of some random channel sitting annoyingly in the middle of the screen.

| Fri 10 Nov 2017 15:41:54 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.