My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Foxsat to HDR 1100S

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

NonGeek

Go easy on me I'm a new guy but..
    upgraded from my Foxsat to a sparkly new 1100S great features. Before I took down my foxsat, I copied some items from the hard drive onto an exterior one.I had to tdo this in EXT3 as I had some HD's that would not fit on a fat32 4 Gig part.
    Upshot is that the 1100S did not recognize the drive nor in fact did a Fat32 drive either. seemed to be ok with NTFS, at least it recognised an empty 8 gig pen drive but, not the 500Gig ext that I re-formatted. In desperation I tried linking the old Foxsat directly to the 1100S still no recognition. has something changed? Surely I should be able to read something! Help

| Sat 29 Aug 2015 22:09:05 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I presume that the Foxsat is standard (no custom firmware, if not so please re-post).
    Were all your connection attempts via USB and were the large drives (what size) powered or no. A 2.5 Inch drive need not be but a 3.5 needs to be powered.
    I would have expected both NTFS and EXT3 to work, however the Foxsat can't handle this format.

Before I suggest a simpler approach, you are wasting your time with the HD files, these are encrypted and can only be played by the Foxsat. There is a way of playing them over the network but only with the Foxsat custom firmware with the DLNA server add-on.

As regards a alternate method, why not copy the SD files (just the .ts ones are needed) to a PC and share them via a DLNA server (such a Windows Media Player) and play them via the HDR-1xx0S media player - Home > Humax etc.

Discussion on certain aspects of one possible extra add-on to the custom firmware here is a little tricky, but I do not see any problem with discussing the installation and addition of the DLNA server. This would take only a hour or so and is easy, This would allow both units to be connected to the network and for both HD and SD files to be played.

Let us know which way you want to go and we can provide more advice.

| Sun 30 Aug 2015 6:53:38 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

NonGeek

Hey, thanks for the quick reply REPASSAC.
    The drive is a Seagate 2.5 500 powered by the USB Socket.
    My initial try was in FAT32 which recorded the SD files but partitions too small for the HD. I could not try this in the 1100S because it had not yet arrived. So, I re-formatted the drive to EXT3 to get the HDand although everything slowed d own to a crawl it seemed to be ok. At which point the 1100S arrived! I am using the Seagate Wizzer to format the drive. I will try your suggestions, for which many thanks but, not 'til Tuesday as "The Boss" wants to go away for a couple of days ( Oh the joys of retirement). I will update you then. I am surprised that Humax do not produce units that talk to each other, but then I am a non-geek!

| Sun 30 Aug 2015 8:23:18 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Any HD recordings you copied from your old Foxsat will be encrypted. Only the original Foxsat that recorded them will play them back. EXT2FS will let you use a EXT3 drive in Windows.

| Mon 31 Aug 2015 15:17:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

NonGeek

Thanks to you both,
    I have now got the SD files transferred across to the 1100S but, what a performance! I discovered that the 1100S does not like 500G drives but is ok with my Pen Drive and I happen to have a Hitachi 320 which is also fine so: because of the geography I had to transfer off the Foxsat to the Hitachi Formatted to Fat32, then transfer to my Computer, then re-format the drive to NTFS and copy back onto it. The 1100S seemed happy with that and I was able to copy the files onto it. At first I could not find the copied files but then instead of looking under "Recordings" I cheched out "Humax" in the settings and there they were and, played fine.

If you HUMAX guys are listening, why go to the trouble of giving us 2 USB sockets and then not bother to tell us how to use them and understand their menu's. The only place I found them mentioned in the User Guide was in the specs.

Now I want to concentrate on getting one HD programme across. I can use the FOXSAT as a playoff machine to copy from, I assume that it will allow downloads of it's own creations?

Any (Non Tech) suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for joining the thread grahamlthompson don't understand EXT2FS how to get and how to use?

Thanks again guys

| Wed 2 Sep 2015 12:00:52 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

EXT2FSD is a driver that allows a Windows PC to use a EXT2 or EXT3 (Linux format drive).

http://www.ext2fsd.com/

The HD recordings on your Foxsat are encrypted so will not play back on anything but the Foxsat that recorded the content. You can copy HD recordings to USB and play back from USB but only on the Foxsat that made the recording in the first place.

| Wed 2 Sep 2015 12:53:42 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

NonGeek

OK thanks foro the quick update grahamlthompson, seems like I best give up on the HD then, since I still have my Foxsat, I will have to get it out and play my HD recordings when I am feeling nostalgic, no sense in copying all over the place if I still need the Foxsat to replay so I have now officially given up!
    If anyone knows where I can legally download a full frame version of "Let it Be" Alicia Keys/John Legend ( Grammy Salute to the Beatles 2014) I would be grateful to hear from them.

Thanks again guys

| Wed 2 Sep 2015 13:15:41 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.