My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Freesat problem

(58 posts)
  1. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

My freesat has just started to give me problems after nearly 12 years have trouble free performance.

After turning on it plays the channel it's on, and when I select an option, nothing happens. The remote flashes ok. After several minutes it then performs the action requested. And then does not respond to another selection, and this goes on and on. The suddenly reboots, and the same sequence happens.Sometime the picture freezes, but the sound goes on !

Any ideas ?

| Sun 28 Oct 2018 7:38:03 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

First try a reset to defsult (factory reset) - this will loose your recording schedule but not your recordings.

I think it must be around 10 years old rather than 12 but both are excellent ages for A PVR.

How frequent are the reboots? I ask because the Foxsat uses a static buffer file to records whatever you are watching and this can become corrupt. It is possible with the custom firmware addons to rename it so that the system recreates it elsewhere on the drive, otherwise a hard-disk reformat will recreate the file in the same location. Try the reset first.

| Sun 28 Oct 2018 8:36:34 #2 |
  3. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

I am unable to get to the reset option, unless there is some magic startup combination I am unaware of.

I can only get so far in the menu and then it just hangs up. Perhaps if I wait it might allow me to continue and evntually get there, I don't know.

| Sun 28 Oct 2018 8:41:15 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

No magic sequence - but if all else fails - disconnect the unit from mains, wait 5 mins then open unit and disconnect hard-disk power and SATA connectors. Repower and try again.

If this works then it points to the timeslip buffer file or disk corruption..

| Sun 28 Oct 2018 9:08:15 #4 |
  5. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

I have decided to buy a new HDR-1100S, which has arrived and now installed. First thing I wonder, if there is any custom firmware as in the previous HDR ?

And secondly I am going to try your suggestions, in the near future.

| Mon 29 Oct 2018 17:40:32 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sloppyjoe - 1 day ago  » 
    I am unable to get to the reset option, unless there is some magic startup combination I am unaware of.
    I can only get so far in the menu and then it just hangs up. Perhaps if I wait it might allow me to continue and evntually get there, I don't know.

open the case and disconnect the Hard drive power and data connections. Does the box boot up as a non recording box ?

| Mon 29 Oct 2018 18:08:00 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

sloppyjoe - 12 hours ago  » 
    I have decided to buy a new HDR-1100S, which has arrived and now installed. First thing I wonder, if there is any custom firmware as in the previous HDR ?
    And secondly I am going to try your suggestions, in the near future.

The HDR-1100S is well locked down, so no custom firmware.
    You will find the U.I. very different as it was specified by freesat rather than Humax.

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 6:37:57 #7 |
  8. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

grahamlthompson - 14 hours ago  » 

sloppyjoe - 1 day ago  » 

open the case and disconnect the Hard drive power and data connections. Does the box boot up as a non recording box ?

The box does indeed boot up and responds to the remote, all except the media button ! I tried to install a usb device and it says it's connected but the message stays on the screen and does not go away.

I did a factory reset and all went well. It did not take away the custom firmware which I am pleased about.

So is it the hard drive ? and what about the media button. Is this because there is no hard drive ?

Much appreciate your support

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 8:55:21 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You should have mentioned you have the custom firmware earlier.

There is a utility which could solve your problem called I think diskfix - Graham can you post the instructions please.
    Reconnect the hard disk and power and see if you can access the hung unit with telnet. This might be possible as the custom firmware starts before the Humax application.

Yes all the media is on the disk for so no Media is possible.

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 9:20:26 #9 |
  10. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

I just tried to telnet, but is complains it cannot connect on port 23.

I can ping it..

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 9:42:10 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.