My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Freesat BBC channels stopped working

(18 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Cushie - 1 min ago  » 
    Hi Graham, I have 999 on the program guide but the channel 999 is "not receiving a signal"
    I am receiving Freesat through the Humax box which has no tuning (as the Television has but is not being used)
    In settings on the Humax the postcode is logged under "General Information".
    These channels work These don't work
    949,952,953, 957,958, 950,951,954,955,956,959
    961,962,963, 964,967, 969 960,965,966,968,973
    971,972,975, 977,978, 979 974,976,981,999
    From your list my working channels are mostly V except 949
    I don't get the 10000 H or V listed on EPG or Info
    I do have access to the dish and LNB
    Your response is appreciated, thank you.

I would say the lnb is dodgy and or you have water in the coax cabling. . Note without the transponder carrying the 999 Data stream - Freesat info you cannot setup the box.

This transponder (freesat home transponder), has the postcode translation data to set up your local channels.

When you enter a postcode a copy of this data is temporarily copied to your box.

This hides ITV regions so that you get the correct regional ads.

Reason why I posted the channel list is that whatever your postcode all of these should be present on a freesat device.

Your dish is too old to properly mount a new MK4 lnb.

If I were you I would first check carefully at the lnb end for any sign of water ingress and corrosion. If there is evidence of this replace the cables with Webro WF100 cable. Use lnb boots and silicon grease to ensure water does not get in again.

Replace the dish with a MK4 Sky dish and quad lnb. Google how to fit screw on f Connectors,

Either this one

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hunax-aura/page/13#post-81612

or for improved bad weather performance

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zone-1-60cm-Satellite-Dish-MK4-and-4-way-Quad-LNB-For-Sky-HD-Freesat/281043842833?hash=item416f84b711:g:iG4AAOSwTO9dnvPt

If it was a Foxsat-HDR with the custom firmware you can unhide these so they all appear in your epg.

| Mon 9 Nov 2020 15:45:14 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Cushie

Thanks for all your effort there Graham, it looks like a major update of the dish system. I did check the input connectors at the box end today and refitted all good. I'll check the outdoor connectors tomorrow and be prepared for a total update! Thanks for itemising the latest spec. Most appreciated and best wishes.

| Mon 9 Nov 2020 19:01:24 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Cushie - 14 mins ago  » 
    Thanks for all your effort there Graham, it looks like a major update of the dish system. I did check the input connectors at the box end today and refitted all good. I'll check the outdoor connectors tomorrow and be prepared for a total update! Thanks for itemising the latest spec. Most appreciated and best wishes.

You are welcome. Actually it's not that hard to set up a dish without anything other than the receiver using the built in metering.

I kept an old sky-HD box I had given me to setup my zone 2 dish.

There are a number of threads from caravaners/campers who have done this many times.

Dishpointer.com is invaluable in locating the direction your dish should point (azimuth) to lock on to 28.2E.

You get a google earth view you can zoom into to locate your dish location and drag the the point to the exact location.

I have a neighbours house across the road and the right gable end of his roof is smack on for azimuth for 28.2 E.

The new dishes lack a elevation scale. Use a vertical spirit level and measure the gap on your existing dish to get close to the correct elevation.

| Mon 9 Nov 2020 19:29:18 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Cushie

Thanks Graham. All understood.

| Mon 9 Nov 2020 23:44:50 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Cushie

Had a good look at the dish and condition seemed very reasonable except the outer rim of the LNB was decomposing and dusty made me suspect a possible area for water ingress, My self amalgamating tape on the connectors looked secure. So I took a leap and bought a Labgear VK4L 4 outlet LNB (Screwfix) that looked identical to my existing and a similar bracket connection. I set the skew to -15 Clockwise. Between thunder and rain showers today I removed the old lnb and remade the F type connectors on the cut back cable. Back on the Humax tuners >settings >system information >signal strength I got 100% both signal and quality readings on both channels. received channel 999 and all the others were intact, Did not attempt to realign the dish which seemed secure.
    Very pleased with the results.
    Thanks Graham and advisers with you marvellous support and recommendations!

| Sun 15 Nov 2020 20:50:41 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Cushie - 4 mins ago  » 
    Had a good look at the dish and condition seemed very reasonable except the outer rim of the LNB was decomposing and dusty made me suspect a possible area for water ingress, My self amalgamating tape on the connectors looked secure. So I took a leap and bought a Labgear VK4L 4 outlet LNB (Screwfix) that looked identical to my existing and a similar bracket connection. I set the skew to -15 Clockwise. Between thunder and rain showers today I removed the old lnb and remade the F type connectors on the cut back cable. Back on the Humax tuners >settings >system information >signal strength I got 100% both signal and quality readings on both channels. received channel 999 and all the others were intact, Did not attempt to realign the dish which seemed secure.
    Very pleased with the results.
    Thanks Graham and advisers with you marvellous support and recommendations!

Excellent result. Thanks for posting the outcome

| Sun 15 Nov 2020 20:56:13 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Cushie

Post Script: I broke off the white cover of the NLB inside the casing was designed to trap water (but not 100%) and I poured out about a teaspoon of water! Amazed it even worked at all!

| Mon 16 Nov 2020 17:13:22 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Cushie - 1 hour ago  » 
    Post Script: I broke off the white cover of the NLB inside the casing was designed to trap water (but not 100%) and I poured out about a teaspoon of water! Amazed it even worked at all!

Fit these over your f connectors and apply silicone grease to the end of the cable before screwing them on. Much easier than trying to use self amalgamating tape on a fully loaded quad lnb. Fit them over the cable and push them right up once the rain cover is pulled down.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weather-Protection-Grommets-Insulating-F-Connector/dp/B00NLHB2JW/ref=pd_lpo_23_img_1/258-8103169-6205956?_encoding=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&pd_rd_i=B00NLHB2JW&pd_rd_r=1bf03f14-9066-45ba-a1e4-8015ba4f6e77&pd_rd_w=plEui&pd_rd_wg=E0FsF&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=XZ1H47EHVWMH55WJDB0X&psc=1&refRID=XZ1H47EHVWMH55WJDB0X

| Mon 16 Nov 2020 18:58:31 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.