My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Freesat/All 4 Issue

(10 posts)
  1. VFRRider

Chris Marsh

I'm not sure if this is allowed but I'm sur the Mod's will remove it if not (I'll not be offended if they do).

As stated in my other post I'm having issues viewing All 4 on my Humax 1010S and all content other than the Ad's are displayed in a 'Block Mode'. Now I have been speaking to Humax, C4 & Freesat and all initially try to say it's an unknown issue and probably down to my set-up or configuration. I don't believe this to be the case so I have set-up a little 5 question survey so that I can go back to all three and say look at this data.

The survey can be completed here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/YRDFCVH

Thanks guys and if anyone wants the results then PM me and I'll oblige.

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 11:02:46 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

To be useful you need an option for members do not have any current issues with all4 and to see if there is anything those with no issues have different to those who do. I did have the issue a while ago and barry was able to replicate (the thread is on this forum) . The problem was resolved for me. Checked All4 yesterday and watched content with no problems.

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 12:09:57 #2 |
  3. VFRRider

Chris Marsh

grahamlthompson - 43 minutes ago  » 
    To be useful you need an option for members do not have any current issues with all4 and to see if there is anything those with no issues have different to those who do. I did have the issue a while ago and barry was able to replicate (the thread is on this forum) . The problem was resolved for me. Checked All4 yesterday and watched content with no problems.

Thank you for your input I have added "No Issues- I can view all Programs" to the What content is affected?

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 12:57:21 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Can I suggest you add

ISP used

Specified Download Speed

If WiFi or Powerline approx speed achieved from box to router.

Method of connection of box to router.

Guessing there must be some external issues involved.

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 13:10:01 #4 |
  5. VFRRider

Chris Marsh

grahamlthompson - 1 minute ago  » 
    Can I suggest you add
    ISP used
    Specified Download Speed
    If WiFi or Powerline approx speed achieved from box to router.
    Method of connection of box to router.
    Guessing there must be some external issues involved.

Thanks again I should have thought about this a little more

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 13:12:11 #5 |
  6. Corrigap

Corrigap

Great idea, just completed the survey, though not sure how the hard disk size is relevant.

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 15:35:04 #6 |
  7. VFRRider

Chris Marsh

Corrigap - 49 minutes ago  » 
    Great idea, just completed the survey, though not sure how the hard disk size is relevant.

Thank You, I'm just looking to see if there is a pattern between the can and cannot's

Regards
    Chris

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 16:28:43 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jonwort

Hi
    I just spotted this thread. Was there ever an explanation/resolution to the All4 on-demand on Humax issue?

I have an HDR1000S connected via a secondary router. Over a 12 month period, I have tried Strong VPN and smart DNS services from SmartyDNS and Smart DNS proxy.

None seem to allow access to all of the on demand services (BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, Channel 5) from the Humax. Most commonly, it is a pixelated All4 which is the problem (no issues until you start 'play').

It is only the Humax which seems to have this issue, as these on demand services (including All4) can all be viewed from a PC connected to the same secondary router, whichever VPN/smart DNS service is used. I even took the Humax to the UK to connect it directly to a UK ISP to check All4 access, no problems!

Therefore, there seems to be some sort of technical incompatibility in the Humax application with transmission of some on demand services through a VPN/smart DNS routing. (With Strong VPN I could not get Channel 5 programs to load.)

This has become somewhat of a crusade, though SmartyDNS seems stable (except for the All4 issue). Is it worth me continuing to try different VPN/smart DNS providers to be able to watch All4 on the Humax - or do I give up and just watch it on PC or iPad instead?

Thanks for reading this far ...
    Jon

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 9:52:29 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The encryption used on a vpn connection will of course give you a speed drop. I would have thought the smartdns server would be OK.

For what it's worth All 4 works OK for me with NORDvpn with a UK IP address (I am in the UK) using a Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet.

If it helps you can use a chromecast with ALL 4 on a PC using Chrome. Just tried it out.

I will try it with a VPN UK IP address

It works OK if you disable NORDvpn's ad blocker.

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 10:03:09 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jonwort

Thanks for the feedback Graham.

Yes, DNS services do work fine for me when using a PC. What is puzzling is that the behaviour of players on my Humax HDR1000S (UKFSAA 3.00.77 of 26 June 2017) is different (and differs across the players between VPN and DNS providers I have tried thus far).

I have not tried NordVPN yet but it was on my hit list. I may give it a try next to see if I can get all players consistently on the Humax. This has become a challenge!

Jon

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 18:24:32 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.