My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Format USB storage as Internal Memory fault

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bradavon

I want to increase the internal 16GB storage available to Android apps. Frustratingly despite the Aura having 1TB storage that's not available to Android.

I bought a low profile 128GB USB stick and on inserting it it's recognised as "Removable Storage".

This mode is for accessing files between Android TV and a Computer. It doesn't increase the internal storage.

Internal Storage increases the 16GB so Android apps believe there's more storage.

The Google page for this says:

- If Android TV can recognize the format: It sets the drive up as removable storage.

If Android TV can't recognize the format: It asks you to format the drive as internal or removable storage.

Source: https://support.google.com/androidtv/answer/6299083?hl=en#zippy=%2Cset-up-your-drive

So I put the usb stick in my computer and deleted the partition.

Now because there's no formatted partition, I'm asked if I want to format as "Device Storage".

I've done it a few times and each time it actually formats as Removable Storage.

I've also tried it with a 32GB USB Stick and the same occurs, removable storage

You can see in Android Settings which it's formatted as.

It lists the internal 16GB as "Device Storage" (8.4GB usable), so I believe it's supposed to be formatting the USB Stick as Device Storage not Removable Storage.

I know this is possible because a friend has a Humax A1 and this formatted a 64GB MicroSD card as Internal storage no issue. It's gone from 8GB to 72GB storage (minus space used up by OS/Apps).

During the process the Humax A1 asks if you want to move photos, videos and application data to the external storage.

The Aura doesn't ask this.

I think it's a bug with the Humax Aura's android implementation.

Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks.

| Mon 8 Jan 2024 4:10:01 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bradavon - 9 hours ago  » 
    I think it's a bug with the Humax Aura's android implementation.
    Has anyone else tried this?

I can't remember anyone else asking this question. I suspect you may be right that it is quite possibly a bug.

| Mon 8 Jan 2024 13:14:22 #2 |
  3. prking

prking

Something to bear in mind is that only a suitably fast device will be formatted as internal storage.

So you'll need the fastest spec USB stick so a USB 3 stick.

I seem to recall the Aura has one USB 2 and One USB 3 ports so make sure its a high speed USB stick in a USB 3 port.

| Mon 8 Jan 2024 17:43:52 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bradavon

prking - 2 hours ago  » 
    Something to bear in mind is that only a suitably fast device will be formatted as internal storage.
    So you'll need the fastest spec USB stick so a USB 3 stick.
    I seem to recall the Aura has one USB 2 and One USB 3 ports so make sure its a high speed USB stick in a USB 3 port.

Hi.

Are you saying if you insert a lower speed device it will format as Removable Storage regardless? I wasn't aware of this.

I've tried it in both the USB3 and USB2 ports.

The 32GB stick is old, but the 128GB is new. I bought this one from Amazon that is USB3 speed:

Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C USB Flash Drive 128GB USB Gen 3 Type-C and Type-A - DTDUO3CG3/128GB:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B1W3VLQK

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Google page instructions actually says:

If Android TV can't recognize the format: It asks you to format the drive as internal or removable storage.

This isn't what occurs on the Aura. It just offers "Format as Device Storage".

I find the wording Device Storage to be pertinent because that's what the actual 16GB (formatted as 8.2GB) internal storage is labelled as in Storage under Android Preferences.

The only way to format as Internal Storage is when:

A: You first insert the USB Stick and an Android notification appears saying the "format is corrupt and do you want to "fix it". Which just means it doesn't recognise the current formatted partition.

A: The current partition isn't recognised. If the USB Stick is already formatted as FAT it just defaults to removabl storage. Which is what the Google page above says happens.

In Storage under Android Preferences it only lets you reformat as Removable Storage.

I can't remeber on my friend's Humax A1 if it asks if you want to format as Internal or Removable Storage. Actually, I think it does give you the choice on the Humax A1 but I would need to double check.

The Humax A1 is a non-modified Android TV box. The Aura has been customised by Humax.

I think it's either a bug with the Humax Aura's android implementation or interntionally it's not offering the option to format as Internal Storage. Samsung Galaxy devices are known not to support the Internal Storage feature. I wonder if Humax removed it?

I've also contacted Humax Support.

Thanks

| Mon 8 Jan 2024 20:39:25 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bradavon

Have been meaning to add screenshots, in case this issue is discussed in future:

I think it's effectively a bug because the wording presented says "Format as Device Storage", which is the wording used in Android Preferences -> Storage for the internal 16GB (8.4GB available) reserved for Android:

But the Description that goes along with it, makes it clear, it's actually going to format as Removable Storage:

On other Android TV devices, when the format of the device isn't recognised, you're given a choice of formatting as:

- Removable Storage
    - Internal Storage

Choosing the later then explains the device can only be used in this device:

It's not clear why the Humax Aura gives different options to the standard Android TV options when you insert a USB device with a format it doesn't understand?

| Wed 10 Jan 2024 18:41:44 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bradavon

It took Humax Support a while to confirm what we already suspected:

I have just received an update that the option to format USB storage as Internal Storage, is not possible on the Humax Aura unit.

It's not clear why Humax removed this standard Android TV feature from the Aura in it's developpment though.

| Wed 7 Feb 2024 21:32:11 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.