My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Fixes for RM-F04 remote/handset not working

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Cliff_G

Had our Fox T2 for years and around 5 years ago replaced the handset as the buttons were unresponsive. The 2nd handset fell over on me today, all of a sudden. Battery change not effective.

I still had the original handset so after looking at https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/how-to-open-up-and-clean-remoterm-f01-control I took it apart and cleaned it, using RS contacts cleaner/lubricator. Now works. I cleaned considerable dirt off the rubber contacts; the PCB surfaces were reasonably clean.

Whilst learning the trick of separating the top and bottom of the handset via some Youtube videos, I came across one video suggesting you tried a different trick first. This was to remove the batteries, then hold down the On/Off button for at least a minute, then press each of the other keys several times. Before taking the "new" handset apart to clean it (thus providing his and hers handsets ), I tried this trick .... and it worked, without needing the handset to be cleaned!

Now this feels like a discharge of static or other charge, which would perhaps explain why the more recent handset suddenly went from fine to non-working, on pretty much all keys at the same time. And if you take it apart and clean it, you're probably also discharging any static.

So, perhaps if you've a u/s handset, try that first.

Does anyone know what the technical descripiton is of the type keys in these handsets? The rubber keys look like rubber alone, with no coating, so I am surmising a capacitance sensor of some description.

| Tue 1 Nov 2022 16:33:37 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Cliff_G - 53 mins ago  » 
    Now this feels like a discharge of static or other charge, which would perhaps explain why the more recent handset suddenly went from fine to non-working, on pretty much all keys at the same time.

I would say it is simply power cycling the remote after it got itself into an odd state.

| Tue 1 Nov 2022 17:28:38 #2 |
  3. prking

prking

I was taught this trick years ago when I did tech support for a major electronics retailer. It only works if the batteries are out. It’s a combination of power cycling and removing static. (When remotes are used somewhere very dry they will build up static. So it tended to be common with older people who keep the heating on or where the remote is near a heat source)

| Thu 3 Nov 2022 7:01:06 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Cliff_G

Very interesting, thanks. So it is a proper thing. Perhaps needs adding/pinning to the FAQs

| Thu 3 Nov 2022 9:52:43 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.