My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

foxsat hdr stopped working

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

F 3rR8ee

Hola,
    I live in the Pyrenees in Spain and have been using a foxsat hdr to receive astra 1. Yes, I know I can't get astra 2, freesat, etc, here. Recently it won't boot. It turns on but refuses to get any further than "boot." I suspect the electronics has finally failed but grateful for your thoughts.

If, as I suspect, I need to buy another sat receiver, grateful for recommendations. Please bear in mind that freesat or anything on astra 2 is irrelevant. All I need is astra 1.

Thanks,

Peter

| Fri 9 Sep 2016 10:34:33 #1 |
  2. andyfras

andyfras

I suspect that some PSU capacitors need replacing. Well worth doing, rather than getting a newer model.

| Fri 9 Sep 2016 10:42:36 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

First thing to try is disconnect the hard drive. If it boots up as non recording box, replacing the hard drive with a AV drive of up to 1TB is very easy.

| Fri 9 Sep 2016 12:16:13 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

andyfras - 1 hour ago  » 
    I suspect that some PSU capacitors need replacing. Well worth doing, rather than getting a newer model.

Power supply failures on a Foxsat-HDR are pretty rare. The Foxsat-HD does have the dreaded Capxon capacitors and generally fails at around 18 months to 2 yrs (cheap repair kits are widely available). My Foxsat-HDR dates back to 2008 and is used every day. The hard drive is usually the first item to fail.

| Fri 9 Sep 2016 12:20:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

F 3rR8ee

Many thanks for these replies. It is an old receiver, can't remember how old but must be 2009 or so and has been around and around in France in different locations, a Lot. I'm surprised it lasted this long!

So now I'm trying to "disconnect the hard drive" and find "capxom" capacitors and "psu" capacitors. Wish me luck!

Peter

| Fri 9 Sep 2016 12:40:48 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

F 3rR8ee

I did as you said, ie. disconnected the connector from the big black bit labelled foxsathdr 500 gb. And, magically, the receiver part of it worked perfectly! Wonderful. Thank you very much.

Apparently I now need another hard drive. Can I rescue the recordings I have already made? Most grateful for where to get a suitable hard drive.

Peter

| Fri 9 Sep 2016 13:12:56 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

F 3rR8ee

It occurs to me that my foxsat is around 8 years old and things in this neck of the woods move fast. So I had thought of just buying a new one. But, I read the new humax receivers are virtually impossible to use for astra 1 - the only satellite I can get and want to get. And there don't seem to be any handy good quality alternatives. And, as you guys seem happy to advise me on mending my old foxsat, I suspect it's at least as good as the new ones, anyway?

Peter

| Fri 9 Sep 2016 13:26:16 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

F 3rR8ee

Some numbers may help. My old drive is Seagate pipeline .2 500 gb:

S/N 6VV3W4YE

ST 3500312CS

P/N 9GW132 - 191

Firmware: SC 13

data code: 11413

Peter

| Fri 9 Sep 2016 13:39:24 #8 |
  9. andyfras

andyfras

You should find plenty of Seagate Pipeline 500GB disks on eBay, as many people upgrade their PVRs to 1TB or 2TB.

| Fri 9 Sep 2016 14:14:48 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

F 3rR8ee

I've found this which I can buy easily in spain:

http://tiendas.mediamarkt.es/p/seagate-pipeline-hd-1tb-ce-int3-5in-5900-10104288

Would it be OK?

Peter

| Fri 9 Sep 2016 14:18:06 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.