My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Formatting a replacement hard drive

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

roman

the hard drive in a friend’s HDR1000 failed and I have replaced it but can’t see any way to format the drive. Is there really no option to do this or am I missing something?

| Thu 21 Nov 2019 9:57:15 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

roman - 2 hours ago  » 
    the hard drive in a friend’s HDR1000 failed and I have replaced it but can’t see any way to format the drive. Is there really no option to do this or am I missing something?

It should automatically format it for you. Are you sure the original hard disk has failed. Some of these stop working due to a faulty component on the mother board.

Humax used to have a repair service but stopped this a long time ago.

https://www.digirepairs.co.uk/product/repair-booking-humax-freesat-plus-freeview-plus-youview-plus-box-repairs/

| Thu 21 Nov 2019 12:10:20 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

roman

Yes, I'm sure the hard drive is dead so there must be a fault with the SATA controller too. Thank you for your response.

| Thu 21 Nov 2019 12:54:13 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

roman - 10 hours ago  » 
    Yes, I'm sure the hard drive is dead so there must be a fault with the SATA controller too. Thank you for your response.

How did you confirm the HDD is dead ?

| Thu 21 Nov 2019 23:08:06 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The OP did not mention the size of the replacement drive, nor if it was new.

It is possible there is a size limitation, as there was on a previous model, 2tb or less should be O.K. however.

The fact that the replacement drive is not seen increases the probability that the original drive is O.K.

| Fri 22 Nov 2019 11:46:50 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

roman

THe hard drive was scanned usinga disk alnalysis tool on a linux computer running ubuntu and errors were found in the ext2 file structures of the main partition.. A repair was attaempted which failed. Thsi usually indicates surface defects. I could have also looked at the drive's SMART daat but considiered it academic. The repalcement drive was a smaller drive (the user had a 320GB SATA drive) and it was tried out with no formatting and also when formatted with the same paertition style as the drive that had failed. Both times theere was no drive visible on the Humax box. The owner of ths box says that he recalls seeing a format option in Settings>Storage>Format Drive but it's not there when I have lookeed in the menu. I am going to get the device back to the owener and he is gping to send it to digirepairs.

Many thanks for your comments and advice.

| Sat 23 Nov 2019 18:50:23 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

roman - 2 days ago  » 
    I am going to get the device back to the owener and he is gping to send it to digirepairs.

It would be very helpful to know what happens if the box is sent to DigiRepairs.

| Tue 26 Nov 2019 12:07:46 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

roman

I heard from the person who's recorder thsi was and they never contacted Digi-Repairs so can't help you withany info on the process.

| Mon 15 Jun 2020 12:04:56 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.